Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about CompactFlash cards  (Read 5343 times)

eitanwaks

A question about CompactFlash cards
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:21 pm »

Hi,
I just got my first digital camera today.  I now want to buy some memory for it.  It is a Nikon D200.  It can accept compact flash cards and as far as I understand I can put any amount of memory that I want inside.  The Nikon website says that the camera can accept type 1 or type 2 memory.

My question is whether I should buy memory from a companies such as SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston etc. or am I okay buying my memory card off of eBay by some generic companies such as the following (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290207760100&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019).

Another question is, considering I will be shooting mainly in raw (and probably raw plus JPEG), how much memory do you suggest I get?  4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB?  And how much of each one?

Thank you for your help,
Eitan Waks

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

Only you know how much you shoot and how long you are out at a given time.  Once you know that shoot some files and do the math.  You'll know your answer.

As to the quality of the cards Memory is so cheap these days, even from the good brands, that there is really little point in not buying decent memory.

You can also buy something like a hyperdrive space (or color space) and offload your photos as you go.

If you just want a starting number I'd suggest getting 2 2G or 2 4G cards and see where you go from there.

eitanwaks

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 12:37:02 pm »

Hi,
as a film shooter up to now I always had to ration my shots.  This is especially true because the price of slide film and development (at least here in Israel) has gone through the roof.

Normally, if I'm just shooting around without a project then maybe I'd shoot a couple film (50 or so shots a day [assuming that I actually went out to photograph that day [i.e.  Weekends]]).  If I were shooting digital I would have much less hesitation with regards to the amount of shots that I take.  This is especially true when I shoot with medium format.

On the other hand, I came back from a trip to southeast Asia about three months ago.  Averaging out the films that I took over the trip it comes out to about one film per day.  In fact, this is not really the truth.  There were some days that I did not even take one picture, and some days that I took five rolls or more.

I was thinking of getting either two 4 GB cards or two 8 GB cards but then I saw that 16 GB cards and 32 GB cards are also available.  I guess my question is what would be the ideal ratio between having too many images on one card (safety) and not having enough images on one card (changing cards).

Considering that I have a severe disability and cannot use my hands that much, changing cards would be a very big hassle.  That is a reason that I'm looking at the bigger cards.  How reliable are they?

Thanks for the help,
Eitan Waks

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:37:45 pm »

My question is whether I should buy memory from a companies such as SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston etc. or am I okay buying my memory card off of eBay by some generic companies such as the following
AData is not what I'd call a generic brand (no high end, either), but buying cards on eBay has a veeery bad reputation. It's mainly due to the amount of fake cards (rebranded turds).

As the same cards is cheaper by a more reputable dealer, I wouldn't hesitate (at least if I were in the USA, which is not the case - you're not either, and as such won't be able to buy at US prices    ).
Another question is, considering I will be shooting mainly in raw (and probably raw plus JPEG), how much memory do you suggest I get?  4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB?  And how much of each one?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No more than two cards (or you'll drop/lose/format one...), and I'd say the bigger the better - you may get a thousand frames on a single 16GB card.
I generally last a week with that, but some others shoot more in one day - your fileage may vary, of course.

If you're concerned about data security, get a backup PSD as said by DarkPenguin, or a notebook, and always keep two copies (CF+PSD). I feel though that flash cards are the most reliable data support we photographers have (the best might probably be now to add a PSD or notebook with a SSD drive).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:44:12 pm by NikoJorj »
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:46:53 pm »

I tend to use smaller cards.  I shoot in some peculiar locations and I think to myself, if I dropped a CF card down into that pile of rocks and can't get it back, how much work am I willing to lose?   A week?  Two days, three days?  Once you decide what size cards to use, then decide how you will protect them while on a shoot.  I use the Gepe Card Safes.  They are waterproof and float.  Don't ask me how I know that.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:54:13 pm »

I like lots of CF cards and an image tank.  Hopefully you have enough CF to cover your trip and then have it all backed up on the tank.

eitanwaks

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:00:19 pm »

your fileage may vary, of course
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176680\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what a wonderful expression!  Never heard that one before, but I am definitely adopting it.

Now on to more serious matters, is ADATA a reputable manufacturer?  Am I better off buying SanDisk?

Fortunately, I have a brother that lives in the states and therefore can buy products while taking advantage of the weak US dollar (hope I don't offend anybody).

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:04:26 pm »

what a wonderful expression!  Never heard that one before, but I am definitely adopting it.

Now on to more serious matters, is ADATA a reputable manufacturer?  Am I better off buying SanDisk?
Never had an ADATA card.  But I've never had an issue with SanDisk.

Fortunately, I have a brother that lives in the states and therefore can buy products while taking advantage of the weak US dollar (hope I don't offend anybody).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176689\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, it is the weak dollar that offends me.

eitanwaks

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:09:31 pm »

Hi,
the weak dollar was exactly what I was trying not to offend anybody with.  It's just the fact that the euro is much stronger than the dollar right now so I get more for my money.  I'm sorry if I offended anybody, it's just a fact.

Anyway, the more I read the more I believe that I'm much better off buying from some companies such as SanDisk or Lexar.  Even if they cost three times as much.  Is this assumption true?

Richowens

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 02:00:35 pm »

Eitan,

I have both Lexar and Sandisk, never a problem, even after a trip through the washer and dryer.  

I recommend staying with one of the better known brands.

