Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One H series on location  (Read 4271 times)

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Phase One H series on location
« on: December 13, 2007, 06:22:48 pm »

Hi, has anyone any experience of shooting with Phase One H series backs on location with the portable solution kit? Although I'd be shooting primarily in studio I'd like to shoot to a Mac laptop on location, which will include exterior work. Anyone with experience?

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:21:40 pm »

I shoot mostly tethered, but with the P25, I suppose they work the same. The back and portable work very reliably, I can plug and unplug anytime, release the camera or the computer doesn't matter. I never used it with exterior work, but the only problem I see is to have a laptop open, with any other device I don't see any problem. The only other concern is power. The FireWire is powering the back, so the portable has to be above 50% before the back begins to introduce purple lines.

I'm not familiar with the portable solution kit...

Hi, has anyone any experience of shooting with Phase One H series backs on location with the portable solution kit? Although I'd be shooting primarily in studio I'd like to shoot to a Mac laptop on location, which will include exterior work. Anyone with experience?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 12:40:57 am »

I used to work with an H-20 on Hasselblad and I occasionally did some out door architectural shots as part of other  indoor shoots with the back tethered to an ibook that I used to have. I had my assistant trailing around with the computer. It actually worked pretty well as long as the weather was good and I had the assistant with me. Even on Battery power. I know there are problems sometimes with different combinations of laptops and phase one backs and the purple line thing. From there not being enough power through the firewire port. I think it varies with the equipment. I never had the problem with the H-20. It may have been drawing less power then the P series without the screen. It is something you would just have to try out with your particular equipment.
I am not sure the old Phase One portable solution was that much less inconvenient.

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 04:02:33 pm »

Thanks for that David, after speaking to Phase One they intimated that an H back couldn't be run directly from a laptop so am delighted to hear of your experience. They were suggesting that I use an optional battery kit but that to me seems like an unnecessary hassle (and expense) Did you notice any problems as your battery started to lose its charge at all?

mikemigs

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:21:05 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=160497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried shooting tethered to my old Powerbook with my old H25 - got 20 shots before battery went completely dead. I recommend getting one of those portable batteries to plug your lap top into - can go for about 4  - 6 hours of shooting. No expereince with the portable-solution-kit - just so expensive.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:59:15 pm »

I think it really depends on your particular equipment. I was able to shoot 50 or so exposures without trouble and never had things run down enough to give me a problem. Maybe I was just lucky. There are those kits around on ebay sometimes. I also have regularly shot on location tethered with the laptop plugged into an inverter or generator with no problems at all.
I would recommend testing things out with your particular set up.
Phase One basically will not support shooting to a mac laptop at all with out some sort of power setup as the power through the firewire port does not technically exceed their spec's, but many people do it with no problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up