Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Imacon Backs  (Read 17197 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Imacon Backs
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 01:38:08 pm »

Naturally I have visited the Hasselblad website first however they tend to say that everything is perfect  

I find it nice to hear peoples opinions as well, sure everybody has different styles of working.

Sofar my main interest is with the 80, 100 and 120macro. I probably start with the 80 and 100 with some extention tubes. The 120 is for what I do maybe a tad too long.

Currently I take the back off more often than my lenses to switch between cameras. Dust isn't really something that bothers me too much (how could it with my name).

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 06:28:53 pm »

Don't you guys find shooting portraits with H2 / H3 to be really difficult, especially handheld?  The rig is already heavy enough and yet you have to rotate the camera 90 degrees to frame shots.  Is there a way to rotate the back instead?

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

Don't you guys find shooting portraits with H2 / H3 to be really difficult, especially handheld?  The rig is already heavy enough and yet you have to rotate the camera 90 degrees to frame shots.  Is there a way to rotate the back instead?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All cameras with rectangular chips work that way.... sometimes square chips are best for some shooting styles, like portraits....

Henry Goh

Imacon Backs
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 07:12:40 pm »

All cameras with rectangular chips work that way.... sometimes square chips are best for some shooting styles, like portraits....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136068\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is there no manufacturer that makes a back that can rotate?

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 08:12:41 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't believe it's very practical to stop shooting to rotate the back, especially if your shooting people. Plus, the viewfinder would not allow proper composing.....I would also imagine that a mechanism to allow the back to rotate would cause some focus issues as there would have to be some ply/slack in the mechanism to allow it to rotate.

If it's that much trouble for you, a square chipped back is the way to go.... but really, the new 39MP backs provide a massive file to crop as you see fit in post.

The only rotating backs that I know of (Kapture Group) are for studio cameras, like the Fuji 680 and view cameras.

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 08:19:58 pm »

The rig is already heavy enough and yet you have to rotate the camera 90 degrees to frame shots. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quick look at Hasselblad's site (and unless my math is incorrect) shows an H2 with viewfinder, 39MP back and 80mm lens actually weighs less than a Canon MKIII with 85mm lens..... I'd say HB did a pretty good job at addressing your concerns!

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Imacon Backs
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 08:28:16 pm »

Quick look at Hasselblad's site (and unless my math is incorrect) shows an H2 with viewfinder, 39MP back and 80mm lens actually weighs less than a Canon MKIII with 85mm lens..... I'd say HB did a pretty good job at addressing your concerns!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In my tests of the H series I found that these cameras really perform, viewfinder and focus are good, and as this poster said an H with a Phase back and an 80mm is actually a decently compact object which compares to an EOS-1 series Canon in bulk and weight.

The one thing I don't like is the "look"; I think the lenses are a bit harsh, even the 100mm. If I were doing landscape I would seriously consider the H series.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 08:29:45 pm »

In my tests of the H series I found that these cameras really perform, viewfinder and focus are good, and as this poster said an H with a Phase back and an 80mm is actually a decently compact object which compares to an EOS-1 series Canon in bulk and weight.

The one thing I don't like is the "look"; I think the lenses are a bit harsh, even the 100mm. If I were doing landscape I would seriously consider the H series.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136081\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Harsh?

erikhillard

Imacon Backs
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 09:05:30 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mamiya RZ.  Digital back mounts via an adapter plate that rotates just like a film back.

You could also use a Hassy V series, but the back has to be removed and mounted the opposite direction.

Erik Hillard  Running Pixels [url=http:

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 09:09:03 pm »

Mamiya RZ.  Digital back mounts via an adapter plate that rotates just like a film back.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that's a good choice of camera for hand holding....;-)

erikhillard

Imacon Backs
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 09:12:42 pm »

an H with a Phase back and an 80mm is actually a decently compact object which compares to an EOS-1 series Canon in bulk and weight.