Rich

PS........Spend your Euros here, we need the cash flow.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

AData is not what I'd call a generic brand (no high end, either), but buying cards on eBay has a veeery bad reputation. It's mainly due to the amount of fake cards (rebranded turds).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176680\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Second that. For example, most ebay cards from Hong Kong are fake. Some work well, some don't. Stick with the well known brands like Sandisk (purchased from a reputable dealer) and you'll get help from their customer service if things go wrong. David

AWeil

• http://www.awl-photo.com
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:53:16 pm »

Eitan,
I use 4 San Disk Extreme III 2 Gigabyte CF cards.
My background is in film as well, which means, I don't just 'shoot' away. I guess,  at least for me, his habit is hard to change.
In addition, I don't like to have to partition the cards and I don't like to have all the eggs in one basket. :-)). If one card should fail (that has never happened though), I still have the others.
With a Nikon D2X, I get about 400 Raw files - or 340 Raw files plus the jpgs. That's about 10 rolls of film. With a D200, you get a lot more. I have never been in a situation in which I ran out 'space'. On a trip, I download to a small laptop in the evening.

Angela

eitanwaks

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 06:50:41 pm »

Hi,
thank you all for your replies.  I have reached the conclusion that I will buy two cards.  They will be from well-known manufacturers.  It will be either SanDisk or Lexar.  I will either by two 4 GB cards or 8 GB cards.  It depends on budget.

I guess I final question would be is there a difference between the two brands mentioned above (SanDisk and Lexar)?  Also, is there another brand that I should be looking at?

In addition, if you have any suggestions on any other accessories that I should buy I would be very grateful for your input.

Thank you all,
Eitan Waks

Colorado David

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:49:07 pm »

You can potentially save some money on your cards depending on what kind of write speed you need.  You don't need to spend money for cards that have a faster write speed than your camera can use or if write speed is not that important to you.  If you are shooting sports, you need all the speed you can muster, but if you shoot fewer frames in a burst, put your money in more or bigger cards rather than speed.  My two cents.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 02:27:47 pm »

You can potentially save some money on your cards depending on what kind of write speed you need.  You don't need to spend money for cards that have a faster write speed than your camera can use or if write speed is not that important to you.  If you are shooting sports, you need all the speed you can muster, but if you shoot fewer frames in a burst, put your money in more or bigger cards rather than speed.  My two cents.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176798\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There was an article in Popular Photography several months ago about "counterfit" cards on ebay (made to look like a known brand); the moral being if it looks too cheap to be true, it probably is not genuine. I have now three SD cards and two CF cards by a company called "Ridata". They were inexpensive and have been very reliable.  
Dave

Farkled

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 04:13:48 pm »

FWIW - get well known name brands.  My 40D will put 297 RAW images on a 4 GB card - according to the camera when starting with a clean card.  I have 2 4GB cards and 1 8 GB and 1 2 GB.  I have filled up a 4 GB in a day's shooting.  With 2 batteries in the grip, it appears that I'm good for at least 1000 shots before needing a battery change - all my lenses are IS and I seldom use flash.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 04:40:12 pm »

I have a whole bunch of Sandisk UltraII 1GB and 4GB cards, and just got a Transcend 16GB to try.  The 16GB was only $80 from newegg, is faster than the UltraII's, and I love it so far!

I got the 16GB because the last wedding I did, I used all but 1GB of my stock - too close for comfort!!

It was also a major PITA changing the cards out every 100 shots or so.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 04:41:53 pm by kaelaria »

Colorado David

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 06:37:52 pm »

There was an article in Popular Photography several months ago about "counterfit" cards on ebay (made to look like a known brand); the moral being if it looks too cheap to be true, it probably is not genuine. I have now three SD cards and two CF cards by a company called "Ridata". They were inexpensive and have been very reliable.  
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I certainly didn't mean to imply that you could use off-brand cards.  What I meant to say is you don't have to use the fastest brand name cards.  For example, I use the Sandisk Ultra II cards and have enough write speed to cover my needs, while the same size card in the Extreme III was quite a bit more.  For me, since I don't shoot action sports, like basketball,  I can get more or larger cards at a lower write speed for the same or less money than the newest, fastest cards.  I only buy brand name CF cards for same reason that I buy more, smaller cards; I can't afford to lose a bunch of work either because I drop a card in a pile of rocks or an off-brand card stops working.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:38:52 pm by Colorado David »

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 10:00:18 am »

Also, is there another brand that I should be looking at?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Transcend was the one coming to my mind (thanks to kaelaria's message ;o), and you might also add Kingston, and on the not-very-far shelf RiData, A-DATA, PNY...  

Apart from the dreaded ebay fakes, I've never heard about a particular brand being more prone than others to failures - and yes, SanDisk and Lexar ones do seem to fail also. Of course, there may be more significative differences in warranty policies and aftersale service.

Reliability being pushed aside as an usable criterion if all things ultimately return to dust, the main one could be speed, and [a href=\"http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8197]this page from Rob Galbraith[/url] may help you to decide what speed is enough for you.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

sojournerphoto

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 04:15:15 pm »

Hi,
I just got my first digital camera today.  I now want to buy some memory for it.  It is a Nikon D200.  It can accept compact flash cards and as far as I understand I can put any amount of memory that I want inside.  The Nikon website says that the camera can accept type 1 or type 2 memory.

My question is whether I should buy memory from a companies such as SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston etc. or am I okay buying my memory card off of eBay by some generic companies such as the following (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290207760100&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019).

Another question is, considering I will be shooting mainly in raw (and probably raw plus JPEG), how much memory do you suggest I get?  4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB?  And how much of each one?

Thank you for your help,
Eitan Waks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FWIW I use a 4Gb sandisk extreme 3 in my 5D and copy to my laptop and usb hard drive each evening on a  trip. I've also got a couple of 4Gb microdrives available and the 'free' 0.5Gb sandisk card that came with the camera. During a normal day I am unlikely to fill the 4Gb, which holds well upwards of 200 raw files from the 5D. At weddings (occasional!) I often borrow a 20D as backup, but still haven't yet exceeded 12Gb of files.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up