Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide premium lens for 1ds Mkiii  (Read 17910 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Wide premium lens for 1ds Mkiii
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 10:41:24 am »

Gary, glad to hear your comments about the canon 35L lens, as I have this on order and hopefully will get this today.  Did you find that you had to make any adjustments for backfocusing with you 1DSIII?  I have heard good things about this canon prime and I needed a good general purpose lens and this one seemed to fit the bill.  eleanor

I use the Contax Zeiss  21f2.8, 28f2.8 and Canon 35f1.4L for wideangle duty on my 1DS3 and every one is spectacular. The 21mm is sharp from wide open to f16 centre to edge with no fringing at all, however it does suffer from minor distortion, almost a perfect lens. The 28mm is amazing centre to edge from f5.6 on with a tiny amount of fringing, and the 35L is spectacular from F1.4 to f8 in the centre and from f4 all the way out to the edges.

I have thrown out all my Canon glass except the 35L which is exceptional, and use Zeiss and some Nikkor glass now. My personal findings are such that unless you use the very best glass (and i'm not talking Canon zooms) you are wasting your hard earned cash on a 1DS3 over and above a 5D/1DS2 because you are already at the resolution limit with these previous generation bodies. Of course there are other very good reasons to own the 1DS3, but if extra detail is your aim and your not using the best glass be prepared to be dissapointed.

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

sean mills

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 11:34:10 am »

Gary, glad to hear your comments about the canon 35L lens, as I have this on order and hopefully will get this today.  Did you find that you had to make any adjustments for backfocusing with you 1DSIII?  I have heard good things about this canon prime and I needed a good general purpose lens and this one seemed to fit the bill.  eleanor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I concur that the 35 L is legendary. Street to landscapes to portraits, it's stunning on a 1ds3.

Henry Goh

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 11:51:29 am »

I have the 35L as well as the Nikon 28mm f/1.4  When I use the 28mm with a ring on my 1Ds MKIII, I find images from the Nikon to be even sharper.  With Live View, using the 28mm is quite easy.  Just some info.

eleanorbrown

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 02:47:59 pm »

I recieved my 35L a couple of hours ago and at first I thought, "oh damn, I got a bad copy", since I've heard so many people talk about bad "copies" and this wasn't as sharp as I thought it should be a f1.4.  

Then I did some backfocusing adjustments on my 1dsIII and the lens required about a +7 camera adjustment and my test shots at f1.4 were sharp after all.  I don't know whether this is a lens or camera issue (or both)  as all my 3 canon lenses (14II, 24-105 zoom and 90TS) have required a slight plus focus adjustment in camera (except my 70-200 f4 IS which didn't require any adjustment).

I'm wondering if the new backfocus adjustment option in the Canon D III series has eliminated the "try out many copies of a lens" problems.  Seems to me all that is needed for a so called "bad" copy, is a back focusing adjustment option in the camera.  correct me if I'm wrong.  Eleanor

I concur that the 35 L is legendary. Street to landscapes to portraits, it's stunning on a 1ds3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 03:39:14 pm »

Good to hear you got a good copy of the 35L Eleanor. I also had to adjust for backfocus on my 1DS3, but as most of my work is tripod based i almost always use live view for focussing, makes me wonder how i ever got by without it now as it's so accurate.

Enjoy your lens.

Gary.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:58:50 pm by Gary Yeowell »

eleanorbrown

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 04:54:47 pm »

Wow! I've not used live view for focusing until now and it is extremely accurate.  great for tripod use! eleanor

Good to hear you got a good copy of the 35L Eleanor. I also had to adjust for backfocus on my 1DS3, but as most of my work is tripod based i almost always use live view for focussing, makes me wonder how i ever got by without it now as it's so accurate.

Enjoy your lens.

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up