Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Misspelling "Losing" as "Loosing"!!!  (Read 161643 times)

Rob C

Stop Misspelling "Losing" as "Loosing"!!!
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2008, 11:34:19 am »

Sunesha

Lens is singular; lenses is plural of lens.

I have no problem at all with foreign people who write in English without being correct all the time; if anything, I think they deserve great credit for trying!

I do not feel so kind-hearted towards British people who do not speak their mother tongue properly because I believe there is no valid reason for that failure other than a personal one. For many years all British children have had access to education and, as with everything in life, there are those who take advantage of the opportunity offered to them and those who waste it, their own time and the time of those employed to teach them. It´s THEIR educational failure, not a failure of the system, as so many bleeding-heart amateur (and professional) politicians would have us believe.

However, though you say you are smart enough to understand the different meanings of "lenses or loosing", problems arise when other peole are not as smart as you may be. That is why there is so much small print in contracts and it is failure to understand the small print that leads to disaster, Whilst contracts may be a rather extreme example, the sense of the example remains valid in many less severe instances of communication.

Bernie

The problem with Gaelic is that it is a minority interest which has the opposite effect to that which language is supposed to have: instead of promoting communication it promotes isolation.

Practice is the noun; practise is the verb.

Niko

You are absolutely right about the local languages or dialects being problematic even for those that speak one or the other of them.

Here in Mallorca the basic language is Mallorquin, which in turn is supposed to be a form of Catalan (which your friends in south-western France will know all about) but, strangely enough, this Mallorquin language itself varies from village to village. So, even within a tiny island, there are differences mainly resulting from the olden days when travel was by mule or foot and villages were almost countries apart though only ten or fifteen kilometres might separate them.

The result of this is that native children of Mallorca learn to speak in two languages: Mallorquin and also official Castilian Spanish. Cleverly, they now have the burden of a third, Catalan, on top of that, a political ploy designed to appease the separatist movement within the community - as far as I can understand.

So, in a place where you drive the length of the island in about an hour and a half, you have three official languages. Bravo!

Forgot to mention: the law here is now no longer Spanish alone; lawyers have the opportunity of charging for helping you with staying within the European set of golden rules as well!  Somebody always manages to make things pay well!

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:38:05 am by Rob C »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2008, 01:15:17 pm »

The problem with Gaelic is that it is a minority interest which has the opposite effect to that which language is supposed to have: instead of promoting communication it promotes isolation.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The same could have been said about Welsh. The English made a damn good try at eradicating it, yet now, thanks to S4C [the Welsh channel] and less bigoted behaviour than before, it's more popular now than it has been for a very long time and I think it enriches the culture rather than isolating it. It's not as if one is forced to learn Gaelic or Welsh and not English, whereas the opposite was true once and guess what, that produced a lot of ill feeling.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2008, 01:50:16 pm »

I do not feel so kind-hearted towards British people who do not speak their mother tongue properly because I believe there is no valid reason for that failure other than a personal one. For many years all British children have had access to education and, as with everything in life, there are those who take advantage of the opportunity offered to them and those who waste it, their own time and the time of those employed to teach them. It´s THEIR educational failure, not a failure of the system, as so many bleeding-heart amateur (and professional) politicians would have us believe.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob, no matter how good the teachers may be, there is no way I will ever be good at singing. Why? I have zero talent in that area. Just like some people are rubbish at maths or English or sport or whatever. Does that make me or them failures? We all have abilities in some areas, yet are are awful at others and you know what, it's a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm sure there are plenty of people whose English skills you may abhor, who are much better skilled than you in areas you lack. How would you feel if they dismissed your lack of skills in areas they found so very easy, as a lack of effort on your part?
My sister and my best friend from school cannot spell, my sister is dyslexic and my friend is simply hopeless at remembering words [and directions for that matter], yet he has a phenomenal memory for things I struggle with and is generally a very smart chap, in spite of his rubbish spelling.

I don't think it's having a bleeding heart, as much as empathy for others and realizing we are unequally gifted, just like some people cannot teach, including those paid to do so. I had quite a few of them at school and it was a good school, but some of the teachers dear me, absolute rubbish! And I doubt that's changed. So would it be the kid's fault if they failed? I had a crap maths teacher, but was fortunate in having parents who could afford a private tutor and suddenly I could whizz though past A-Levels papers that previously baffled me. Would you say those who couldn't afford such a luxury were failures because of their own doing?
Things aren't just black and white, there can be many reasons for a particular outcome and you seem to only see one, you sound more and more like a typical fulminating columnist from the tabloid press.

