Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D in Camera Noise Reduction?  (Read 2432 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 5D in Camera Noise Reduction?
« on: October 15, 2007, 05:58:54 am »

In camera noise reduction, software, or both? From what I can see, the 5Ds in camera reduction isn't great. But then again, I haven't compared it. What I mean is that it does not seem to be up with other methods. However, problematic is the night shot where the light interfaces with dark, and the light itself. Very noisy at longer exposures--3seconds+.

Any information is helpful.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 04:48:24 pm »

It's generally suggested to turn off all 'processing' in the camera, or as much as possible.  Consider the computing power of the camera and compare it to the computing power of, well, your computer...  Big difference.  And if you're shooting RAW, no changes are made in the camera anyway.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:55:52 pm »

It's generally suggested to turn off all 'processing' in the camera, or as much as possible.  Consider the computing power of the camera and compare it to the computing power of, well, your computer...  Big difference.  And if you're shooting RAW, no changes are made in the camera anyway. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146189\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
dwdallum is talking about somethng different.  The 5D and some other Canons for long exposures (1 second or longer), if enabled by Custom Function, will take an extra exposure with the shutter closed for the same duration.  It then subtracts the hot pixels and amplifier heat noise from the image to get a less noisy image.  This can be done manually in Photoshop, but you would have to take a blank frame with the lens cap on anyway, so this is one of the cases where it is best to let the camera do it.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:59 am »

Correct. That was what I was talking about. However, during night shots, it still is very noisy. The black night surrounding the lights, for instance, is full of color specs, that is--noise--when viewed on screen at 100%.

dwdallum is talking about somethng different.  The 5D and some other Canons for long exposures (1 second or longer), if enabled by Custom Function, will take an extra exposure with the shutter closed for the same duration.  It then subtracts the hot pixels and amplifier heat noise from the image to get a less noisy image.  This can be done manually in Photoshop, but you would have to take a blank frame with the lens cap on anyway, so this is one of the cases where it is best to let the camera do it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 02:34:54 am by dwdallam »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:08:08 am »

dwdallum is talking about somethng different.  The 5D and some other Canons for long exposures (1 second or longer), if enabled by Custom Function, will take an extra exposure with the shutter closed for the same duration.

Yes, of course... had to reread his e-mail.  My bad...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up