Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roundshot D3 Panoramic camera  (Read 7045 times)

richardb

• http://www.richard-berry.com
Roundshot D3 Panoramic camera
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:01:36 pm »

After months of waiting I finally received my Roundshot D3 camera a month ago and have been enjoying using it around the Canadian Rockies.

It is amazing and disappointing but with software and hardware changes in the near future then the outlook looks very positive for Seitz's new masterpiece.

I just printed my first sellable panorama from it yesterday with an iPF8000 on to Bulldog's very impressive Platinum Dot canvas. The result is truly incredible and I already have orders!  

I have written a review of the camera. Although it is not as in depth as Michael's excellent reviews I am sure that many LL readers will be interested.

Roundshot D3 review
Richard Berry Photography
Canmore, Alber

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 12:52:35 am »

After months of waiting I finally received my Roundshot D3 camera a month ago and have been enjoying using it around the Canadian Rockies.

It is amazing and disappointing but with software and hardware changes in the near future then the outlook looks very positive for Seitz's new masterpiece.

I just printed my first sellable panorama from it yesterday with an iPF8000 on to Bulldog's very impressive Platinum Dot canvas. The result is truly incredible and I already have orders!   

I have written a review of the camera. Although it is not as in depth as Michael's excellent reviews I am sure that many LL readers will be interested.

Roundshot D3 review
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is your model, 6x9, 6x12 or 6x17?

I hope you can share some images including some experience with regards to 'amazing and disappointing'.

I am interested in purchasing one, but the system it self is just very new to me!

Cheers

richardb

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:55:50 am »

My model does not have a fixed format. The digital scan back and lens rotate and the angle of view is set by the photographer in to the tablet computer before the exposure begins.

Here's the first sellable image from the camera.

Canmore, Alber

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 02:16:23 pm »

My model does not have a fixed format. The digital scan back and lens rotate and the angle of view is set by the photographer in to the tablet computer before the exposure begins.

Here's the first sellable image from the camera.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see, Very nice!!!

Is RS D3 14 or 16bit? What about the processing, is this the image right out of the Camera or processed/blending/HDR/etc.?

What about the lenses, interchangeable or ........?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 02:21:38 pm »

You refer to parallax problems with your earlier stitching solution. I haven't had any parallax problems stitching dozens of shots with a ball-headed tripod and eye-balled overlap between images. I find it hard to believe there is any visible parallax issues as long as you stick with landscapes without foreground objects and good software.

Nice quick review, and that's a stunning photograph even at web resolution!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 02:29:33 pm by feppe »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:16:51 pm »

You refer to parallax problems with your earlier stitching solution. I haven't had any parallax problems stitching dozens of shots with a ball-headed tripod and eye-balled overlap between images. I find it hard to believe there is any visible parallax issues as long as you stick with landscapes without foreground objects and good software.

Nice quick review, and that's a stunning photograph even at web resolution!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second this, there is zero parallax even with foreground elements in the image as soon as the nodal point of the lens is known and the right panoramic head used accordingly.

Now, on the D3. Thanks for the review. This is a very interesting camera. Your comments on noise and fringing are worrying. How do longer exposures help with this?

On the sample image you are showing. My guts feeling is that you would have much better results with a digital blend of 2 images shot one after the other instead of using a grad filter. You would have also probably less noise problems.

Have you tried to process the DNG file in lightroom to try to reducing fringing?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:35:40 pm by BernardLanguillier »

richardb

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:50:44 am »

Regarding the parallax, when I first tried this panorama in 2005 I had no idea about panoramic photography and knew nothing about nodal points etc. I knew what I wanted to do creatively but had to learn the technical skills required to pull it off, hence lots of hours in Photoshop to stitch the 13 images together.

In the last two years I have done a lot of studying and experimentation and have got some great results with my P25 and RRS set up, especially as lots of the panoramas that I've made have foreground elements.

In my opinion, panoramic software has come a long way in 2 years and all the major players have made improvements and added new features.

I agree with Bernard that multiple exposures would look better and Seitz are working on having a multiple HDR mode in the software that will automatically scan and assemble different exposures and then output the combined result as a JPEG or TIFF file.

When I made this panorama on Sep 21st, I saved the photograph as a TIFF file because no software could open a DNG with >30,000 pixels (at that time not even the software that came with the camera could open a Roundshot DNG file!) It took 4 minutes to process and save the TIFF file. Four minutes later I did a second scan but the light had changed so much.

I would love to use Lightroom or ACR4.2 with these DNG files but they are bigger than 30,000 and it's just not possible.

I am experimenting with multiple exposures and Photomatix software. The development team at HDRsoft are working with Seitz and hope to support the large DNG files from the D3 cameras in the future.

Seitz are aware of the problems and are working at a variety of solutions. However, a few hours of post processing results in a stunning, highly detailed panorama that is getting a lot of 'wows' from my clients and more importantly a few sales to help pay for the camera.

I'm off to the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion at the weekend and looking forward to what I can photograph with the Roundshot D3 in those locations.
Canmore, Alber

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 04:09:13 pm »

It is an interesting review and I'm happy to hear about it. I'm also really interested in this kind of shooting but the mayjor problem is that it is very expensive and to mobile.

Certainly it is one of the best possible capture qualities right now. On the other hand I think it is still possible to create wonderful panoramas without any additional things. I know it's more difficult and you really need to try and learn it right. ( I have a Pano head and everything still I would argue that from my daylight Panoramas 40% are done hand-held)

So why was this shot only possible with a camera hand-held ? The time before the light changed completly was around 1minute. That would never be enough time to set anything up. I took this Panorama on a skiing trip in Austria. I know this area quite well, and I also know that this scene never became close to what it was in that moment.

The resolution is 48xx*17xxx It really is stunning to print such an image. I also know the problems of prosessing, because I would love to store ALL my images in a lightroom database, but thatn is impossible because the images are to large.

[attachment=3571:attachment]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:10:45 pm by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up