Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad HC lens shutter & motor life  (Read 6671 times)

NicholasR

Hasselblad HC lens shutter & motor life
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:16:35 am »

Hello all

I have been offered an HC 150mm very inexpensively, with 10,000 actuations on the lens.  Physically the lens appears in fine shape with a small amount of wear.  It focuses quickly, and all seems fine.

Is there anything to worry about with this amount of use on a leaf shutter?  Obviously anything can die at any time, but in general is there some sort of expected lifespan or MTBF for the hasselblad hc lenses?

I realize that a CLA at hasselblad USA would sort it out, but knowing the price that will cost, it really wouldn't make sense.   Hmm, maybe I just answered my own question.  This lens wouldn't see super high use from me though, as most of my paid work is with short focal lengths.  This would be for personal work and the odd portrait.

Thanks!

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:51:06 am »

Hello all

I have been offered an HC 150mm very inexpensively, with 10,000 actuations on the lens.  Physically the lens appears in fine shape with a small amount of wear.  It focuses quickly, and all seems fine.

Is there anything to worry about with this amount of use on a leaf shutter?  Obviously anything can die at any time, but in general is there some sort of expected lifespan or MTBF for the hasselblad hc lenses?

I realize that a CLA at hasselblad USA would sort it out, but knowing the price that will cost, it really wouldn't make sense.   Hmm, maybe I just answered my own question.  This lens wouldn't see super high use from me though, as most of my paid work is with short focal lengths.  This would be for personal work and the odd portrait.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172469\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would say my hc 80 has 15000+ on the clock,

That and my 50 bacame wobbly at the front - their service was $600 ish for both of them

No problems with the shutters though

My MF nikkors are from the 80's though - no problems either

10000 should even have worn it in ?

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

NicholasR

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »

I would say my hc 80 has 15000+ on the clock,

That and my 50 bacame wobbly at the front - their service was $600 ish for both of them

No problems with the shutters though

My MF nikkors are from the 80's though - no problems either

10000 should even have worn it in ?

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Sam,  The only leaf shutter cameras I have had have been mechanical, like the fuji 690 rangefinders and copal LF shutters.  10,000 on those is a service run.  I'm guessing electronic leaf shutters have a longer lifespan.

I'm assuming the 50 barrel must extend like the 80 does.  Mine is also a little floppy

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:33:42 pm »

Thanks Sam,  The only leaf shutter cameras I have had have been mechanical, like the fuji 690 rangefinders and copal LF shutters.  10,000 on those is a service run.  I'm guessing electronic leaf shutters have a longer lifespan.

I'm assuming the 50 barrel must extend like the 80 does.  Mine is also a little floppy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

my hc 50-110 shutter died with only 2200 shots on it. it cost more to repair(it bought it second hand) than it cost me to buy.

paul
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:30:53 pm by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

NicholasR

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 04:31:15 pm »

Turns out to be unimportant.  The lens shows considerable softness on the left side of the frame, with the bottom left corner being totally unacceptable.  Far softer than my 28 or 80.  Guess it's going back!

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:34:41 am »

how do you guys know how manyshots were taken with those lenses?
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:18:20 am »

how do you guys know how manyshots were taken with those lenses?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The H1/H2 display show this info if you go through the menuoptions to the system info part... It shows actuations on lens, body, magazine, etc. as separate entities.

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

josayeruk

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:25:18 am »

Turns out to be unimportant.  The lens shows considerable softness on the left side of the frame, with the bottom left corner being totally unacceptable.  Far softer than my 28 or 80.  Guess it's going back!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172542\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Plus the 150 has been redesigned, so probably not a wise choice for a second hand buy.

Jo S. x

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:44:49 pm »

my hc 50-110 shutter died with only 2200 shots on it. it cost more to repair(it bought it second hand) than it cost me to buy.

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We have (3) 50-110mm zooms in rental - 7,000, 11,000, and 14,000 actuations. We've never had a single problem with any of them. I also have an H3D customer (stock shooter) who occasionally shoots from a helicopter with the 50-110mm zoom. He's never had an issue. In fact, we have the entire lens lineup in rental (in duplicate) and other than one 80mm with a focus issue, have yet to send any in for repair.

Of course, now I do not recommend (nor does Hasselblad) shooting that zoom pointed down from a helicopter (there could be liability issues from the ground...) but Hasselblad has themselves cautioned about that.

In general, the H lenses have held up in our experience, although as with Paul, there can be exceptions from time to time, as with many fine products.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 03:16:59 pm »

We have (3) 50-110mm zooms in rental - 7,000, 11,000, and 14,000 actuations. We've never had a single problem with any of them. I also have an H3D customer (stock shooter) who occasionally shoots from a helicopter with the 50-110mm zoom. He's never had an issue. In fact, we have the entire lens lineup in rental (in duplicate) and other than one 80mm with a focus issue, have yet to send any in for repair.

Of course, now I do not recommend (nor does Hasselblad) shooting that zoom pointed down from a helicopter (there could be liability issues from the ground...) but Hasselblad has themselves cautioned about that.

In general, the H lenses have held up in our experience, although as with Paul, there can be exceptions from time to time, as with many fine products.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172760\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi steve, i wasnt trying make hasselblad sound bad, just saying what happened to me.

its probably a good example where maybe people shouldnt be a cheap skates like me and buy second hand lenses, and should buy new with warrantees.

down here in new zealand (small market, so everyone know each other) we do seem to be having a lot of h1 repairs though. it seems that everyone with an h1 has a repair or two on their gear/lenses early in its life. with a few phone calls i could come up with exact repair numbers/stats.
it wouldnt be such a big deal if the repair cost werent so high and the gear needed to be sent to the other side of the world and take months to come back (in new zealand).
but to be fair, i remember in the hasselblad V/ mamiyaRZ/645 film days, there was plenty of repairs happening. i used mainly mamiya 645pro, and pretty much wore out a body every two years. but the repairs would only cost a few hundred, and would done in a few days.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

NicholasR

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 06:58:08 pm »

hi steve, i wasnt trying make hasselblad sound bad, just saying what happened to me.

its probably a good example where maybe people shouldnt be a cheap skates like me and buy second hand lenses, and should buy new with warrantees.

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, I resemble that remark!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up