Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji Has the marketing right.  (Read 5289 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Fuji Has the marketing right.
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:20:01 am »

I was looking at cameras tonight on B&H's website and cam upon the Fuji weather sealed UV/IR DSLR APS camera at 12.5MPs.

I would like to see some reviews on that camera. If it's a good as the 5D image wise, it's a better investment, even though it's 500 US more. It's weather sealed and offers UV and IR capability.

But what is even better is that they make the backs for both Canon and Nikon lenses.

This is the way to market. Now you don't have to give up your lenses and buy new ones if you simply want to change backs, not lenses.

I wish Fuji had a 16MP or 21MP camera that offered both IR and UV, plus the other new technology. If it were less, and performed as well as Canon, it would be an upset in my book. In any event, they're in my opinion doing something here that will catapult them over other competitors, such as Sony, since most people are using Nikon or Canon lenses in this sensor size.

If you want to go Sony, even if they do offer something better than Canon or Nikon, you have to invest in a new line of lenses. My point is that if Sony and Fuji compete and both have similar offerings, Fuji is going to win out with those already invested in Canon or Nikon.

I never could understand why Sony didn't do that exact thing, instead of forcing a new lens kit. Yeah right Sony. You better have something unconceivable to get people to do that.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:51:17 am »

I was looking at cameras tonight on B&H's website and cam upon the Fuji weather sealed UV/IR DSLR APS camera at 12.5MPs.

I would like to see some reviews on that camera. If it's a good as the 5D image wise, it's a better investment, even though it's 500 US more. It's weather sealed and offers UV and IR capability.

But what is even better is that they make the backs for both Canon and Nikon lenses.

This is the way to market. Now you don't have to give up your lenses and buy new ones if you simply want to change backs, not lenses.

I wish Fuji had a 16MP or 21MP camera that offered both IR and UV, plus the other new technology. If it were less, and performed as well as Canon, it would be an upset in my book. In any event, they're in my opinion doing something here that will catapult them over other competitors, such as Sony, since most people are using Nikon or Canon lenses in this sensor size.

If you want to go Sony, even if they do offer something better than Canon or Nikon, you have to invest in a new line of lenses. My point is that if Sony and Fuji compete and both have similar offerings, Fuji is going to win out with those already invested in Canon or Nikon.

I never could understand why Sony didn't do that exact thing, instead of forcing a new lens kit. Yeah right Sony. You better have something unconceivable to get people to do that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173236\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
you do realize this is a modified s5 which is uses a nikon d200 body?  there are also differing opinions as to whether fuji's super ccd is 12mps or 6mps as it "12 "mps seem to come from a combination of 6 million photodiodes for the main information combined with 6 million smaller photodiodes for highlight information.  
with all due respect, the fuji dslrs, seem to be  niche camera- the highlight capabilities  of the s cameras have made it a favorite among wedding shooters for example who need extra highlight room.  the kit you referenced is aimed squarely at the forensic crowd.  
you are also talking about cropped cameras vs. full frame.  as for your sony mount comment, since they purchased the assets of konica minolta, the mount was already in place.  if you look at the number of dslrs, fuji offers vs. what canon, nikon and sony are offering, i don't see how you conclude that fuji is competing in the same league...both olympus and pentax for example have a wider range of dslrs  than fuji .

dwdallam

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 05:27:24 am »

you do realize this is a modified s5 which is uses a nikon d200 body?  there are also differing opinions as to whether fuji's super ccd is 12mps or 6mps as it "12 "mps seem to come from a combination of 6 million photodiodes for the main information combined with 6 million smaller photodiodes for highlight information. 
with all due respect, the fuji dslrs, seem to be  niche camera- the highlight capabilities  of the s cameras have made it a favorite among wedding shooters for example who need extra highlight room.  the kit you referenced is aimed squarely at the forensic crowd. 
you are also talking about cropped cameras vs. full frame.  as for your sony mount comment, since they purchased the assets of konica minolta, the mount was already in place.  if you look at the number of dslrs, fuji offers vs. what canon, nikon and sony are offering, i don't see how you conclude that fuji is competing in the same league...both olympus and pentax for example have a wider range of dslrs  than fuji .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never said they were competing. I said "IF" they do then using backs that support Canon and Nikon lenses is a good idea.

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 08:23:43 am »

I never said they were competing. I said "IF" they do then using backs that support Canon and Nikon lenses is a good idea.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
fine,  but the problem with your "if" is  that  since fuji is using a nikon d200 body for its cameras (and has been using nikon based bodies for its earlier iterations of the "S"), support at the very least of canon lenses is not an option and will remain that way unless they add an additional body with a canon ef mount:  the kodak 14 dslr took the approach you are suggesting supporting nikon and canon lenses and look at where those cameras are  today.

