Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper recommendations for IPF5100  (Read 3010 times)

santa

Paper recommendations for IPF5100
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:11:20 pm »

I have a 5100 on the way. This will be my first Canon printer and I'd like to ask for recommendations for three types of printing paper.  The reason I am getting this printer is to do some reasonably large panoramas and 16x20's of Aurora Borealis shots as seen at http://www.pbase.com/santa/aurora. Many of these have very deep blacks (night time, don't ya know...) and very subtle gradations in greens and blues.  That is my fun passion. My bread and butter is wedding and portraits and such. In the past I have printed 4x6 to 8x10 on letter sized paper but with the advent of the 5100 I hope to create templates to print rows of 4x6 and 5x7 to make the process less time consuming in terms of trimming them up. My concerns for that paper is durability, scratch resistance and cost of course. For the small wedding prints I am looking for a decent semigloss or luster type paper.  I have no preconceived idea as to what paper type for the Aurora prints. Lastly I am looking for a good portrait paper for 8x10 and 11x14 that will be mounted and framed. Up till now I have used Epson papers exclusively but I'd like to branch out and explore other paper types.  I'm an Alaskan and can't go downtown to view/handle samples so your feedback is appreciated.   I'm checking into Hanemuhle  samplers to see if profiles are available.  Any comments (well...almost any  ) are welcome.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:20:04 pm »

Recommend to join the iPF Printer Wiki at:

http://canonifp5000.wikispaces.com

I am sure you will hear lots of opinions there  

--John

santa

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:34:58 pm »

Quote from: John Hollenberg,Oct 1 2007, 06:20 PM
Recommend to join the iPF Printer Wiki at:

http://canonifp5000.wikispaces.com

I am sure you will hear lots of opinions there  

--John

Thanks John. From here I went to Wiki and re-read what I must have seen and not keyed in on earlier, namely   http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/Conside...ng+This+Printer  where it talks about the 5100 being unable to use certain paper types on rolls.  I've been on the phone with shadesofpaper because frankly I don't fully understand the implications. Traditionally I have used a basic semigloss for day to day commercial prints and I can't tell from the Wiki if this means I will be locked out of using such paper with rolls, or if some excellent papers like the Harmon paper will be unavailable to me entirely. My printer is "shipping today" but I have called to voice my concern so I am expecting a call back from shadesofpaper for their take on this issue. Anyone with clarification on this issue? How limiting will it be? Can good semigloss papers or luster papers be used with 17" rolls?

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:54:14 pm »

Yes, it is a bit difficult to understand the implications.  You can use all kinds of roll paper with the iPF5100, it is just that the Media Type you select is limited in some cases.  This isn't a practical problem with matte papers, and wouldn't be a problem if you got a custom profile made with a compatible Media Type.  The place you would run into trouble is if you had a generic profile made for one Media Type (Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss in the example) that could use sheet paper, but not rolls.  The profile wouldn't work with your roll paper.  The roll paper itself could be used, but you would have to get a custom profile made for it (or find a generic profile made for that Media Type).

The problem isn't that bad, and certainly not a reason to avoid getting the iPF5100, it is just a shame that Canon is hobbling the software in this way and causing extra problems for users.  This is the opposite of the HP approach, which is very much an open system re: Paper Types set in the software.

However, don't take this as a recommendation for the HP--it has its own set of problems, including star wheel marks on glossy papers for some and reports of problems with getting good reds on some matte papers.

From what I know (and I haven't worked with the HP), I would still recommend the Canon.  Of course, HP also doesn't make a 17 inch printer, which makes that decision easier  

--John

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:33:37 pm »

I have a 5100 on the way. This will be my first Canon printer and I'd like to ask for recommendations for three types of printing paper.  The reason I am getting this printer is to do some reasonably large panoramas and 16x20's of Aurora Borealis shots as seen at http://www.pbase.com/santa/aurora. Many of these have very deep blacks (night time, don't ya know...) and very subtle gradations in greens and blues.  That is my fun passion. My bread and butter is wedding and portraits and such. In the past I have printed 4x6 to 8x10 on letter sized paper but with the advent of the 5100 I hope to create templates to print rows of 4x6 and 5x7 to make the process less time consuming in terms of trimming them up. My concerns for that paper is durability, scratch resistance and cost of course. For the small wedding prints I am looking for a decent semigloss or luster type paper.  I have no preconceived idea as to what paper type for the Aurora prints. Lastly I am looking for a good portrait paper for 8x10 and 11x14 that will be mounted and framed. Up till now I have used Epson papers exclusively but I'd like to branch out and explore other paper types.  I'm an Alaskan and can't go downtown to view/handle samples so your feedback is appreciated.   I'm checking into Hanemuhle  samplers to see if profiles are available.  Any comments (well...almost any  ) are welcome.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been playing with a 6100 for a few weeks now.  Both Kodak Professional Lustre and Epson Premium Lustre look terrific, and are virtually identical in weight and feel as well. I like them both better than similar Canon papers.  I hope to test some Hahnamule photo papers this week.

