Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue and purple fringing  (Read 2881 times)

Brad Smith

Blue and purple fringing
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:10:14 pm »

This image was shot at 1/10, f-8, ISO100 on a Canon 5D, an EF70-200 f2.8 L IS and a Hoya HD circular polarizer using a tripod. The image is a LR3 1 MB jpg export of the original CR2 file, and it seems to reasonably represent the fringing effects of concern, which are also present in the CR2 file. These are the blue and purple fringes/small colored areas seen at some of the lily pad edges and in the water.  I am curious if these are legitimate sky/other reflections or are artifacts of the lens with polarizer. I have used this polarizer some before, not a lot, but never noticed this before. Neither LR3 Develop > Detail > Noise Reduction Color/Detail nor Lens Correction > Chromatic Aberration correct this at all.

My guess is that these are legitimate reflections. I have a couple of other similar captures taken close to the same time and in the same area, but at different exposures, and all of them show similar limited fringing. Unfortunately, all of them were taken with the polarizer in place, as was this one.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Blue and purple fringing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:27:02 pm »

I think much of this is the water itself -- it's not flat, due to surface tension it wraps up against the leaves, so you get a round-edged bump in the water which will reflect some sky. I suspect if you went back you'd be able to see this with the naked eye.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Brad Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:59:49 pm »

Thanks, Ken. Your explanation is quite logical, and I hadn't thought of that.

Bullfrog

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:08:40 pm »

what time of day did you take the shot?  Mid day?

jgbowerman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:50:02 am »

My guess is that these are legitimate reflections. I have a couple of other similar captures taken close to the same time and in the same area, but at different exposures, and all of them show similar limited fringing. Unfortunately, all of them were taken with the polarizer in place, as was this one.

It is odd, not typical looking chromatic aberration, but it does not look natural. I'm leaning towards lens-filter artifact.

Brad Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:03:16 pm »

what time of day did you take the shot?  Mid day?

The image was shot at 9:35 am EDT.

kpmedia

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:26:14 pm »

I think much of this is the water itself -- it's not flat, due to surface tension it wraps up against the leaves, so you get a round-edged bump in the water which will reflect some sky. I suspect if you went back you'd be able to see this with the naked eye.
This would be my first inclination, too.
Long time Nikon user. Currently using D200 + D3s for sports photography.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »

Hi,

The lily blades may have some axial chromatic aberration. This is typical for large aperture lenses. It's sometimes called 'color bokeh'. The reflections on the water are probably simply skylight.

http://toothwalker.org/optics/chromatic.html

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up