Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best introduction to Photoshop (CS3) ?  (Read 4451 times)

The View

Best introduction to Photoshop (CS3) ?
« on: September 28, 2007, 12:11:32 am »

Except for a short stint on Photoshop 4.0 years ago (it was a title page, not a photograph) I am new to Photoshop.

I bought one book, the "CS3 book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. While it looks like it is a very useful book, it doesn't give me insight in the workings of the program. It is more like a recipee book.

I want to know how something happens, and why, and how different actions relate.

Only then I can - gaining experience with this software tool - decide what approach to use to get a certain result that I can see with my "inner eye".

Reference: the classic painters learned everything about their tools, the colors, perspective, how to paint certain materials like stone, marble, human flesh that it looked real. They covered their basics, had their behinds covered, knew how to connect inspiration and the earthy, factual tools they used. Their art had both feets on the ground, or otherwise, it wouldn't have worked.

So this is my attempt to get my feet on the ground, Photoshop-wise.

Results of my research of CS3 books:

A -  general CS3 books

1. Photoshop CS3 One-On-One - Deke McClelland

2. Real World Adobe Photoshop CS3, by David Blatner, Conrad Chavez, Bruce Fraser (on preorder status)

B - Photoshop books, specializing in the photographers' needs.

1. Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers,  by Martin Evening

2. Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS3, by Bruce Fraser, Jeff Schewe (on preorder status)

Only two of these books are available at the moment.

Would you recommend starting with Martin Evening's book?

Or rather, with the more general, less photographer oriented, basic approach of Deke McClelland in his One-on-One series book?

Or do you have any other suggestions?

How do you study the software? Do you use the expamples provided on the CD, or do you rather work on one of your own images?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

button

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:00:03 am »

I believe in the "learn by doing" approach, which over time naturally lays out the inner workings of a process.  I would definitely buy Martin Evening's book, because he teaches with examples.  Initially, I tried to look at Photoshop as a whole, which didn't work- all the dropdown menus, buttons, and tools paralyzed me.  But, if you learn some simple tricks and use them repeatedly, the program starts to open up.  One of the most important distinctions to make when using Photoshop as a photo editor is that between global and local adjustments.  Start by optimizing the picture as a whole (global), and then fix individual parts through painting on/off masked layers where needed (local).  Example:

1) Correct exposure and white balance.
2) Decide what areas need to be lighter, darker, more/less contrasty, etc.  Now, add the appropriate adjustment layer (with a mask) and flip the mask to black with the "ctrl + I" keys (the layer is now hidden)
3) Select the paint brush, choose white as a background color, and "paint on" your adjustment layer where you need it (make sure the mask, and not the layer itself, is selected).  Overdid it?  Just flip the mask back to white, switch your background color to black, and paint the mask back where you want it.
4) Change the blending mode of your adjustment layer- play around with the choices and see what happens.  You can also change the blend mode of your paintbrush to modify the effect of your local adjustment.

An oversimplification, I know, but these few steps will get quite a bit done for you.  Use your "recipe" book to learn details about a specific command you are using.  This is all like learning to play a musical instrument: learn a few riffs, then a few more.  Pretty soon, you've learned a song, and through repetition, you've strengthened your fingers.

Woodcorner

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 04:35:02 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes.
If I was to choose only one Photoshop book for photographers, it would be this one. If I had the choice of two, I'd get the 'Real World Photoshop CSx" as well.

If you also want to dig into B&W, I would recommend a third one, "Mastering Digital Black and White" by Amadou Diallo. It includes a lot of practical information on using PS with B&W images.

Cheers,

Andrew

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:24:06 pm »

Quote from: The View,Sep 27 2007, 11:11 PM
I want to know how something happens, and why, and how different actions relate.

If you really want to get to know how things work, I would recommend the Photoshop books by Evening and Fraser. and specifcally Bruce Frasers books on Camera Raw(being updated and due for release in October), sharpening and color management. You may also want to look at Andrew Rodney's(The Digital Dog)book on color management.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 06:24:45 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:38:51 pm »

How do you study the software? Do you use the examples provided on the CD, or do you rather work on one of your own images?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep.  Martin's book is outstanding.

I use my own images.  That provides the motivation rather than have it as an academic exercise.  YMMV.
Regards,
Ron

The View

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:21:32 am »

I'm going to order Martin Evening's book.

And have the book about Color Management on my watch list (after I have the basics down).

The real world series, it's already part of my list, and I'll take a look at them when they come out.

Yep.  Martin's book is outstanding.

I use my own images.  That provides the motivation rather than have it as an academic exercise.  YMMV.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142543\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also can't submit myself to a restrictive setting of editing someone else's photos, even for exercise. How shall I know what I want from the image if I haven't taken it (and maybe these exercise photos proove to be uninspiring).
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 02:23:14 am »

I believe in the "learn by doing" approach, which over time naturally lays out the inner workings of a process.  I would definitely buy Martin Evening's book, because he teaches with examples.  Initially, I tried to look at Photoshop as a whole, which didn't work- all the dropdown menus, buttons, and tools paralyzed me.  But, if you learn some simple tricks and use them repeatedly, the program starts to open up.  One of the most important distinctions to make when using Photoshop as a photo editor is that between global and local adjustments.  Start by optimizing the picture as a whole (global), and then fix individual parts through painting on/off masked layers where needed (local).  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Global versus local, if this is the underlying theme in Photoshop, then this approach sounds very realistic.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 09:42:47 am »

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Classroom in a Book by Adobe Press will teach you to use all of the tools available.
Gerald J Skrocki

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 05:04:20 pm »

Evening's books are great, but if you are more of a "visual learner" I'd strongly suggest Deke McClelland's videos on Lynda.com. The Total Training DVD series is excellent as well.

IMHO books are best used for quick reference - looking something up - rather than learning from start to finish.

This is the age of multimedia, after all...
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 07:30:44 pm »

Nat, I agree - partly. I have what has become a little library of Photoshop books, because I find that each author bring different persectives and different things to the table. But one does need some foundations in order to even begin to know what are the right questions to ask and answers to find in these reference books. For that, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ben Willmore's superb "Photoshop CS(++) Studio Techniques". All the authors being discussed here are of course first-rate, but when it comes to communicating conceptually complex principles in a very tangible and understandable way, Ben's is really one of those books that one DOES read from top to bottom - and then consult along with the others as needed. His communication of the foundations and the "whys and wherefores" is very special.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up