Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Mac  (Read 2512 times)

HickersonJasonC

New to Mac
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:58:20 pm »

I'm sure there is a very simple fix for what I'm experiencing, but I can't find it by searching here. So . . .

First off, I'm using a Macbook Pro 15 (with the new LED display) attached to a Samsung Syncmaster 204B display. I have calibrated and profiled both displays using Spyder2Pro and they match quite nicely to my eyes. I should point out that I've used the 204B for the past six months with no color management issues at all in Windows XP.

The problem I'm encountering is when using Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw viewed on the 204B. Raw images processed in ACR do not match the same image when viewed in Bridge. The ACR image looks normal (after all, I edited the image using this view) but the image looks very saturated by comparison with slightly more contrast in Bridge. When I open the image in PS, it matches the ACR view.

The strange thing to me is that this effect is lessened considerably when I drag the two windows onto my Macbook Pro's display. Also, when I drag the ACR image from my Macbook Pro over to the 204B, the images match until I release the window. I suspect that Bridge is using the profile for my Macbook Pro on the 204B. If this is the case, how do I fix it? Note that the screenshot does not show the difference adequately; the actual difference is quite exaggerated.

[attachment=3205:attachment]

For the record, I have tried checking and unchecking "enable color management" in Bridge with no change. I'm using CS3. I'm quite new to both Macs and dual-displays. Any help would be appreciated.

afremiotti

• http://www.andreafremiotti.com, www.burnphoto.com
New to Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:04:51 am »

was just about to post the same issue. After talking to Adobe tech support I found it is because they have disabled color management in Bridge unless you purchase the entire creative suit. It is a new "feature" that was updated in either version 2.0 or 2.1, he wasn't sure.

I was so upset i didn't know how to act. I have several licenses and no need for the entire suit so upgrading is way too cost prohibitive. I felt like I was being  blackmailed.

The only recourse the tech support offered was to place a feature request on their website.

Hopefully someone reads that request quick, before my next shoot and explanation to my client why I can't get both screens to match or accurate previews.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:06:36 am by afremiotti »

HickersonJasonC

New to Mac
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 06:23:30 pm »

. . . I found it is because they have disabled color management in Bridge unless you purchase the entire creative suit. It is a new "feature" that was updated in either version 2.0 or 2.1, he wasn't sure.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138402\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That would be ridiculous. Let's hope that rep didn't know what he was talking about . . . why would anyone upgrade to CS3? A push toward Lightroom?

Firstly, I do have the Creative Suite. Secondly, I was using Bridge in CS2 with no color management issues (Bridge 3, right?). Further, it doesn't explain why Bridge is color managed on my MBPro but not on my external display.

I have to say I don't think this is going to cause me too much trouble as working with Bridge on my MBPro and ACR on the external display not only solves the problem, but actually is quite a great way to work and view the image before and after without having to toggle the preview button. It doesn't make me feel very confident about my color management situation at present, though.

afremiotti

New to Mac
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:40:15 am »

Not from a rep, this was adobe tech support who told me the issue. Bridge in CS2 had color management enabled that is why you didn't see it before. This is new that they just disabled in the newest update to Bridge. Again this is info directly from Adobe.

The reason that you don't have this problem on the Macbook screen is that the videocard forces that screen to be color managed but Bridge doesn't recognize the profile for the second monitor. It is actually using the profile from the macbook on that monitor. Only one LUT per video card, that's why we need software enabled color management. To see accurate previews on the external monitor set the MBPro to use the externals profile. The previews will no longer be accurate on the Macbook but look great on the external. I've tried this it works.

Do you have Creative suit Premium? That's what the tech guy told me I needed to buy to have it reenabled.

JohnAtBurn

• http://
New to Mac
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:55:35 am »

Well if the issue is that Bridge now only addresses one color-managed display then how come every occurrence i've read about in the forums has the other monitor being exclusively "warm and saturated". Why would everyone's 2nd display happen to be both warmer and more saturated?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
New to Mac
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:07:43 am »

There's a difference between enable color management in Bridge and Synchronize color management! The later DOES require the suite, the former doesn't.

That said, Bridge is a bit of a train wreck with respect to previewing. You're not the only one's who have reported this issue. It could be due to a bad display profile. I got one email from a user who found out that a profile built by a Spyder caused this disconnect. When he tried a different package, all was fine. So check that out (as well as the settings used to build the profile).

You also need to compare the various previews at 100% zoom or bigger! That's because each application may handle zoomed out, subsampled previews differently.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

afremiotti

New to Mac
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:33:22 am »

I'm just repeating what the Adobe tech told me. "Color managegment is no longer enabled in bridge." This wasn't the case with CS2 and I had no problems.

I am not using a spyder I am using an i1.  Also other programs such as Leaf capture work fine and give the same preview on both monitors.

I have no idea why peoples monitors tend to be warm and saturated. My main machine tends to be contrasty and pink on the second monitor. If I use that same profile on both displays the secondary monitor looks great and the main display, a Wacom Cintiq, is dark and green. John, check the name of the poster you are responding to. We are talking about the same computer.

The loupe tool which is the only way to look at an image at 100% in Bridge that I know of also looks wacked, same as the preview. If I bring the image image into ACR it looks perfect on both at any resolution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up