Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: High ISO vs Underexposure. What is best for noise?  (Read 30484 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
High ISO vs Underexposure. What is best for noise?
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 08:25:55 pm »

Your wish is my command - here is the download link for the Raw file -
But please understand that I am happy with the noise and the color, it's just the %*#ing streaking that bothers me.
http://download.yousendit.com/F3434A597701B34F

Edmund

yes, I also would like to take a look at your RAW files, even at ISO400 you could have underexposed the escene and there is no sensor today that won't display some noise in an underexposed ISO400 image.
Also there seems to be some trouble with the blue channel: I think the black point of the blue channel is wrong and that gave your pic a blue appearance and a lot of blue noise in the shadows.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:28:30 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 08:53:06 pm »

Your wish is my command - here is the download link for the Raw file -
But please understand that I am happy with the noise and the color, it's just the %*#ing streaking that bothers me.
http://download.yousendit.com/F3434A597701B34F
Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think that's a link to the TIFF Edmund, not the RAW.

eronald

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 09:02:46 pm »

Guillermo, I looked at the link, that's a small file, only 32MB - it's the Raw. Tiff is a container data format as we all know, and the Phase Raw files come with a TIF extension, and an embedded preview. In case of doubt point CS3, the C1 beta or Raw Developer at it, I'll be glad to repost if I made a mistake.

Edmund

I think that's a link to the TIFF Edmund, not the RAW.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:04:20 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Panopeeper

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 10:44:34 pm »

Edmund,

I took a look of the image, and honestly, I don't know, why you are surprized.

This shot was FOUR stops underexposed:

The arm of the lady is still very clean. However, the darker area ends at ZERO pixel values (the figures over the image reflect the pixels of the selected area framed in orange):

This already shows the huge differences between the pixels; however, if you boost the exposure by 2EV, then the zeroes remain zero and the difference between the pixels gets much larger:

I don't know why the noise appears arranged horizontally (streaks). Perhaps a totally blown (but really, really blown, in all channels) raw shot could give some hints.

If these are not the "stripes" you were referring to, then pls. describe them in detail, or post a screen shot of them.
Gabor

Ray

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2007, 12:20:39 am »

Edmund,

I took a look of the image, and honestly, I don't know, why you are surprized.

This shot was FOUR stops underexposed:

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

4 stops underexposed? That's interesting. I applied the auto setting in ACR and it produced a +1.7 stop exposure compensation without any adjustment of the highlight recovery slider. Since the histogram now looks as far to the right as it should be, the implication is that Edmund's shot was underexposed by 1.7 stops.

Can you explain this anomaly?

[attachment=3972:attachment]

Anyway, whether it's 4 stops or 1.7 stops underexposed, it's clear that some of these DB users need to attend a tutorial on ETTR   .

Ray

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2007, 12:57:26 am »

Panopeeper,
I reduced recovery, fill, brightness and contrast to their minimum level then applied +4 EC adjustment. It seems clear that from ACR's perspective Edmunds image is definitely not underexposed by as much as 4 stops.

At +1.7 stops you can still notice faint highlight detail that shows on the far right of the enlarged histogram below. This detail is not necessarilly inconsequential to the fashion photographer who wants to retain as much detail as possible in skin highlights, so I think 4 stops underexposure is an exaggeration, bearing in mind that people have to use a RAW converter that's convenient and lends itslef to a reasonably efficient work flow. I know David Coffin's DCRAW can often extract more detail from a RAW image, but it's not easy to use, is it!

[attachment=3973:attachment]  [attachment=3974:attachment]

Panopeeper

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2007, 01:19:45 am »

Can you explain this anomaly?

I forgot to add a disclaimer. As this is the only raw image I ever saw with the Phase One P45+, I had to rely on the information Adobe's DNG converter gave, namely that the numerical range of the raw values is 0-65535, i.e. the full 16-bit range is used.

If this is not true, then a larger proportion of the total range has been used than I assumed. A totally overexposed shot would reveal the true clipping points.