How good is your Castilian, Catalan, Mallorquin BTW?

jjj

« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2008, 01:51:52 pm »

But I'm glad to have learnt (even very imperfectly) english.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wish  I could speak any language as 'imperfectly' as you.

jjj

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2008, 01:57:04 pm »

Otherwise I think English is a simple language for us swedes. As we dont dub any movies we grow up with english. Another way to see a diffrences how you learn languages. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It also helps that Swedish and English are both Germanic languages, but the main thing as you point out, is you were exposed to it from young age. Native English speakers very rarely get that opportunity. And even when we try and speak the local language, everyone uses you as a way to practice English.  
I've spend a fair bit of time in Sweden over last few years and you never get to learn any Swedish.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 01:57:41 pm by jjj »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2008, 03:35:44 pm »

I visited the UK last year to see the places where my Welsh and Scots greatgrandparents were born (and managed to find 2 of their houses). Arriving in London I remembered how much I loathe big cities, so after pleading with Hertz got my car early, and by 8pm was sitting in a pub in Fishguard listening to a trad music session.
Anyway, there was something strangely comforting about hearing Welsh spoken in the street every day, like relaxing in a well used living room. I didn't hear Gaelic spoken in Scotland  until I got to the Isle of Lewis. Now my greatgrandmother didn't speak English when she emigrated to Australia, and I feel oddly sad a language should disappear from everyday speech so quickly.
David

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2008, 08:09:37 pm »

The problem with Gaelic is that it is a minority interest

Gaelic isn't an INTEREST, it's a LANGUAGE.

instead of promoting communication it promotes isolation.

That's probably because people like you refuse to embrace it, or at least accept it for what it is.

And by the way, how do I add a quote showing the details of the person who wrote the quote?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:10:56 pm by bernie west »

TMcCulley

• http://
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2008, 01:21:53 am »

This thread is amazing.  From a simple complaint about a what was most likely a typing error we have covered educational, socialogical and political agendas.  Now we are devolving into fanboy reactions about local language and dialects.  

Rob C did not denigrate anybody's local communication preference but stated that multiplicity of language and language varients does not foster communication regardless of the beauty or tradition.  He also did not say that you needed to be able to write a best selling novel or be a columnist for the London Time but that you should have participated in your education and achieved at least a minimum level of competence.  He is correct.  Education consist of two parts teaching and learning.  It is the students job to learn even some things that are very challenging, may not be of much interest, or any fun.

I would hypothesize the greater the effort put into learning the lower the requirement for teaching.  As photographers we probably learn the best when we learn from experience.

Tom

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2008, 05:18:10 am »

That's probably because people like you refuse to embrace it, or at least accept it for what it is.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I still got mixed feelings about the question of replacing a local language by a wider-based one, because I know it would be a heartbreaking experience for those whose (?  , please correct if needed) it is the mother language...

But though, I do agree these local languages mainly promote isolation - it's simply the Babel Tower syndrome, and you can't ask someone to know every regional language in the world.

Practical answer : Bernie, how would you manage to be understood in Iceland (a goooorgeous photographer's destination, if any)?
Very probably, by speaking english (which most young people speak fluently in Iceland), not icelandic (I tried a few words but phewwww, it physically hurts if you didn't learn it at 1!)
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2008, 07:33:14 am »

It also helps that Swedish and English are both Germanic languages, but the main thing as you point out, is you were exposed to it from young age. Native English speakers very rarely get that opportunity. And even when we try and speak the local language, everyone uses you as a way to practice English.  
I've spend a fair bit of time in Sweden over last few years and you never get to learn any Swedish.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171285\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So true. one off my good friends is from London. I spoke english with him for last 8 years he lived here in Sweden. I was surprised 6 months ago when he met my grandmom and spoke fluid swedish.

So I asked him why didnt speak swedish. He just said there was no use speak swedish. Girls found him more interestning when spoke english

I am big kung fu movie fan, I hate when they dubb movies to english from chinese.

I think we would learn alot faster if we are exposed to diffrent languages. In the western world I am so used to use english. Even that I speak both spanish and german I get by my english. I have to force myself to train german and spanish.

We have the same debate in sweden by the elder population that they are afraid that our swedish language will die.

For example I admire Franch and Iceland they keep their language un-populleted.
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

papa v2.0

« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2008, 07:35:40 am »

there's only one gaelic word i would use for RAB C

'sasunnach'

Rob C

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2008, 08:09:58 am »

As with the Canon v. Nikon nonsense, there is no way that two tribes (or more) will ever agree to anything.

I suspect that the truth underlying what I have written is well-enough understood by some of those more inclined to argue in order to feel happy at the last word (theirs) but for myself, it really matters little.

