Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos sliding around on scanner glass  (Read 2144 times)

marliz

Photos sliding around on scanner glass
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:12:18 pm »

I haven't found the right search terms or no one else has had this problem. It just started this year with my Perfection 4870. I can't get the photos to stay in place; there seems to be some kind of static reaction that causes them to slide away from where I put them. I have to spend time before finally getting them to stay.

I'm not getting any static shocks, have tried using something wooden to hold photo -- it seems to be the photo surface rather than my hands. I do wipe the glass often with a soft terry cloth to clear away smudges, and also tried plain cotton.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or heard of it. Suggestions for a solution would be really appreciated!

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:16:04 pm »

I haven't found the right search terms or no one else has had this problem. It just started this year with my Perfection 4870. I can't get the photos to stay in place; there seems to be some kind of static reaction that causes them to slide away from where I put them. I have to spend time before finally getting them to stay.

I'm not getting any static shocks, have tried using something wooden to hold photo -- it seems to be the photo surface rather than my hands. I do wipe the glass often with a soft terry cloth to clear away smudges, and also tried plain cotton.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or heard of it. Suggestions for a solution would be really appreciated!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is a "photo". Are you scanning prints or film? If film, what happened to your film holders? And did you know that on these scanners, that the plane of focus is above the glass a few cm? And they have very limited depth of field. Height is crucial. Which is why the film holders are necessary in part.

If a print, get some tape that does not leave a residue like drum scan tape from Aztec or Freestyle.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

marliz

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:43:42 pm »

Quote from: Kirk Gittings,Dec 19 2007, 04:16 AM
What is a "photo"... If a print, get some tape that does not leave a residue like drum scan tape from Aztec or Freestyle...[unquote]

They are actual prints, not negatives. Tape would be overkill because it would take longer than it does for me to fool around with the prints until they finally stay in place.

I wonder if the static (if it is static) builds up on the glass or on the print? If on the glass, maybe there is some kind of antistatic spray (I used to have one for my monitor) I could use that would be safe for the scanner glass. If the photo is the problem I can't think of any possible answer.

It's also strange that this just started happening in the past few months and I can't think what is different. Maybe I need to try a third soft cloth to wipe the surface to remove smudges. (The prints have been around a long time and were likely not treated with cotton gloves) :-(

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 06:14:30 pm »

Is your scanner level?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up