Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D2X vs. 5D @ 100ISO  (Read 2134 times)

friml

• http://
D2X vs. 5D @ 100ISO
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:54:34 am »

Im hoping to soon upgrade to an old D2X, since my D2H is really not cutting the mustard these days.

I few months back, i organised a shoot and knowing that it was going to be rather low key, i opted to use a friends 5D/70-200.

Editing these files were a treat to say the least for a 4MP camera owner.  

Here comes the question.  Since the majority of my work is done with flash, the D2X will almost always be shot on its base ISO of 100.  I know the 5D will kill the D2X in ISOs higher than this, but how could it compare @ 100ISO.  Particulary in darker images.  Im asking becuase i havent worked with a d2X with flash gear, but had this experience with the canon, and was very happy.  Will i be as happy with the files from the D2X @100?

Thanks.

John Sheehy

D2X vs. 5D @ 100ISO
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:20:02 pm »

The 5D has a read noise floor about 1 stop lower than the D2X at ISO 100, and collects about 0.8 stops more photons at the same exposure, giving about 0.4 stops less shot noise.

That is in the RAW capture, but Nikon conversions are usually done with total desaturation of the deepest shadows, and stronger chroma filtering in the brighter shadows and darker midtones.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
D2X vs. 5D @ 100ISO
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:59:55 pm »

The 5D has a read noise floor about 1 stop lower than the D2X at ISO 100, and collects about 0.8 stops more photons at the same exposure, giving about 0.4 stops less shot noise.

That is in the RAW capture, but Nikon conversions are usually done with total desaturation of the deepest shadows, and stronger chroma filtering in the brighter shadows and darker midtones.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some of your answers scare me John. This one particularly did.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up