Another aspect is, that there are some pixels higher than 4600, which I took (arbitrarily) as the upper limit of this shot. 1928 red and 1820 green pixels are between 4600 and 9000 something. However, I regarded these less than 0.03% pixels as negligable; these are in the lamp. If I were to shoot this scenery (and if there was enough light), I would rather expose it so high, that these few thousand pixels clip, in order to better expose the shadows.

So, yes, the 4 stop is partly speculation (because of the clipping point), partly subjective (because of ignoring those high pixels).

On the other hand, 65% of the pixels are zero. Though the de-mosaicing changes on that, still, one or more color components are zero in large parts of the image, even with +4EV. Again, 16 times 0 is still 0.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 01:22:44 am by Panopeeper »
Gabor

Ray

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2007, 01:47:43 am »

I forgot to add a disclaimer. As this is the only raw image I ever saw with the Phase One P45+, I had to rely on the information Adobe's DNG converter gave, namely that the numerical range of the raw values is 0-65535, i.e. the full 16-bit range is used.

If this is not true, then a larger proportion of the total range has been used than I assumed. A totally overexposed shot would reveal the true clipping points.

Another aspect is, that there are some pixels higher than 4600, which I took (arbitrarily) as the upper limit of this shot. 1928 red and 1820 green pixels are between 4600 and 9000 something. However, I regarded these less than 0.03% pixels as negligable; these are in the lamp. If I were to shoot this scenery (and if there was enough light), I would rather expose it so high, that these few thousand pixels clip, in order to better expose the shadows.

So, yes, the 4 stop is partly speculation (because of the clipping point), partly subjective (because of ignoring those high pixels).

On the other hand, 65% of the pixels are zero. Though the de-mosaicing changes on that, still, one or more color components are zero in large parts of the image, even with +4EV. Again, 16 times 0 is still 0.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155143\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see. However, the fact remains that with the latest version of ACR this image is definitely not underexposed by nearly as much as 4 stops. Did you see what happens with a +4 EC adjustment in ACR above?

Panopeeper

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2007, 02:22:56 am »

I see. However, the fact remains that with the latest version of ACR this image is definitely not underexposed by nearly as much as 4 stops. Did you see what happens with a +4 EC adjustment in ACR above?

I do realize that. If Edmond provides a blown raw shot (with ISO 800, like this shot), then we can see the clipping point (or points, for the sensels with different filters may have different clipping points). Perhaps is the 65535 totally off.

In the meantime I took another look at the raw file (now in raw, not in DNG).

It contains the WB as follows:

1. coefficients 1.00, 1.37, 4.36

2. Kelvin 1003, tint 0.0185

THIS changes the situation radically. ACR uses Kelvin 2000, tint -3. I don't know, what coefficients this means, but it pushes up the pixel values a lot, and it creates artificial clipping (see the highlight clip warning).

When you add 4EV, the lamps and the arm of the lady appear clipped. ACR never shows the raw histogram, but there is a way to find out, if there was true clipping somewhere ("true" means, if ACR believes there was clipping): try to pick WB on such points. If you can (and you can on any point of this image), then ACR believes there is no clipped pixel in that small area. If ACR thinks there are clipped pixels in that 5x5 or what size area, then it does not make WB adjustment. If you click once more, the message appears, that this is "too bright".

Anyway, g'd night for now.
Gabor

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2007, 02:49:29 am »

This shot was FOUR stops underexposed

hehehe I had this feeling. You took advantage on me Pano, I wanted to be first! how should I access the RAW file contained in this TIF file? I already had this problem in the past and couln't find out.

Edmund, you definitively don't deserve the good stuff you have! (just kidding   ).

BTW, anyone knows the expression that interrelates the WB linear RGB coefficients with the Kelvin/Tint values? I would be very interested in that, and always when I tried to find info about it got mad with black body radiation sites that I did not understand.

Regards.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 04:10:34 am by GLuijk »

Panopeeper

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2007, 12:06:35 pm »

how should I access the RAW file contained in this TIF file? I already had this problem in the past and couln't find out

Well, if you do find it it, please tell it to me.

The TIFFs direct from the cameras are often messy. Sometimes very messy. Canon, and particularly Nikon violate TIFF rules en mass.