Hank

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:27:18 pm »

We used the various models of the Fuji S line for years (Nikon lenses).  All discussion of sensors aside, and I mean ALL discussion, the models have tiny buffers, slow write speeds and abhorrent battery life.  Images were great for our commercial needs, but life with the camera sucked.  We're driving D2X's for a living now, and won't go back to Fuji till their mechanics catch up.  I don't much care about any more updates or reinterpretation of their ad language or their sensors, because those were just fine for our needs.  But in actual use, the body functions couldn't keep up with our needs.  As our daughter would say......  Ick!

dwdallam

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 01:53:07 am »

OK for the record, I said that Fuji's "marketing approach" is on target. Their Camera's may be crap, like the Kodak's perhaps, but that marketing approach is a no brainier to me--given that all Canon lenses will fit on their "Canon" body and all Nikon Lenses do the same.

I do like that Sony uses Zeiss lenses though since, I think, those lenses are superb, and even better than Canon or Nikon? Given that, if you had to switch to an upcoming Sony 21MPs camera because it does things as nicely or better than the Canon, the lenses would be a step up, instead of lateral or down. So at least you would have something to look forward to other than a drained bank account.

joedevico

• http://www.photographicdesigngroup.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:34:22 am »

not to nitpick to much but...it's a body, not a back, and where do you see it available in a Canon lens mount?

I always hear people talking about photographers switching systems...granted I'm sure sony would be happy to get users to switch, but does it not occur to people that there are probably tens of thousands of first time buyers each year and that a company as large as SONY can afford to market mainly to those customers. I don't think that they count on photographers to switch platforms when deciding whether or not to go ahead with a product or not.

Also - IF the Fuji were available in both lens mounts - it would have to fair better than the Kodak DCS Pro 14N and C models - which I know some photogs on this board like but never "took off" due to it's marketing strategy.

I understand that if a camera company can put out a great camera in both lens mounts and afford the dual licensing than it's a no brainer and that SONY may make more inital sales by doing so...but in the long run, if they get enough first time buyers, then they have their own solid cusomer base who would need to be lured to another platform - if they suceed (in their wildest dreams) maybe someday we'll see a Canon or Nikon in an Alpha lens mount?  
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:36:50 am by joedevico »
Joe DeVico
the PhotoGraphic Design Group

dwdallam

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:06 am »

not to nitpick to much but...it's a body, not a back, and where do you see it available in a Canon lens mount?
I always hear people talking about photographers switching systems...granted I'm sure sony would be happy to get users to switch, but does it not occur to people that there are probably tens of thousands of first time buyers each year and that a company as large as SONY can afford to market mainly to those customers. I don't think that they count on photographers to switch platforms when deciding whether or not to go ahead with a product or not.

Also - IF the Fuji were available in both lens mounts - it would have to fair better than the Kodak DCS Pro 14N and C models - which I know some photogs on this board like but never "took off" due to it's marketing strategy.

I understand that if a camera company can put out a great camera in both lens mounts and afford the dual licensing than it's a no brainer and that SONY may make more inital sales by doing so...but in the long run, if they get enough first time buyers, then they have their own solid cusomer base who would need to be lured to another platform - if they suceed (in their wildest dreams) maybe someday we'll see a Canon or Nikon in an Alpha lens mount? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought about that too. First time buyers, those savvy  enough, will consider the best buy for their ,money. So if they think they really like Canon, but that Sony is looking good right now, then if the Sony had a back that took Canon lenses, they may well buy the Sony, knowing they can switch to a new Canon Back and not need to switch lenses.

As far as the Canon Back, I don't see it. I really thought I saw both Canon and Nikon, but maybe I was mistaken. I even went to the Fuji website and can't find it. ??

Hank

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 02:19:16 pm »

Since this started out on the Fuji marketing strategy, I'm going to stick to it.

The biggest problem with Fuji's strategy was putting all their R&D eggs in the sensor basket while ignoring mechanics, then marketing the dickens out of image quality while their body mechanics lagged woefully behind the rest of the market.  That was poor strategy for long term sales, but it's easy to imagine their gurus slathering on the sensor hype while sweeping mechanics under the carpet.  "Surely folks will be happy just to get such a great sensor."

And it is a great sensor.  But the photographers who fit the profile of their campaign, i.e., who won't place great demands on the mechanics, is very small compared to the larger population.  The model is basically suitable for studio photography.  It's mechanics are too limiting even for the spectrum of activities required in wedding work.  We tried several of the 5 seriously and thankfully dumped them.  Fuji is going to have to make great technical strides before we ever again fall victim to their marketing department.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 02:20:34 pm by Hank »
Pages: [1]   Go Up