Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Epson  (Read 8010 times)

Lex

Wireless Epson
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:15:49 pm »

Is it possible to setup a 3800 as part of a wireless network. I've just reconfigured my workspace and the distance of the printer from the computer now exceeds the cable length supplied. Also I'm trying to avoid the clutter of excess cabling laying around.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Wireless Epson
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:54:16 pm »

Is it possible to setup a 3800 as part of a wireless network. I've just reconfigured my workspace and the distance of the printer from the computer now exceeds the cable length supplied. Also I'm trying to avoid the clutter of excess cabling laying around.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Certainly. My 3800 is wired to an Airport Express which is part of my wireless network.  The printer is indifferent to how a network designed .. it's just a network device.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Wireless Epson
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »

Because Epson's Ethernet on the 4000 was/is so crappy (could never reliably connect to my network) I've used a wireless print server connect to the 4000 via USB for years. The one downside is that, at least with the D-Link and Linksys print servers I've used, the there is no 2-way communication, so you can't see things like the ink level in the print driver. D-Link just intro'd a new print server that may communicate 2-way, since it's designed to work with mult-function printer. I bought it, but haven't had a chane to try it yet. Your 3800 should work with almost any print server.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Wireless Epson
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:42:30 pm »

Because Epson's Ethernet on the 4000 was/is so crappy (could never reliably connect to my network) I've used a wireless print server connect to the 4000 via USB for years. The one downside is that, at least with the D-Link and Linksys print servers I've used, the there is no 2-way communication, so you can't see things like the ink level in the print driver. D-Link just intro'd a new print server that may communicate 2-way, since it's designed to work with mult-function printer. I bought it, but haven't had a chane to try it yet. Your 3800 should work with almost any print server.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 3800 works flawlessly just plugged into the network, (as does the ipf6100 I might add).  No need for anything other than a wire into a network port, be it a wireless access point like an airport express, or some other similar device.  2 way communication is fine and you can do anything that can be done with a direct USB connection.

tad

Wireless Epson
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:01:04 am »

The 3800 works flawlessly just plugged into the network, (as does the ipf6100 I might add).  No need for anything other than a wire into a network port, be it a wireless access point like an airport express, or some other similar device.  2 way communication is fine and you can do anything that can be done with a direct USB connection.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have my 3800 connected to my pc via a usb cable. I have my macbook pro connected to pc over wireless network. How do I access the printer.

Can I make the 3800 wireless? If so can someone explain how this is done.

Because of how the cable is wired in my home the router is in the laundry room; no way I can plug directly into the router.

Please help

Thanks

Farmer

Wireless Epson
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 01:52:41 am »

There's two main ways to be wireless:

1. Connect to a wireless print server.  Don't do this for Epson printers if you want full functionality.  The wireless print servers for the most part don't support the bi-directional communication protocols needed.  If you just want to send jobs and don't care about seeing ink levels, paper messages and so forth, though, it will work.

2. Connect an already network capable printer (such as the 3800) to a wireless access point (the Airport Express given as an example for instance).  Then, it just works like a normal network connection except that the access point is effectively running in bridge mode.

In relation to Tad's question, your PC will act as a wireless access point in effect if you want.

In Windows, go to your printer folder and right click on the 3800 and click on Sharing.  Then share the printer.  Then read this document from Apple on how to set things up from their side: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301397 (it's actually an article about people having problems, but it does go through the manual method but there are some additional links as well).

Having done this, you leave your Windows machine on and connected to the printer and you should be fine to print from the Macbook Pro.
Phil Brown

tad

Wireless Epson
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:18:39 am »

Thanks for the info.

Gregory

• http://www.gregory.hk
Wireless Epson
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 07:18:10 am »

my 3850 is connected via ethernet to a Linksys WET54G Epson Bridge which is then connected to our Apple Airport Extreme hub. my iMac Intel is connected to the same hub via ethernet.

works like a dream!
Gregory's Blog: [url=http://www.gregory.

dealy663

Wireless Epson
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:28:03 am »

Runing an ethernet cable from your printer to you wireless router would be the easiest way.

You should also be able to share your printer from your PC, and then connect to it wirelessly from your Mac. I'm not sure if the Mac has support for SMB devices natively but if it doesn't I'm sure you can add something like CUPS or Samba given that it is just another flavor of Unix.

I have my 3800 connected to my pc via a usb cable. I have my macbook pro connected to pc over wireless network. How do I access the printer.

Can I make the 3800 wireless? If so can someone explain how this is done.

Because of how the cable is wired in my home the router is in the laundry room; no way I can plug directly into the router.

Please help

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo
Pages: [1]   Go Up