Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antarctic Ship Sinking  (Read 8880 times)

Sfleming

• http://
Antarctic Ship Sinking
« on: November 24, 2007, 05:50:01 pm »

I'm sure they weren't allowed any baggage in those lifeboats.  Ya think they got off with their camera equipment?  Can't find any reference to such in the news articles.  Does anyone know if there is insurance available to guard against such tragedies?  It would definitely be a tragedy for me if I lost the pro level dslr and lenses I had scraped and saved to attain after so many years of waiting.

DarkPenguin

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:12:55 pm »

I'd be happy to be alive.

I would keep an ear out for people reporting things like the captain saying something like "With these new double hulls you don't need to worry about ice anymore.  I'll show you."

airchinapilot

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 08:57:47 pm »

I would grab my media but leave the heavy stuff behind. I wonder if CF cards would survive a dunk? Anyone?

The photos cannot be replaced. The gear is insured.

I would keep an ear out for people reporting things like the captain saying something like "With these new double hulls you don't need to worry about ice anymore. I'll show you."

Huh? Was this reported anywhere?

DarkPenguin

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 09:06:22 pm »

I would grab my media but leave the heavy stuff behind. I wonder if CF cards would survive a dunk? Anyone?

The photos cannot be replaced. The gear is insured.
Huh? Was this reported anywhere?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It was like a joke, only different at the end.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 10:29:14 pm »

Probably not, but there are very good waterproof cases for CF cards.

I personnally always store my CF cards in one of those, which is itself stored in a full immersion proof stuff sack along with fresh batteries.

Cheers,
Bernard

mahleu

• 500px
Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:03:32 am »

I've heard of them surviving washing machines in pockets and stuff, salt water might be a little different. They are wuite resiliant though.

airchinapilot

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:56:24 am »

I've heard of them surviving washing machines in pockets and stuff, salt water might be a little different. They are wuite resiliant though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good point about the salt water. Salt water usually means death for any electronics.

I'll remember to get a waterproof case the next time I am travelling by sea!

framah

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:49:32 pm »

Of course, you could just always carry all of your equipment on you where ever you go while on board... just in case!  

Oh, and don't forget to always be wearing your heavy coat and hat and gloves... just in case!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Rob C

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 03:06:02 pm »

If God had intended us to survive on the ocean, He would have given us gills. Having webbed feet is neither excuse nor implied authority for such behaviour.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 03:07:35 pm by Rob C »

ajtaylor

• http://
Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 03:40:10 pm »

Good point about the salt water. Salt water usually means death for any electronics.

I'll remember to get a waterproof case the next time I am travelling by sea!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Salt water's ok provided you rinse it all off very thoroughly very very soon after immersion.

I've put cf cards and pen drives through the wash several times (ok, so I'm incompetent), with no problems at all. My little SanDisk Cruzer pen drive has had 3 washes, including a 90 degree...

framah

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 05:19:18 pm »

Who told you about my webbed feet???  
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 09:33:36 pm »

I think the risk is pretty low of a ship sinking (unless you're on a Greek Ferry  ) but it certainly doesn't hurt to be ready. On aircraft, you may be able to get away with a camera and a lens on your body under a jack (say SLR) but don't expect too much.

You'd need to weigh up the risks... For the case of Antarctica, it'd be a wise investment for some waterproof sealing for the camera equipment... For the english channel, you'd probably be okay with a plastic shopping bag (if you're nuts).

LoisWakeman

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:14:48 am »

A bit off-topic - but I was surprised there was no coverage of the possible contamination of the environment. At least on the typically sensationalist TV and radio news here (UK).

That seems a far more damaging possibility than the (admittedly annoying) loss of possessions. And a good reason to discourage casual tourism in one of the few almost-wildernesses we have left. Living a few miles from where the MSC Napoli was beached and having seen the mess that caused, I have a personal interest in this topic.

SAOslund

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 12:15:52 am »

As the physician aboard Michael's last 2 Antarctica trips, I can tell you that aside from pocketing their CF cards, and perhaps a camera hung around the neck, everything else went to go live with the fishes!!  Life boats are small!!  You grab your wallet, passport, medications, perhaps some small portable hard drives, don your Personal Floatation Device, and squuuueeeeezzzzeeee into the life boat.  Trip insurance exists for a reason, and anyone considering such a voyage should invest the few hundred bucks.  

Scott

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 08:34:59 pm »

As the physician aboard Michael's last 2 Antarctica trips, I can tell you that aside from pocketing their CF cards, and perhaps a camera hung around the neck, everything else went to go live with the fishes!!  Life boats are small!!  You grab your wallet, passport, medications, perhaps some small portable hard drives, don your Personal Floatation Device, and squuuueeeeezzzzeeee into the life boat.  Trip insurance exists for a reason, and anyone considering such a voyage should invest the few hundred bucks. 

Scott
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Scott, nice to hear from you!

I agree, thoughts of expensive equipment recede pretty rapidly when your life is in danger. But I do carry a tiny portable hard drive in my breast pocket, updated daily.....Gear can be replaced, the pix perhaps not, the life definitely not!

One of the criticisms from the enquiry of the crash of the Air France Airbus at Toronto Airport a couple of years ago is that many passengers exited the burning plane with the contents of the overhead bins. coats, briefcases, laptops and all! It was felt the airlines don't do enough by way of telling people to GET OUT and leave all belongings behind. Luckily no lives were lost.

Bill

airchinapilot

Antarctic Ship Sinking
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 12:31:49 am »

One of the criticisms from the enquiry of the crash of the Air France Airbus at Toronto Airport a couple of years ago is that many passengers exited the burning plane with the contents of the overhead bins. coats, briefcases, laptops and all! It was felt the airlines don't do enough by way of telling people to GET OUT and leave all belongings behind. Luckily no lives were lost.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162411\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Anybody who is trying to unload their bin ahead of me or my loved ones trying to get off a plane during an emergency is going to end up on the floor being used as a springboard for our escape.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:32:09 am by airchinapilot »
Pages: [1]   Go Up