The PhaseOne P45+ is no exception. Nothing goes without reverse engineering effort.

anyone knows the expression that interrelates the WB linear RGB coefficients with the Kelvin/Tint values?

There is no such generic conversion; the coefficients depend on the spectral response of the filters. There are slight variations even between copies of the same maker and model; therefor, if someone takes it very seriously, one needs to calibrate ACR to his specific camera copy.
Gabor

Ray

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2007, 01:33:50 pm »

how should I access the RAW file contained in this TIF file? I already had this problem in the past and couln't find out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't understand the problem here. Whilst the file name has a TIF extension, the Document Type in ACR is described as Camera Raw image.

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2007, 05:30:34 pm »

I don't understand the problem here. Whilst the file name has a TIF extension, the Document Type in ACR is described as Camera Raw image.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I cannot open it from ACR (V3.X CS2). I cannot develop it from DCRAW. That's the problem. None of them recognize this file as a RAW file.

Panopeeper

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2007, 07:56:06 pm »

I cannot open it from ACR (V3.X CS2

I guess the camera support has been built in after that ACR version. Download the newest DNG converter (it comes with ACR 4.3, you just throw away ACR, which you can't use with CS2).

Convert the file in DNG and then you can process it with older ACR as well.

I thought you wanted to process the image with your own program. That does not work without knowing the information, which is not in the raw file as standard TIFF tags (for example there is no IFD at all for the main image).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 07:56:44 pm by Panopeeper »
Gabor

John Sheehy

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2007, 08:10:12 pm »

Hi all, I have a question for those brilliant minds around here.

We all know that:
- The higher the ISO for a given exposure, the lower the SNR.

Yes, if the relative exposure (EC) stays constant, and the absolute exposure (photons collected in the sensor wells) remains the same.

- The lower the exposure for a given ISO, the lower the SNR as well.

This is always the case, as a non-defective camera would have to intentionally go out of its way to provide a lower SNR at a higher tonal level at the same ISO.  The firmware would literally have to say, "if the exposure is this high, add this much noise".

But if we are forced to use some exposure parameters (aperture and exposure time), what is recommended to obtain the best possible SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), i.e. less visible noise, to push the ISO number? or to allow certain underexposure?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=153903\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That really depends on the camera.  All the issues here are with read noise - shot noise depends on sensor exposure ONLY, as shot noise is really signal, in an empirical sense, even though it is noise as far as our IQ ideals are concerned.  Quantization is not an issue in the RAW data of current cameras, except for extreme imaging like stacking multiple images for astrophotography.

Generally speaking, if you shoot RAW and your RAW converter allows you to bring up the shadows without suppressing them in any way, then CMOS cameras with high-ISO optimizations (like most Canons, and the Nikon D3) give much better read noise performance with higher ISOs (ignoring clipping issues), especially at the lower end of the ISO range (100 pushed to 400 is far worse compared to 400 than 400 pushed to 1600 is compared to 1600).  If you look at typical read noises at different ISOs, you can see why.  My Canon 20D has read noises of 2.07, 2.2, 2.45, 3.2 and 4.7 ADU, repectively, for ISOs 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.  There is almost no difference in read noise between the lower ISOs, in ADUs.  Between 800 and 1600, the difference is not quite 2x, but is a lot closer.  So, if you under-expose ISO 100 to do 200, then your new, adjusted relative read noise is 4.14, almost as much as ISO 1600!  If you push 800 to 1600, then your new relative read noise is 6.4, a little worse than ISO 1600.  It works in the other, way, too for pulling.  Pulling ISO 400 to 100 results in a relative read noise of 0.61 ADU (or 2.45 at a relative bit depth of 14 bits instead of 12, depending how you look at it).  This is why extreme positive EC works nicely for subjects that have a majority of their tones concentrated in its higher levels, like a white wall where everything else is darker, or even a grey wall where everything else is darker.