Yes, but every other H lens is easily twice as big as the 80mm.  50, Zoom, 120, 150 are all large lenses which make the camera very front heavy and bulky.  Some of the H lenses I have seen are very sharp.  The zoom not so much in my opinion.  But focus is somewhat subjective when related to one's photographic style.  :-)

To get a back the thread..  Imacon/Hasselblad digital backs are great.  Good color and Flexcolor is a good software.  But I would not recommend them to heavy people shooters.  Tethered speed is very very slow compared to Phase and Leaf.  For studio work where you aren't cranking thru the frames Imacon/Hassy is great.  But if you have to crank out 1300 frames before lunch..  forget it.

erikhillard

Imacon Backs
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »

I don't think that's a good choice of camera for hand holding....;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136086\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean you don't have forearms of steel ??   :-)

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 09:35:22 pm »

Yes, but every other H lens is easily twice as big as the 80mm.  50, Zoom, 120, 150 are all large lenses which make the camera very front heavy and bulky.  Some of the H lenses I have seen are very sharp.  The zoom not so much in my opinion.  But focus is somewhat subjective when related to one's photographic style.  :-)
To get a back the thread..  Imacon/Hasselblad digital backs are great.  Good color and Flexcolor is a good software.  But I would not recommend them to heavy people shooters.  Tethered speed is very very slow compared to Phase and Leaf.  For studio work where you aren't cranking thru the frames Imacon/Hassy is great.  But if you have to crank out 1300 frames before lunch..  forget it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

lenses: yes that's true, but that applies to all cameras....
speed: I don't believe the speed differences are that great any longer - I understand they were, but many improvements have been made recently....

Again, each system has limitations and advantages. No one system can do everything.

erikhillard

Imacon Backs
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 12:12:07 am »

speed: I don't believe the speed differences are that great any longer - I understand they were, but many improvements have been made recently....

I disagree.  We recently did a speed/stress comparison and the H3D is the only back that takes more than 2 seconds between shots while tethered.  

Most importantly, Flexcolor basically locks up after the first few frames and you do not see previews while the camera is being shot heavily.  After 1 min of heavy shooting it takes upwards of 5 minutes for all the previews to load and control of the software is given back to the user.  Compared to Leaf and Phase backs and software, this is a huge difference.  So again, I believe Imacon/Hassy to be a good system for shooters who don't have 1000+ frame shoot days.  

Details of this speed/stress test can be seen on our website if you are interested..

Nick-T

Imacon Backs
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007, 12:31:25 am »

I disagree.  We recently did a speed/stress comparison and the H3D is the only back that takes more than 2 seconds between shots while tethered. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Eric What version of Flexcolour were you running?

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

erikhillard

Imacon Backs
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 12:50:10 am »

Hey Eric What version of Flexcolour were you running?

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

4.7 if I recall correctly..

josayeruk

Imacon Backs
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 02:56:46 am »

4.7 if I recall correctly..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There was a bug in 4.7 which affected tethered speed shooting and the way previews were displayed...

4.7.1 is much better!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Imacon Backs
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 04:45:14 am »

I use 4.7.1 and was pleasantly surprised by the speed of the CF39. I was expecting a lot slower performance that might have helped.

Naturally it is not as fast as my A17 but that is no wonder with files that are a lot bigger.

Sure, Leaf S-class backs are way faster but I don't necessary feel that the speed of the Hasselblads render them useless for people.

I usually do around 500 to 1000 shots on a busy day where 500 is usual and 1000 exceptional.

Even post production is not as slow as I initially expected though it is slower than with the 17MP back.

Now, I do have other issues that I find more important but than again so did I with Leaf. (have not used Phase or Sinar).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 04:49:40 am by Dustbak »

erikhillard

Imacon Backs
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 10:24:29 am »

I use 4.7.1 and was pleasantly surprised by the speed of the CF39. I was expecting a lot slower performance that might have helped.

Thanks for the info..  I'll double check our test machines to see what version of the Flexcolor we used.  The rental house told us it was the most current version, but that doesn't mean they were right.  :-)

psp

Imacon Backs
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 10:30:40 am »

Thanks for the info..  I'll double check our test machines to see what version of the Flexcolor we used.  The rental house told us it was the most current version, but that doesn't mean they were right.  :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And using firewire 800 will also affect the results....

Cheers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up