I also have had great results with Hahnamule Museum Etching.  I have a few other matte papers I'm going to play with this week.

Alaska

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 04:42:03 pm »

I'm an Alaskan and can't go downtown to view/handle samples so your feedback is appreciated.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have had good luck with IJA MC Luster in 17 inch rolls.  Seems to do very well for weddings and portraitures.  Looks almost like Fuji Crystal Archive C paper.  A custom profile would be nice, but the one offered by IJA does seem to work fine.  Do larger 17 x 24 prints on roll with picture packages on 8.5 x 11.  (letter size is just easier to physically handle and place in the drying rack) Since clients are used to school packages they do not mind cutting the sheets apart.  What does help is to place a 1 or 2 px white line to separate the images for cutting purposes when printing the picture packages.

Most firms will sell you sample packs (8.5 x 11) of their paper line.  Costs vary but that will give you a first hand feel for actual samples.  Try IJA, Red River, Shades of Paper, etc.

Jim

santa

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 05:36:38 pm »

Quote from: John Hollenberg,Oct 1 2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, it is a bit difficult to understand the implications.  ...snip...The place you would run into trouble is if you had a generic profile made for one Media Type (Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss in the example) that could use sheet paper, but not rolls.  The profile wouldn't work with your roll paper.  The roll paper itself could be used, but you would have to get a custom profile made for it (or find a generic profile made for that Media Type).
snip

That indeed is the crux of the bisquit. As the wiki mentions, " For example, Harman FB Al Gloss will shortly have a generic profile available using PPP-SG, probably because the gamut is larger by about 3% using this Media Type instead of Special 5. If you buy a roll of the Harman paper, you won't be able to use the manufacturers profile to print!" .  One of the strengths of this printer is it can be recalibrated and profiles can hopefully be "shared" more easily but that is meaningless if a manufacturer makes a profile that is worthless. I guess I will bite the bullet and dive in and assume there will be sufficient papers on rolls I can obtain profiles for and pay for those I must.  I currently am working on getting a PrintFix Pro working but thus far my profiles on my Epson 2200 are not working well. Ah well...challenges and life during interesting times.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 05:42:01 pm »

One of the strengths of this printer is it can be recalibrated and profiles can hopefully be "shared" more easily but that is meaningless if a manufacturer makes a profile that is worthless. I guess I will bite the bullet and dive in and assume there will be sufficient papers on rolls I can obtain profiles for and pay for those I must. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143233\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We hope to persuade Canon to implement the easy solution mentioned on that page under the next "bullet point".  If they are serious about competing with HP they will do it.  The solution of a "generic semi-matte" media type (and perhaps a few others) would take them about 10 minutes to implement if they were so inclined.  However, they haven't been very responsive to our suggestions in the past, so who knows.  If this one problem was remedied I would recommend the printer without reservation.

--John

santa

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 05:54:21 pm »

We hope to persuade Canon to implement the easy solution mentioned on that page under the next "bullet point".  If they are serious about competing with HP they will do it.  The solution of a "generic semi-matte" media type (and perhaps a few others) would take them about 10 minutes to implement if they were so inclined.  However, they haven't been very responsive to our suggestions in the past, so who knows.  If this one problem was remedied I would recommend the printer without reservation.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One thing is for sure, I will be making every effort to buy anything BUT Canon paper as my form of minimalist protest. Pass THAT on to Canon when you chat with the boys.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 10:14:14 pm »

Beautiful photos! Here in western New York state we see a decent aurora about once every five years or so, and I've only been able to photograph it once. At least for me, the resulting prints have a lot more sparkle and life when printed on satin or gloss paper. The deeper D-max on these papers maximizes dynamic range; prints on matte fine art paper look drab by comparison.
Pages: [1]   Go Up