Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting phenomenon with new FW for Sony A900  (Read 2482 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Interesting phenomenon with new FW for Sony A900
« on: December 06, 2010, 11:03:26 am »

The recent Sony FW upgrade for the A900 has made a dramatic improvement in what is a very good camera. I have tested the camera with all ten of my lenses and noted a dramatic improvement in AF speed and accuracy with one disconcerting caveat. On initial depression (part way) of the shutter, there is a rapid searching of the AF for less than 2 seconds and then the focus point is reached. Thereafter, there is NO hunting. The speed is dramatically improved - especially with long telephotos and macros. It's as if the camera needs to recognize the lens initially and test out it's parameters. I'd be interested if other A900 owners are experiencing the same phenomenon.

Tom Montgomery

Re: Interesting phenomenon with new FW for Sony A900
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:10 pm »

I can't say I've noticed this effect with any of my lenses after doing the FW upgrade last week.  Does it reoccur each time you turn the camera on?  Or only the first time a particular lens is attached after the upgrade?

tsjanik

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:41:42 pm »

Kenneth:

This thread evolved into a discussion of the Sony AF:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/959543/0

MBMPhotography

• Blog and beyond on G+
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:00:55 pm »

Kenneth there is no hunting indeed but it is mainly what this firmware update was all about wasn't it ?
Sony A7rIII, A6500,

jfirneno

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:58:51 pm »

Kenneth:

I haven't installed the firmware revision yet, but from what I've read from those that have, it looks like the changes yield a great deal of AF improvement.  There are several discussions on dyxum about the new version.  Possibly someone there can give you more feedback.

Regards
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up