For the majority of the rest of the cameras out there, the only difference in the state of RAW data at different ISOs is due to differences in gain before hitting the ADC, typically resulting in about 12 to 15x the read noise at ISO 1600 compared to 100.  Shooting RAW, and using a converter that doesn't trash shadow areas, these cameras give you less back by shooting at high ISOs, considering what they give you in extended headroom through under-exposure at lower ISOs.  There is also a possible issue that an under-exposed image will not be processed with enough precision in a converter (although this shouldn't really have to be an issue).  You definitely don't want to under-expose JPEGs with the majority of cameras, as JPEGs tend to trash the shadows and make them less pushable.

Some cameras have even more reason to under-expose at low ISOs.  My Panasonic FZ50 gets crazy stupid at ISO 1600; not only does it have far more than 16x the read noise of ISO 100, but the blackpoint is in the wrong place, causing a color cast to the deep shadow areas.  ISO 100 blackpoint is right on the money, even after multiplying the RAW data by 16.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that higher ISOs on many cameras are achieved solely through digital math, so any gains from higher ISO stop at the highest analog ISO.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:13:39 pm by John Sheehy »

Ray

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2007, 12:26:53 am »

If this image from Edmund really is 4 stops underexposed then that would place the P45+ as a camera with better high-ISO noise characteristics than Canon DSLRs.

Does anyone believe this?

John Sheehy

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2007, 11:55:43 am »

If this image from Edmund really is 4 stops underexposed then that would place the P45+ as a camera with better high-ISO noise characteristics than Canon DSLRs.

Does anyone believe this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are too many unknowns to come to a good conclusion.  It may be that the RAWs are reporting the wrong whitepoints, or the software is misunderstanding them.  What if ISO 800 is just ISO 100 or 200 or 400, under-exposed, in the RAW?  Then, ACR could be using the wrong internal gain for high-ISO shots, requiring perhaps +1.75 EC for what should really be -0.25, or -1.25, etc.

Ray

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2007, 01:32:48 pm »

What if ISO 800 is just ISO 100 or 200 or 400, under-exposed, in the RAW?  Then, ACR could be using the wrong internal gain for high-ISO shots, requiring perhaps +1.75 EC for what should really be -0.25, or -1.25, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The latest ACR includes the P45+. What are you saying? Adobe has got it wrong and doesn't know the difference between ISO 100 and 800?

eronald

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2007, 02:07:48 pm »

The latest ACR includes the P45+. What are you saying? Adobe has got it wrong and doesn't know the difference between ISO 100 and 800?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adobe have been known to use some very proprietary definitions of standard numbers ... And conversely, l ISO descriptions of cameras are a bit open to doubt; I think camera manufacturers tend to be optimistic.

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 02:08:52 pm by eronald »

Guillermo Luijk

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2007, 05:02:56 pm »

My Canon 20D has read noises of 2.07, 2.2, 2.45, 3.2 and 4.7 ADU, repectively, for ISOs 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.  There is almost no difference in read noise between the lower ISOs, in ADUs.  Between 800 and 1600, the difference is not quite 2x, but is a lot closer.  So, if you under-expose ISO 100 to do 200, then your new, adjusted relative read noise is 4.14, almost as much as ISO 1600!  If you push 800 to 1600, then your new relative read noise is 6.4, a little worse than ISO 1600.

This is very interesting John. What kind of unit is ADU?.

I don't understand this table however at Roger Clark's here:

Read Noise (electrons)
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         Canon  Canon Canon Canon Canon Canon  Canon Canon Nikon Nikon Nikon  Canon Canon
         1DMII   5D    20D   10D   350d  300D   40D*  400D D200  D70   D50    S60   S70
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISO  50:  30.6  59.7                                                          13.6  4.1
ISO 100:  16.6  30.1  25.3  15.9   21.6        17.9        10.0                     3.4
ISO 200:   8.95 15.6  13.5  11.0   11.5         9.9         8.1       13.4          3.2
ISO 400:   5.56  8.4   7.5  10.6    7.2         6.5   7.0   7.7   6.3               4.3
ISO 800:   4.04  5.2   4.8   9.0    4.9    10   5.2         7.4  13    7.47
ISO1600:   3.90  3.7   3.6   9.0    3.7         4.3         7.4
ISO3200:   3.93  3.7

Could you explain what is he calling "read noise" here please? the figure goes down with ISO.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up