Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to test a used digital back (Aptus 17)?  (Read 4193 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
How to test a used digital back (Aptus 17)?
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:34:14 pm »

I am buying a used Aptus 17 digital back and I will have an opportunity to test it before paying for it.  Obviously, I will take some images and make sure it can capture an image.

Other than that, what should I do to test the back?
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:44:10 am »

I am buying a used Aptus 17 digital back and I will have an opportunity to test it before paying for it.  Obviously, I will take some images and make sure it can capture an image.

Other than that, what should I do to test the back?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Best post on the MF board

my advise - get more from other people

The chip will go on for millions of cycles so the only things that will fail will be buttons - the only moving parts ?

They should move smothly and free from grit/sand

You should also inspect for corrosion from water or salt water ingress

Of course sratches on the sensor/glass - take a shot at F22 - similar to dirty chip

maybe get the vendor to get it serviced

S
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 04:45:12 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Mike Chini

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:41:39 pm »

Well, the first thing I'd do is check for any dead pixels.  Then do a bracket of exposures at 25, 50, 100 and 200 ISO.  Start with 10 seconds all the way through 1/125.  I'd then do a smaller but similar test tethered to Leaf Capture.  Finally, I'd try a series of shots in quick succession to make sure no strange heat-related noise comes up and that the fan is working properly.  After that, I'd take it out for a day of casual shooting and make sure everything works fine.

Oh yeah.  I'd make sure focus is spot-on with my fastest long lens.  Check to make sure the back is seated on the camera body firmly and then test at both near and far distances.  Sometimes (extremely rarely) with mfdb's, the shims on the backs can be off a fraction of a fraction of a mm and can throw focus off a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up