Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H2 & SB800  (Read 3570 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad H2 & SB800
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:40:01 am »

I have been toying around with my recently upgraded H1/H2 and a Nikon SB800 flash.

I was kind of pleasantly surprised the flash works on the H2 (why shouldn't it but if it in reality does I am always really pleased). But sometimes all sorts of errors pop-up on the H2, varying from 'communications problems', 'Lens error', etc...

Is this normal? Is anybody recognizing this phenomena?

It would be nice if it just functions without error messages and lock-ups. A Nikon R1C1 Macro flash would be a nice addition if I can get this to work.

I was thinking, Hasselblad shouldn't just license the Nikon AF system but also the Flash system

godtfred

• http://
Hasselblad H2 & SB800
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 04:11:24 am »

I have been toying around with my recently upgraded H1/H2 and a Nikon SB800 flash.

I was kind of pleasantly surprised the flash works on the H2 (why shouldn't it but if it in reality does I am always really pleased). But sometimes all sorts of errors pop-up on the H2, varying from 'communications problems', 'Lens error', etc...

It would be nice if it just functions without error messages and lock-ups. A Nikon R1C1 Macro flash would be a nice addition if I can get this to work.

I was thinking, Hasselblad shouldn't just license the Nikon AF system but also the Flash system
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't think the communication works between the body and flash, but the trigger should work... Try taping over all the contacts except the trigger on the bottom of the flash, you will have to meter the flash manually of course...

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad H2 & SB800
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 04:15:06 am »

Thx!

I noticed it only works in manual, no problem. That is how I am used to using the flash.

Good idea to tape over the other contacts maybe that is also causing the camera to be confused. The flash trying to communicate with the body (even in M).

godtfred

Hasselblad H2 & SB800
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 04:44:04 am »

Also if you use profoto flashes (not compacts) they can trigger on IR signals, this means you can attach a Canon (don't know about Nikon) wireless transmitter on top of any camera with a flash shoe and remotely trigger the flashes. There has to be a line of sight between the pro and camera, and you may find that you have to angle the pro-power pack towards the camera position.

In order for this to work, all contacts except the large trigger on the bottom of the canon have to be isolated with electricians tape, if not the Canon device transmits a small "measure the flash" IR beam, causing the pro-packs to be triggered before the actual exposure is made...

I have used this as a backup once when my pocketwizards ran out of juice.

-axel
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:44:47 am by godtfred »
Axel Bauer

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad H2 & SB800
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 04:49:39 am »

Ah..

In that case the Nikon should function as well. Does the Canon also send the 'commander' pre-flashes in manual mode? (the Nikon doesn't).

godtfred

Hasselblad H2 & SB800
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:58:06 am »

Ah..

In that case the Nikon should function as well. Does the Canon also send the 'commander' pre-flashes in manual mode? (the Nikon doesn't).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Should work with your Nikons as well then!

Yep, it transmits preflashes even in manual.

When I tested I did it with a Canon body (everythig set to manual) so maybe the canon IR emitter would work without the tape on other camera bodies? Also the pro pack was a 7b (battery version), but my dealer told me the Acute i have (as well as other pro packs) trigger on IR as well.

-axel
Axel Bauer

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Hasselblad H2 & SB800
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:26:07 am »

I have been using my canon macro flash on the H2 with leaf aptus back.  There have been no problems.  I can only use manual mode and I do have to play with flash strength to get the right amount of fill. However, I would say that I do sometimes get lens error messages but not related to the presence or absence of the flash.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up