Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Calibration Upgrade  (Read 2113 times)

MBehrens

Monitor Calibration Upgrade
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:18:22 pm »

I launched into a color managed environment about a year ago and had been doing what I thought was okay. I got a Spyder2 Express due to the cost and ease of use, fewer options were a good thing at that point in time. I later upgraded the software for the spyder and things changed dramatically, since then I have not trusted it. I inquired with ColorVision on an upgrade path to a PRO version and there is none for the Spyder2 line now that the Spyder3 is released... rrrr.

The one item that I realized was a huge gap in the Spyder2 was the lack of luminance adjustment. There have been other threads here on this topic that have helped me, thanks.

I am looking at the ColorEyes Display Pro (CEDP) software. It works with my Spyder2 hardware and seems very complete. Is this product respected in the pro world? I know, now, that the Spyder line has a dubious reputation with the pros.

I'm running the CEDP demo and it went pretty well, I think. Would like to ask for comments on my process and results.

PC OS: Windows XP SP2
Display: ViewSonic VP191
CEDP Settings:
Monitor Driver: LCD Brightness/Gains
Profile Version: ICC v2
Profile Format: LUT Based, 16bit
White Point: D65
Luminance: 115
  I set the Luminance to 120 prior to profiling, profiling changed it to 115
Gamma: L*
  CEDP seemed adamant that this should be selected rather than 2.2
Black Rendering: Absolute

Process:
Did the Precalibration to set the Luminance (120 cd/m2)
  Adjusted the brightness in the OSD.
  The red and green values were very close to 0, blue was -5, when I tried to adjust with the OSD things went dark. I reset to factoy defaults and stuck with just setting the Brightness.
Ran the calibration and saved the .icm file.

Things seem OK. Much different from the Spyder2 results.

Should I be concerned with the precalibration blue value?

CEDP Gamma L*, should I use this or stick with a straight 2.2? What is the difference, suppose I could search the ColorEyes web siite.

Thanks,

Morey
Pages: [1]   Go Up