Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem reflection of grass on skin  (Read 2219 times)

The View

Problem reflection of grass on skin
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:13:50 am »

I have a problem portrait, that I shot just because it was the right moment. For the portrayed.

But not for the light.

Now I have to different kinds of light. It's daylight, but because of different objects it's coming from it's like two different light sources, that don't match.

One of them has a lot of yellow (weird enough: it's the reflection of green grass. And even when I put the color picker on the grass in Hue/Saturation, it's recognized as yellow).

I got it somehow under control with curves/ hue/saturation.

The affected cheek just doesn't have this healthy glow the rest of the skin has.

The problem is, that the skin of the face doesn't have a homogenous appearance.

How do you deal with daylight of different character shining on the face of the portrayed?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

sniper

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:41:10 am »

Yoy could select a "good" face colour and paint it onto a new layer set to colour blend mode, that might help.  
Personally I like to use fill in flash to help control the lighting outdoord. Wayne
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:42:11 am by sniper »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:20:11 am »

Now I have to different kinds of light. It's daylight, but because of different objects it's coming from it's like two different light sources, that don't match.

One of them has a lot of yellow (weird enough: it's the reflection of green grass. And even when I put the color picker on the grass in Hue/Saturation, it's recognized as yellow).

Do two RAW conversions; one white balanced for the daylight, and the other white balanced for the area lit by the grass-reflected light. Paste the grass-WB conversion over the normal one, create a layer mask, and blend the grass-WB conversion into the normal-WB image by airbrushing the layer mask. I've used this technique to fix images with up 5 radically different light sources, blending 5 layers together.

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:57:37 am »

I like Jonathan's approach.

Color/tone adjustments will look more realistic than paint.

Regardless of the type of adjustments, or whether you make the adjustments in raw processing or in Photoshop, a job like this definitely requires masking.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

The View

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:25:12 pm »

Jonathan, Nat, and sniper, thanks for your replies.

I'll let you know how it went.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:30:32 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up