Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Recommendation  (Read 2516 times)

CCNautical

Camera Recommendation
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:00:38 pm »

Hi,

I am looking to buy a camera to do professional marine\nautical photography.  I am new to this so all recommendations and advice is appreciated.

I will be looking to process some of these photographs into fairly large prints 24X36 so I believe I will probably need a 12 Megapixel capable Camera.

Please Advise.

Chris..

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Camera Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:59:36 pm »

Hi and welcome to the site!

Your question is very vague (no budget mentioned, your experience, type of shooting) and open-ended. I'd say just read a lot of reviews here and elsewhere, visit shops, etc. This is especially important if by pro you mean your livelihood depends on your photography and your equipment.

For your environment you really need a camera with proper weather sealing. That's needed to protect from salt water which is pure death to metal and electronics. And since you're doing professional photography you need a second weatherproofed back as backup in that environment, especially if you do longer trips out-of-reach of 24-hour pro replacement services.

If you plan to do underwater photography that's a whole another ball-game and something which I know nothing about.

And if you need to go that large in prints, you would be better off with a 20+ megapixel camera.

With lenses a basic pro setup can easily cost 10k+ USD/EUR.

CCNautical

Camera Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 01:52:15 pm »

Feppe,

Thank you for your response.

No underwater photography.  Mostly pictures of sail and power boats, beaches etc.

Shooting experience I am a beginner. As far as budget, I am trying to keep that open ended so if you could recommend a few for varying price ranges that would be appreciated.

Chris...

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Camera Recommendation
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:33:57 pm »

Feppe,

Thank you for your response.

No underwater photography.  Mostly pictures of sail and power boats, beaches etc.

Shooting experience I am a beginner. As far as budget, I am trying to keep that open ended so if you could recommend a few for varying price ranges that would be appreciated.

Chris...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The best source for checking out the different options is dpreview.com. The two big pro brands with the most varied selection of lenses are Canon and Nikon. You might get away with the prosumer Canon 40D or the Nikon equivalent whatever it is, but the heavy-duty pro cameras from either brand would be a better choice due to better weather-sealing.

Short-list to start looking:
Canon 40D, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III
Nikon D300,  D3

The differences between the brands are largely in ergonomics and UI. Image quality discussions are largely academic among the above cameras of roughly the same megapixel count (ie. 40D vs D300).

DarkPenguin

Camera Recommendation
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:11:02 pm »

The Oly E-3 might also be a good choice due to its weather sealing.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Camera Recommendation
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:21:55 pm »

Hi,

I am looking to buy a camera to do professional marine\nautical photography.  I am new to this so all recommendations and advice is appreciated.

I will be looking to process some of these photographs into fairly large prints 24X36 so I believe I will probably need a 12 Megapixel capable Camera.

Please Advise.
Chris..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On the one hand you say you are a beginner, and on the other hand you are looking to make professional prints 24*36 inches. Are you new to photography or new to digital photographic processes? In either case there will be a substantial learning curve going from "beginner" to "professional". You will need to decide how much to spend on a camera at the outset of this process. Some people start with nothing but the best and wet their feet very well equipped. Others tread more gently and grow their expenditure with their expertise. This is largely a matter of personal preference and affordability.

Let us look at the size vs. megapixel relationships. You want your print dimensions to be 24*36 inches. Hence the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) is 1.5 and the long dimension is the width at 36 inches. Given the normal viewing distance for prints this size, your minimum print resolution should be 180 pixels per inch (PPI). This means that your width should contain 36*180 = 6480 pixels. The highest pixel count for a DSLR now on the market is the Canon 1Ds3, which at 21.1 MP would give you a long dimension of 5616 pixels. (You can calculate this quite closely by taking the sqaure root of the number of MP * 1000 and multiply that by the square root of the aspect ratio). Hence for you print size you would still need to resample the image from 5616 to 6480 - not a big deal. With cameras having fewer MP, the amount of resampling would be greater. For example a Canon 1Ds at 11.1 MP has a large dimension of 4072 pixels. Image quality is generally better the less you need to resample, but within limits there is a range of resampling over which the perceptible differences of image quality would not be bothersome.

If you wish to start with the highest resolution a current DSLR will offer you, then you have one choice: a Canon 1Ds3 at USD 8000. Sony and Nikon we hear will both be offering competitive cameras later in the year. Much more than that we don't know. Sony has announced their's apparently at 24 MP which will give about 6% more resolution than the current Canon 1Ds3 - not a big deal different. If you wish to buy a high quality camera with at least 12 MP, full frame (1.5 aspect ratio) and a very much lower price, you could buy a Canon 5D (at 2000~2500USD an excellent camera), or wait a while and see what their successor to the 5D will be, which is rumoured to be 16MP. There will probably be good deals on the market for a Canon 1Ds2 at 16 MP.  Remember that these prices are bodies only - lenses extra. If you wish to buy full-frame 12MP, your other option is the Nikon D3 at about USD5000 and in very short supply for now. It is newer technology than the Canon 5D and has features the Canon line lacks. You would have to evaluate whether those features are worth the price difference. As someone else mentioned, DPReview is a good place to go for feature-by-feature comparisons. Steve's Digicams is another useful site for that kind of research.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

vandevanterSH

Camera Recommendation
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 06:52:48 pm »

"Let us look at the size vs. megapixel relationships. You want your print dimensions to be 24*36 inches. Hence the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) is 1.5 and the long dimension is the width at 36 inches. Given the normal viewing distance for prints this size, your minimum print resolution should be 180 pixels per inch (PPI). This means that your width should contain 36*180 = 6480 pixels. The highest pixel count for a DSLR now on the market is the Canon 1Ds3, which at 21.1 MP would give you a long dimension of 5616 pixels. (You can calculate this quite closely by taking the sqaure root of the number of MP * 1000 and multiply that by the square root of the aspect ratio). Hence for you print size you would still need to resample the image from 5616 to 6480 - not a big deal. With cameras having fewer MP, the amount of resampling would be greater. For example a Canon 1Ds at 11.1 MP has a large dimension of 4072 pixels. Image quality is generally better the less you need to resample, but within limits there is a range of resampling over which the perceptible differences of image quality would not be bothersome."

An H3D-II/39 would avoid the need to resample for a 24x36 print. *g*
Pages: [1]   Go Up