Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Lenses & lens aberration correction in DPP  (Read 9349 times)

jsch

Canon Lenses & lens aberration correction in DPP
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:14:13 pm »

Hi,

has anyone started to use the new lens aberration correction feature in Canon DPP? - Or even compared to DxO?

I did a few initial tests (85/1.2L and 24-70/2.8L) and the results look not too bad. OK the distance slider in the software without a scale is ridiculous. On the other hand my abilities in the RAW converter part of DPP are limited. So it is difficult for me to really compare my usual results from ACR to those from DPP.

Has anyone already made a serious test?

Best,
Johannes

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:06:26 pm »

Hi,

has anyone started to use the new lens aberration correction feature in Canon DPP? - Or even compared to DxO?

I did a few initial tests (85/1.2L and 24-70/2.8L) and the results look not too bad. OK the distance slider in the software without a scale is ridiculous. On the other hand my abilities in the RAW converter part of DPP are limited. So it is difficult for me to really compare my usual results from ACR to those from DPP.

Has anyone already made a serious test?

Best,
Johannes
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I havent done any serious testing or A/B comparisons with other products - but...

I do us DPP almost daily as my RAW converter of choice - doing as much as possible to the RAW file before sending as a 16 bit Tiff to CS3.

I have found the lens correction functions useful and well worthwhile in some cases. Like all things though.. not every image needs it or benefits from it. There is no harm in trying however as you are working with a RAW file - so I usually try it if I think it will improve the image - if I dont like it its easily undone.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:58:48 am »

I was interested in trying this out, but I made a foolish assumption. I thought the new version of DXO that was just released would have modules for the equipment I'm using now. Although V5 supports the 40D, there are very few lens modules available yet, and none for any lens I own. Guess I'll have to wait until DXO gets around to testing more lenses.

I'm also interested in seeing if DXO can read the distance information encoded in 40D files. The 20D didn't inlcude distance, so I always had to set the distance manually before.

I suppose I could process some old 20D images with DXO 5 and DPP 3.2, setting each converter to the same distance manually.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:20:55 pm »

OK the distance slider in the software without a scale is ridiculous.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sounds crazy!

I wonder if the distance slider gets calibrated on non supported lenses, where as with your two supported lenses the focusing distance is known so there's no need to calibrate the slider, it's just there in case you want to manually adjust the effect?
Pages: [1]   Go Up