Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another California Landscape  (Read 3352 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Another California Landscape
« on: September 15, 2007, 02:33:29 am »

Here's another from my 2004 excursion:

[attachment=3245:attachment]

C & C welcome, especially on the colors, I did something a bit different and am curious what you all think of it.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 07:47:12 am »

Reminds me of some of my own experiments in applying a "Dragonizing" technique to landscapes.  In general I think it's a pleasant change from some of the oversaturated stuff that's out there.  What I don't think works well on this shot is the foreground.  While in Calif Dreaming, there was (at least for me) sufficient foreground detail - here it looks like some aging defect on the print has eaten into the bottom part.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 03:11:15 pm »

Here's another from my 2004 excursion:

[attachment=3245:attachment]

C & C welcome, especially on the colors, I did something a bit different and am curious what you all think of it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139539\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like the shot, but I'm more intrigued by "did something a bit different"! Do we get to know what?

Jeremy

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 04:59:07 pm »

Basically I start with a color version, and process and sharpen normally. Then I duplicate the background layer, convert it to B&W, and do a bit of additional sharpening and curves to get the best possible B&W rendering of the image. Then I convert to LAB mode without flattening and hide the B&W layer. The last step is to apply the L channel of the B&W layer to the L channel of the color layer.

The tonality tweaks made during B&W conversion and processing get applied to the final color rendering, but without affecting hue or saturation. That's what gives the image the lazlo/dragon look.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 07:35:36 pm »

Basically I start with a color version, and process and sharpen normally. Then I duplicate the background layer, convert it to B&W, and do a bit of additional sharpening and curves to get the best possible B&W rendering of the image. Then I convert to LAB mode without flattening and hide the B&W layer. The last step is to apply the L channel of the B&W layer to the L channel of the color layer.

The tonality tweaks made during B&W conversion and processing get applied to the final color rendering, but without affecting hue or saturation. That's what gives the image the lazlo/dragon look.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fascinating - thanks. I suspect that's the kind of technique that those advocating a post-processing forum had in mind for discussion there.

Jeremy

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:09 am »

Actually the MF guys are more interested in model skin retouch techniques.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 06:04:34 pm »

Actually the MF guys are more interested in model skin retouch techniques.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, so I see. I'm not a pro; I take photographs to get pictures for my wall. I've not put up posters like those since I was a teenager.

De gustibus, however.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up