Futt Futt wonders how good my Spanish  (of the three local varieties)  is: short answer is that I get along in Castilian, have no interest in the other two. Trouble is, from your perspective, even if my own use of a foreign language was really poor, it would still be a foreign language to me, and I specifically excluded foreigners from any blame.

Ciao, buenos dias, bon dia....

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:13:27 am by Rob C »

jjj

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2008, 08:59:12 am »

And by the way, how do I add a quote showing the details of the person who wrote the quote?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just click on the reply button of the post you want to quote and edit out any non relevent parts if need be.

jjj

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2008, 09:46:06 am »

As with the Canon v. Nikon nonsense, there is no way that two tribes (or more) will ever agree to anything.
Lots of Canon users are glad that Nikon has made better cameras, so not quite true. I think the new D3 is great and with the new W/A and tilt lenses Nikon is now making up some seriously lost ground. Looking forward to seeing the new Sony chip in a Nikon. And I own Canon Cameras. At present.

I suspect that the truth underlying what I have written is well-enough understood by some of those more inclined to argue in order to feel happy at the last word (theirs) but for myself, it really matters little.
It's only truth as far as you are concerned, some of it is ignorant nonsense as far as I'm concerned.  

Futt Futt wonders how good my Spanish  (of the three local varieties)  is: short answer is that I get along in Castilian, have no intererst in the other two. Trouble is, from your perspective, even if myn own use of a foreign language was really poor, it would still be a foreign language to me, and I specifically excluded foreigner from any blame.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You assumed wrong, as I wasn't bothered about your spelling, I was just curious if you made the effort to learn the local language, as so many Brits don't bother when going to live Spain.
I want to live abroad, mainly so I can learn another language fluently. Castilian would be handy as it's so widely spoken around world and the Spanish are also very good at encouraging learning of the language via intercambios. But Barcelona would be where I'd want to live in Spain, a cosmospolitan city with hills and is on the coast, ideal by my books. Although I'd want/need to learn Catalan too.  But then, there's Nice and the Côte d' Azur and with Italy a  cycle ride away, very tempting...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:46:37 am by jjj »

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2008, 10:07:03 am »

Sunesha

Lens is singular; lenses is plural of lens.

I have no problem at all with foreign people who write in English without being correct all the time; if anything, I think they deserve great credit for trying!

I do not feel so kind-hearted towards British people who do not speak their mother tongue properly because I believe there is no valid reason for that failure other than a personal one. For many years all British children have had access to education and, as with everything in life, there are those who take advantage of the opportunity offered to them and those who waste it, their own time and the time of those employed to teach them. It´s THEIR educational failure, not a failure of the system, as so many bleeding-heart amateur (and professional) politicians would have us believe.

However, though you say you are smart enough to understand the different meanings of "lenses or loosing", problems arise when other peole are not as smart as you may be. That is why there is so much small print in contracts and it is failure to understand the small print that leads to disaster, Whilst contracts may be a rather extreme example, the sense of the example remains valid in many less severe instances of communication.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Increasingly less people in the UK speak the proper mother tongue as society here is getting worse with each generation. While some people aren't to blame because they don't have an opportunity for a better education, my wife is Taiwanese and even though her English competance is around 80% she speaks better English than a lot of people here, especially around the Birmingham area which we currently live in (and want to escape asap). She's horrified at the laziness of some of the local dialects.

I'm sick to death of all the local chavs with their "innits" (isn't it apparently) and "you know what I mean" (do I?!). I'm currently finishing off a HE course here but hoping to move to Edinburgh in a few months to do a degree in Photography then move to the far East. Can't wait!

sojournerphoto

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2008, 11:28:20 am »

a cosmospolitan city with hills and is on the coast, ideal by my books. Although I'd want/need to learn Catalan too.  But then, there's Nice and the Côte d' Azur and with Italy a  cycle ride away, very tempting...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Apart from the coast that sounds just like Sheffield, or even Leeds:)

Mike

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2008, 12:00:17 pm »

Increasingly less people in the UK speak the proper mother tongue as society here is getting worse with each generation....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
"Less" people? So chav

jjj

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2008, 12:00:49 pm »

Apart from the coast that sounds just like Sheffield, or even Leeds:)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171526\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well if you replaced Rotherham with the Gower coastline, it's be perfect, location wise.

jjj

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2008, 12:03:37 pm »

Increasingly less people in the UK speak the proper mother tongue as society here is getting worse with each generation. While some people aren't to blame because they don't have an opportunity for a better education, my wife is Taiwanese and even though her English competance is around 80% she speaks better English than a lot of people here, especially around the Birmingham area which we currently live in (and want to escape asap). She's horrified at the laziness of some of the local dialects.

