Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to buy a Canon 1ds Mark lll in Canada  (Read 4473 times)

idenford

Best place to buy a Canon 1ds Mark lll in Canada
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:00:38 pm »

I'm going to take the leap and get this camera with the next month. I wondered if anybody knows where I can save a few bucks. Henry's and Vistek are about the same. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Samotano

• http://flickr.com/photos/97538742@N00/sets/72157603392490862/
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »

I'm going to take the leap and get this camera with the next month. I wondered if anybody knows where I can save a few bucks. Henry's and Vistek are about the same. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You won't find as much competition in Canada as in the US among sellers.  Even in the US on most hot and new products prices are nearly identical across vendors.  If it's significantly lower then the norm, then it's probably a scam.  
Have you looked at the thecamerastore.com? If you end up saving only a few bucks, then I would strongly suggest you look at a small independent camera shop.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:58:54 pm »

ritzcamera.com will ship from a warehouse in Canada, or so their info claims.  Worth a look, but only $250 cheaper.

Don't get me started on my captive market rant.  Canadian pricing infuriates me to no end, making me utterly loathe vendors I should hold in high regard.

idenford

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:36:16 pm »

ritzcamera.com will ship from a warehouse in Canada, or so their info claims.  Worth a look, but only $250 cheaper.

Don't get me started on my captive market rant.  Canadian pricing infuriates me to no end, making me utterly loathe vendors I should hold in high regard.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So far Aden Camera gave me the best price $7900.
Seems the best I can do

araz

• Araz Jakalian Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

So far Aden Camera gave me the best price $7900.
Seems the best I can do
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Take a look at cameracanada.com

Araz

Rowat

• http://www.andrewrowat.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:16:53 am »

I purchased my 1Ds MKIII at Downtown Camera in Toronto. Neither Vistek nor Henrys had it in stock, but DC had one on the shelf. I got CPS (Canon Professional Services) pricing on it which saved me about $500. None of the US stores I approached offered CPS pricing (including B&H). The final price (before tax) was CDN$7500.

So in the end, because of the parity between the currencies it was actually cheaper for me to buy in Canada than in the US. You could even save on taxes if you live in a province without Vistek - they will ship it to you sans tax, and if you have CPS you get that thrown in as well. The caveat being that you have to pay the whole amount up front while you wait for them to get stock in.

Andrew.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 02:20:09 am by Rowat »

idenford

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 08:09:55 am »

I purchased my 1Ds MKIII at Downtown Camera in Toronto. Neither Vistek nor Henrys had it in stock, but DC had one on the shelf. I got CPS (Canon Professional Services) pricing on it which saved me about $500. None of the US stores I approached offered CPS pricing (including B&H). The final price (before tax) was CDN$7500.

So in the end, because of the parity between the currencies it was actually cheaper for me to buy in Canada than in the US. You could even save on taxes if you live in a province without Vistek - they will ship it to you sans tax, and if you have CPS you get that thrown in as well. The caveat being that you have to pay the whole amount up front while you wait for them to get stock in.
Andrew.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=194964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I went through 6 changes of heart on this and opted for the Nikon D3 and the new lenses they have, the 14-24 and the 24-70 both released for their new D3.
My reasoning was primarily the ISO factor. I do lots of shooting in low light situations and do not need the gigantic amount of pixels offered my the Mark lll 1ds as I will not be printing poster size photos.
I own a 40D and will keep that as my back up now. It's a great camera, but I felt the D3 offered me more versatility for my needs. Thanks for the post, you got a good price from them.

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 01:46:10 am »

I realize that this isn't answering the OP's question but I was looking at the 1Ds III in the photographic mall here in Shanghai and was quoted the equivalent price of just over US$7,200 and most shops had them in stock. I might have to get two at that price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up