Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GSMNP in May  (Read 4252 times)

duranash

GSMNP in May
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:07:34 pm »

I'll be traveling (from Denver) to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, starting approx. April 28th.    We will likely travel to the Winston-Salem area to visit friends, then on up into Ohio to visit family.  

We have obligations in the Gatlinburg area May 11-12th, but otherwise I'm open for any and all suggestions for landscape/wildflower photo-ops in and around that area.  We travel in an RV, and usually spend about 6 weeks or so.  Never been to GSMNP, so that's a "must do", but given that the "Big Gun" National Parks attract huge crowds, I am really interested in some of the quieter "off-the-beaten path" locations.  That said, I expect I'll crowd between the other photographers at Clingman's Dome on at least a couple of mornings.  Any photo-op suggestions in the "Park" will be appreciated.  Will the dogwoods and/or redbuds be blooming at that time of year?

Also, any suggestions for interesting towns/villages/hamlets where my wife can get an injection of shopping, and good restaurants will be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:08:28 pm by duranash »

MatthewCromer

GSMNP in May
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 04:35:56 pm »

You will probably be too late for the dogwoods, and definitely for the redbuds.  That said, there should be plenty of attractive spring greenery at the right elevation -- try the Roaring Fork nature trail and US 441 across the park to find the right location for "spring" during your trip.

Big Creek, off I-40 is very photogenic and worth a hike up to Mouse Creek Falls.

duranash

GSMNP in May
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:34:42 pm »

Matthew - thanks for your response.  How long is the hike to Mouse Creek Falls?  Any suggestions for some of the more popular areas inside the Park?  I assume Clingman's Dome is best at sunrise?  Seems like I read somewhere that the shots from the parking lot are better than trying to climb higher - any thoughts?

Jack Varney

• http://
GSMNP in May
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:33:45 pm »

Don't miss Cade's Cove.
Jack Varney

Peterretep

• http://www.mountainphotographics.com
GSMNP in May
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:16 am »

Miss Cades Cove, unless your into traffic and taking photos that will look similar to thousands already taken. There are many other good creeks, falls and trails. Tremont area and middle prong come to mind. I'd suggest you get a good map and see whats there. A real good treat would be to go to an area south of the park in the Nantahala Nat forest, a virgin hardwood area called Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest. Trees there are so much larger than any big tree I had ever seen.
Have fun.

seanw

GSMNP in May
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:50:08 am »

For wildflowers and to avoid some of the crowds, try the Greenbrier area. Tremont road / Middle Prong road runs along the river and is very nice. And the Little River Trail in Elkmont is also a very nice walk along the river.

Big Creek is nice but it's a bit of a drive if you're staying in Gatlinburg or farther away. Mouse Creek falls is OK but not one of the nicest falls in the park. The river scenics along the trail are worthwhile though.

I would say definitely do not skip Cades Cove. It's popular for a good reason but there is so much to see you can easily take original photos. If you're in to wildlife this is your best bet. The key is to be there about 1/2 hour before sunrise to get in line at the gate. Spend the first few morning hours there and head out by 10:00 AM and you'll miss the droves of people coming in after breakfast.

Sunsets at Morton Overlook can be really great. It's marked with a small sign and is before you reach Clingmans Dome road if traveling south on 441. But again be there early since parking (and tripod space) is limited and it can get busy.

Have fun but bring patience. I love this park despite the crowds. But it isn't nearly as bad in April/May as in late October! To really avoid the crowds, just get out and hike a trail. With the exception of a few very popular trails (for example: Laurel falls, Abrams falls, Alum Cave Bluffs, Chimney Tops) most are quite peaceful.

Paul Sumi

GSMNP in May
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:22:49 pm »

Tremont road / Middle Prong road runs along the river and is very nice. And the Little River Trail in Elkmont is also a very nice walk along the river.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another vote for Tremont.  I was there last October and the river / cascades will give you many photo opportunities.

Paul

duranash

GSMNP in May
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 03:13:40 pm »

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.  The Forum is a great resource.  I used similar info for a trip to Big Bend NP a couple years back, and even got a great Bar-B-Q recommendation for that trip!

Jon Smith

GSMNP in May
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 12:36:02 am »

Cades Cove is definitely a place to visit, but I'd say that *only* if you're willing to get there before everyone else & their brother, and their brother's sister, and her husband, and their 15 kids, and those kids' friends, etc, etc.  It's so much better when traffic is not bumper to bumper.

Joyce Kilmer is definitely a good trip, I think the trail loop is about 2 miles (??), not very difficult of a walk either.

When you head East to Winston, I would recommend hopping on the Blue Ridge Parkway when you climb Balsam Cap (just before you get into Waynesville).  Enjoy the Parkway until you get to Asheville (exit the BRP @ Hwy 191).  I can ramble off several GREAT spots to take short side-hikes for some great waterfalls.  In addition to those falls, Devil's Courthouse and Graveyard Fields are two great places to stop and see.  If time allows, stop for a meal at Pisgah Inn, it's worth the wait to get a table at the window... ESPECIALLY if you stop for supper in time for sunset!!!!

PM me if you're interested in the waterfall stops along the Parkway, or if interest dictates, I will add another post in the thread.