Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD consensus?  (Read 6133 times)

Mamiya ZD consensus?
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:33:51 pm »

I have read a smattering of reports on the ZD (SLR, not the back) but I am having a hard time getting answers to my questions.
I know some on this board have the camera, so here are a few of my questions.

1. is the SLR available in the US, and if so does Mamiya warranty it?
2. is the D.R. significantly better than that of the Canons?
3. Is there a reasonably low noise level at 100  and 200 ISO?
4. Is it reliable?
5. Does Mamiya have demo units to loan/do they conduct on-site demos?
6. It tethered shooting reasonably fast for fashion photography? (or is there a lot of waiting for the data transfer)

Thanks!

-ron

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Mamiya ZD consensus?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 03:33:07 pm »

4. my ZD is 3000 frames old. I have a firewire failure and problem with sync speed. The sync speed problem started to show after 2500 frames. Being fixed under warranty in Taiwan now...

6. I photograph fine art nudes and landscapes (10+ frames panoramas per image). Buffer was not a problem for my style of shooting. Saving jpg along with RAW delays write times.

considering my answer to #4, tethered shooting is not something you should count on.

Snook

Mamiya ZD consensus?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:14:33 pm »

4. my ZD is 3000 frames old. I have a firewire failure and problem with sync speed. The sync speed problem started to show after 2500 frames. Being fixed under warranty in Taiwan now...

6. I photograph fine art nudes and landscapes (10+ frames panoramas per image). Buffer was not a problem for my style of shooting. Saving jpg along with RAW delays write times.

considering my answer to #4, tethered shooting is not something you should count on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Why don't you just wait and see what Mamiya and Phase One have up their sleeve!
That would be a smart move I would say.
ZD might take a back burner soon...  
Snook

Mamiya ZD consensus?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 06:54:11 pm »

Yes Snook, I know there are new ones coming, just want to find out about this one, as it's relatively small and light, and I have no need for more resolution per se.

Thanks.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya ZD consensus?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:28:32 pm »

Hi
I don't use my ZD much for studio work but use it for stock. For example I am always shooting clouds & because the ZD has a better DR than my 5D the ZD is always used. I am nearing 6000 frames now & have had no problems. I find it a very easy camera to hold & use. I still believe it is a good idea to have both MFD & 35D if you can afford it. I always shoot in the 50-100 iso range. I know the noise has been improved on the recent ZD cameras as I need a firm ware upgrade. It would be nice to see a ZDII come along since the body has been built. If Phase works with Mamiya on this they would both increase market share if they keep the price @ the current offer of $10.000 USD.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Mamiya ZD consensus?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 08:17:29 pm »

Thanks mcphoto. So why do you not use the ZD all the time?

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya ZD consensus?
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »

Thanks mcphoto. So why do you not use the ZD all the time?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I find on AD jobs I prefer the Aptus 22 because of the buffer & the tethered software. I don't own a Aptus 22 but I felt for the price difference I could use the ZD for editorial & personal shots. On AD jobs we pass on the rental of the Aptus 22 ( Also have used the 65 & 75 )to the client. I also have two bodies an AFDII & AFD. On those AD jobs the ZD camera is in the bag ready to go if there is a back failure so it acts as backup. I am looking forward to the ZD been able to be tethered with the Phase One software in the future. What I have really enjoyed is that the ZD turns on in a few seconds, light weight, good battery life, excellent performance on P mode & I have the focus set to the rear just like my Canon 5D. I still feel that Raw Developer produces an excellent file with the ZD in about 10 seconds. For work flow I also use the RD for my 5D. You have to remember the ZD is about a 3rd to half price of the current 1.1x chips ( 22 mp ) digital backs from Leaf, Sinar & Phase. I feel it would be a lost opportunity if Mamiya & Phase do not work on a ZDII camera especially with the new Canon 1Ds3 & Nikon D3, plus Canon will upgrade the 5D most likely next year. I also liked the news yesterday that with the new HB adapter I can put V series lenses on the ZD & AFDII if I wish to.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:42:40 am by mcfoto »
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

subrata1965

Mamiya ZD consensus?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:36:52 am »

If Phase works with Mamiya on this they would both increase market share if they keep the price @ the current offer of $10.000 USD.

PahseOne is not working with Mamiya for ZD.

In early 2008, PhaseOne will relase new MF body under PhaseOne brand. This will be improvised version of current Mamiya AFD II (already discussed in this forum). PhaseOne's Danish engineers are working on this body. Along with that, new lenses may be announced by Mamiya and other manufacturers.

In late 2008, PhaseOne will announce new higher resolution MDB.

Thanks.

Subrata
Pages: [1]   Go Up