Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24-105 softness I need some help  (Read 8804 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
24-105 softness I need some help
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 08:39:55 am »

Mine was the exact opposite.  The 24-105 was noticeably soft everywhere once I used a good test subject (rock wall).  The 28-135 by comparison had one corner that was soft and the rest was far superior everywhere else.  Maybe I knocked some sense into it when I dropped it?? 

I will try again when I get where I am going.  Will be away for a prolonged period.  Should I order 2 or 3?  (For a thousand bucks you would think they could get the tolerances right!)  The lens I got was a sorry excuse for an "L" lens.  More like a "D" for DUD!  Its all packed up and ready to hit UPS for its return journey.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quite frankly, if the lens is that bad and you are going away for a long time, not knowing whether the duration of your absence exceeds the period of your return privilege wherever you bought it, the thought that comes immediately to mind is returning it before you leave.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 11:05:27 am »

Thanks Mark,

Maybe I was not clear, it is going back to the retailer.   I will be at our first destination for 3 weeks so I will have time to order another one (or 3) to test and hopefully keep!

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 12:49:15 pm »

How do any of you guys find dealers who are willing to play these multiple-supply games? I can see a chance of that if you are a pro, using one main supplier, and in your home town, but to expect that sort of uber-service on holiday is beyond my imagination.

I do envy your worlds!

Rob C

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 01:04:51 pm »

Rob, I don't know where you are posting from, but I'm sure the situation is uneven depending on location. Here in Toronto even our top-flight dealers catering to the pro market wouldn't stock more than several copies of the same item - especially expensive ones, but it is possible to get them to agree to a very short period for trial and exchange provided one is scrupulous about keeping all the packaging and returning the item in mint condition. Sometimes the price differences for the same thing between Toronto and B&H in NYC are so large even after adjusting for shipping, that it only makes sense to order from B&H; in that case, as long as I the customer am prepared to take the risk of return freight charges, one can send  stuff back and re-order - again within their stated time periods.

Coot

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 01:39:21 pm »

Doesn't B&H hit you with a restocking fee?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 02:05:28 pm »

Doesn't B&H hit you with a restocking fee?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only if you don't honour their return policy conditions which are here, and sensible:

[a href=\"http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp]B&H Return Policy[/url]

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 04:38:24 pm »

How do any of you guys find dealers who are willing to play these multiple-supply games? I can see a chance of that if you are a pro, using one main supplier, and in your home town, but to expect that sort of uber-service on holiday is beyond my imagination.

I do envy your worlds!

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One word:  Amazon.com

Did not talk to anyone.  Clicked on return.  Selected the reason, printed the rma and shipped it back.  Sometimes when you use Amazon it links you to one of their partners but this was direct with them.  Good price and the lens did not look re-packed.  But it very soft.....

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 03:28:51 pm »

I had the same problems with my 24-105 on my 5D. The first time I returned the lens only to Canon for adjustment it came back improved, but over the next 6 months, I finally decided it still wasn't as sharp as it should be, after comparing it with two other identical lens/camera set ups. So I returned it to Canon a second time and sent the 5D along with it. This time, they got it right and I am now very happy with the lens. The problem seemed to be the lens was focusing closer than it should have been using auto focus.

Hi,

I am trying to decide if I should hold onto this lens.  Read about so many people getting bad copies.  I shot some tests against my old 28-135 and the images do look better with the new lens in a way.  Better color saturation and some undefinable quality that seems more natural.  But almost all the shots seem slightly sharper with the 28-135.  Not all but most.  You really have to look at 100% to see the difference but it is there (unfortunately).

I am leaving on Tuesday on a trip so I either have to send it back or live with it.  If the images did not have better color I would not have a decision to make.  I also do not really want to go through the process of returning this lens multiple times until I get a good copy.  That just does not seem right.  Does Nikon have this problem with thier lens quality?

Constructive thoughts would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up