Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell 20 inch Wide screen 2007WFP  (Read 5077 times)

Bill Koenig

Dell 20 inch Wide screen 2007WFP
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:11:24 pm »

A friend of mine asked me if the Dell 20 inch Wide screen 2007WFP Ultra Sharp Digital Flat Panel was any good for photo editing. I still use a CRT, but we did a little searching on the web and most of what we found looked good, but I didn't see much in regards to photo editing. I tried a search on LL but all that came up were errors (not sure if I'm using that right)
Anyone have any experience with this monitor?
Bill Koenig,

abaazov

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:35:48 pm »

i have no experience with the 2007 but i have had the 2407 for a while, and quite frankly it is disappointing as a photo editing screen. i use monaco x-rite to calibrate, and a ihave a 24-inch samsung as well. the difference is night and day in terms of calibration. the dell is just too damn bright. the dell screen is great for real estate, but not for photo editing work.
amnon

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:39:44 pm »

A friend of mine asked me if the Dell 20 inch Wide screen 2007WFP Ultra Sharp Digital Flat Panel was any good for photo editing. I still use a CRT, but we did a little searching on the web and most of what we found looked good, but I didn't see much in regards to photo editing. I tried a search on LL but all that came up were errors (not sure if I'm using that right)
Anyone have any experience with this monitor?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

this particular monitor is part of the Great Dell Lottery - meaning you have no idea if the one you are getting is the prefered  S-ISP panel or the PMVA panel.
If you buy it from Costco you can use their excellent return policy should you end up with the PMVA panel.
I own a Dell 2007WFP as well as a NEC 20WMGX2. I prefer the NEC. The Dell is adequate for digital processing- but you will be hard pressed to find a better monitor for digital photo processing at that price point.

Alaska

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 05:04:32 pm »

The Dell is adequate for digital processing- but you will be hard pressed to find a better monitor for digital photo processing at that price point.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, for around $600 the Dell 2407 is a very good buy.  (CostCo $570.00 shipping & handling included) Also use the Monaco x-rite to calibrate and find that it holds calibration well.  The Average dE is around 1.00 and varies little through the month or months.  One hint, is to allow the LCD to "warm up" for an hour prior to processing any images or evaluating your calibration.

The comment about being bright is very true.  Use the "dim" setting with screen brightness set at 34 and the white lum is 154 cd/m2.

If cost is no object then take a look at LaCie and Eizo.

Jim

Bill Koenig

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:50:58 pm »

this particular monitor is part of the Great Dell Lottery - meaning you have no idea if the one you are getting is the prefered  S-ISP panel or the PMVA panel.
If you buy it from Costco you can use their excellent return policy should you end up with the PMVA panel.
I own a Dell 2007WFP as well as a NEC 20WMGX2. I prefer the NEC. The Dell is adequate for digital processing- but you will be hard pressed to find a better monitor for digital photo processing at that price point.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow, how do you tell difference between S-ISP and PMVA?
Bill Koenig,

sojournerphoto

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 05:51:08 pm »

Yes, for around $600 the Dell 2407 is a very good buy.  (CostCo $570.00 shipping & handling included) Also use the Monaco x-rite to calibrate and find that it holds calibration well.  The Average dE is around 1.00 and varies little through the month or months.  One hint, is to allow the LCD to "warm up" for an hour prior to processing any images or evaluating your calibration.

The comment about being bright is very true.  Use the "dim" setting with screen brightness set at 34 and the white lum is 154 cd/m2.

If cost is no object then take a look at LaCie and Eizo.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got a 2007 and it's far too bright on default (75%) backlight, but you can turn it down for editing. Profile at the dimmed setting. Budget precludes an Eizo or LaCie

Mike

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 11:20:52 pm »

Here is a nice summary of Dell Displays:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors

I'm using the 2407 at home and initially found it far too bright, after profiling it is working well for me.  

I have a 2707 at work and never was satisfied with apearance for photo work, just as well - at the same resolution (both are 1920x1200) the larger is more comfortable for text/programming.

hope this helps - John

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:39:21 pm »

Wow, how do you tell difference between S-ISP and PMVA?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100[/url]

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:33:34 pm »

This comes under the category of "I can't believe I did that".
I bought the 2007 WFP for photo editing only to find the laptop I was going to use wouldn't support it's screen resolution. Sigh. My other laptop did work with it but only if I had black bands down both sides of the screen. So no advantage in having a wide screen. Dell kindly picked it up and gave me a full refund and I then bought their 2007 FP. Calibrated with Spyder 2 Pro with the brightness turned way down and white point "native". After going from a laptop screen I can't believe the quality and sharpness of the images, and they seem to  match the printed output well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up