Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens mount compatibility - Canon  (Read 2316 times)

Peter McLennan

Lens mount compatibility - Canon
« on: February 03, 2008, 02:47:59 pm »

I'm a Nikon user, so I need help with lens mount issues for Canon.

My friend has a 35mm film camera, a "Canon Rebel Ti" and she wants to go digital.
She's looking at a Canon Digital Rebel XT on the web and wants to be sure that her existing lenses will work on the new body.  The lenses are Sigma brand, but work well on the film body.  The new camera won't offer auto-focus with these lenses, of course, but she just wants assurance that the old lenses will fit and make images before she orders it.  
Are we good?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:59:21 pm »

The Rebel Ti was a AF camera.  The sigma lenses should auto focus with the new body.  The bigger issue is whether the Sigma lenses will operate stopped down with the new body.  (As Sigma didn't quite get the interface right and there were some issues.)  I would contact Sigma to find out which lenses will work.  If any do not she can also inquire as to whether they can be "rechipped".

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:25:23 pm »

The Rebel Ti was a AF camera.  The sigma lenses should auto focus with the new body.  The bigger issue is whether the Sigma lenses will operate stopped down with the new body.  (As Sigma didn't quite get the interface right and there were some issues.)  I would contact Sigma to find out which lenses will work.  If any do not she can also inquire as to whether they can be "rechipped".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, DarkPenguin.   Is this true for all the Canon DSLRs?  In other words, would another body be a better choice?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:32:09 pm »

Was the Ti released alongside the digital rebel?  If it was from the same time frame it might just work.

I'm not sure about all the Canon bodies but certainly everything from (and including) the Digital Rebel had some issue.  Not with all lenses.  Just a few older designs.

picnic

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 04:36:07 pm »

Was the Ti released alongside the digital rebel?  If it was from the same time frame it might just work.

I'm not sure about all the Canon bodies but certainly everything from (and including) the Digital Rebel had some issue.  Not with all lenses.  Just a few older designs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All Canon EF mounts fit all Canon cameras.  The EF-S lenses (recent) fit only the newer crop bodies--20D up.  The older Sigmas (and they need to be pretty old--the newer 'old' ones, they will generally rechip) in Canon mount fit all the Canon bodies.  They do make lenses now that are geared for the cropped bodies but are still able to be used by all cameras.

Daine
Pages: [1]   Go Up