I'm sick to death of all the local chavs with their "innits" (isn't it apparently) and "you know what I mean" (do I?!). I'm currently finishing off a HE course here but hoping to move to Edinburgh in a few months to do a degree in Photography then move to the far East. Can't wait!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There's always going to be a percentage of people [currently known as chavs]that do not speak BBC English and it hasn't changed or gone downhill of late. I wish I lived in the past that other people so fondly remember, It sounds so nice, everything was so much better then.

Rob C

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »

radders

What can I say? A little anecdote not a million miles removed from your own experience: our current local dentist comes from Santo Domingo via Miami; he has a friend living in Birmingham, England, and he was invited to visit there over the Christmas period. His first words to us when we went to see him about some dental problem after his return was this: why are there no English people in Birmingham? As with so much that is written, nothing can make up for facial expressions and body language of the excxhange.

I don´t think you´ll have much fun in Edinburg either - it has/had? the reputation of being Scotland´s drugs capital with all the crime that you´d expect. However, it does have pleasant enough buildings and some reasonable galleries and museums; not that I´m suggesting that Scotland is fast becoming a museum itself, a caricature of its distant past, perish the thought that I would! I do not believe that you will find successive generations have fared any  better in Scotland than in England for much the same reasons - life has become a vicious circle of financial need inspired by greed which in turn creates further inflation and further need and so on into infinity.

That sound a little strange to young ears, I am sure, but for the sake of explaining the point, let´s take the 50s as a datum line, if only because that´s the period from where my own memory starts to be reliable. The norm, in middle-class households at least, was for the father to go and earn the money for the survival of the family and the wife would manage the home and take parental care of any children. The system worked well enough, but then cultural changes crept into the equation and women began to seek work outwith the domestic domain. The huge debate ever since, for those interested in such things, has been this: did the women choose to take on external employment because they wanted to escape from maternal duties or did they do so because of financial need? In other words, I guess that I´m probably posing a classical chicken or egg question: did change happen by virtue of need or of desire? Not the same things at all.

But, the result has been catastrophic. Parental responsibility is largely absent with the resulting feral kids (not all from poor homes) owning the streets;  ready-prepared meals would seem to be normal as few people have either time, inclination or even the skill to use the glamorous kitchens that they buy; family life as in the tradition of marriage is fast vanishing - hell, the list is endless, but you get the picture. Before women´s lib gets dragged into this, let me say that neither my wife nor any of her friends that I met were ever shrinking violets - none had need of the sorority to promote their interests; they managed very well on their own, thank you.

The result of all the changing factors in modern life has been to create greater appetites and must-have attitudes which can only be financed (in general) via two salaries, to my mind the root of much that´s wrong with contemporary life.

The madness of uncontrolled immigration is probabably the single most talked about topic today in the British media - I need not go there here. (Interesting, that last half-sentence. I wonder what I meant?)

Futt Futt

I assumed wrong? Surely, you mean wrongly? Just teasing. Also, I don´t think it´s fair to include people with dyslexia and other problems beyond their control in this discussion. I have the digital equivalent of dyslexia with my fingers: I seem to hit the wrong keys with almost unlimited abandon these days - you are fortunate not to have to see my posts (except for the last one, written in a hurry and posted as lunch went onto the table, forcing me into an edit after lunch in order to save my blushes).

As for learning the language here in Spain - it depends where you live. In a tourist area as is mine, the problem lies in the opposite direction: try getting a local to speak to you in his language! They all want to improve their English and you become the ideal teacher. Well, sometimes they pick the wrong teachers, but how are they to know?

You mention a desire to live abroad. An admirable though I have to say, but one which you should consider very carefully. I have no idea of your age, though I imagine you to be fairly young - say under thirty-five? Neither have I any idea of your financial situation but let me say this: at one stage in my life I acquired an agent in Barcelona. He came over to the island to meet me and I mentioned that I´d been thinking of moving to Barcelona because of the model agencies etc. and he was horrified. He looked around my property here and informed me that to find something similar there would be beyond my reality as a photographer. Hardly surprising, really, just the same as was the situation when I lived in Scotland: my home, complete with purpose-built studio and parking for five cars (which we certainly did not have) would probably have bought a garage in London, a very convincing argument for staying where we were.

For what it´s worth, I think the ideal way to travel is on commission. You don´t have to slum it, you don´t have to worry about money - if you quote correctly - and can see life abroad at comfortable levels. That was very much an incentive for me all my career; however, it seems that since the advent of digital and suicide stock agencies, foreign asignments are becoming fairly rare.

I wish you luck with your ambitions - the only way to find out if they will work is to do it!

Ciao - Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up