Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: North Carolina Outer Banks  (Read 5630 times)

espressogeek

North Carolina Outer Banks
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:00:49 am »

I was hoping you all could help me out. I am planning a trip in September to somewhere and I was considering the outer banks. My intentions are to get away from it all and do some fine art landscapes of the sea in the early morning, later afternoon and perhaps night. Can someone outline the highlights and some places to stay?

Cheers  

Jon Smith

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:32:06 pm »

I was hoping you all could help me out. I am planning a trip in September to somewhere and I was considering the outer banks. My intentions are to get away from it all and do some fine art landscapes of the sea in the early morning, later afternoon and perhaps night. Can someone outline the highlights and some places to stay?

Cheers   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135190\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you still heading down?  I may have missed the boat, but just joined LL..

espressogeek

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:41:26 pm »

Are you still heading down?  I may have missed the boat, but just joined LL..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yea I'm leaving saturday morning.Can you throw me a bone?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:18:07 pm »

Yea I'm leaving saturday morning.Can you throw me a bone?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I love the Outer Banks. If possible, don't miss Ocracoke Island. You can only get there by ferry, either from the mainland ($$) or from Hatteras Village (free). It's 14 miles of undeveloped seashore, with a small village at the southern end.

The Hatteras light is classic, of course, though not as nice an image now that they've moved it inland. (Better than letting it fall into the ocean, I suppose.) Hatteras Point is interesting, but it's a loooong walk with a tripod.

The Wright Brothers monument is pretty cool, as is Jockey's Ridge, though that area is much more developed.

Have fun.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

espressogeek

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:33:56 pm »

Thanks for the info. I'm staying in Hatteras so I'll have to make Ocracoke Island one day. Any good shots off that island?

Jon Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:35:37 pm »

If landscapes are your only desire, you can hardly NOT find a good place to shoot.  Ocracoke is certainly a must-visit island.  I would also recommend a trip up Hwy. 12 to Pea Island and Oregon Inlet.  There is an abandoned life-saving station on Pea Island, just a short walk from pavement.  Plenty of wildlife if that takes your fancy.

(Note that the H. Bonner bridge scores a 2 out of 100 for bridges...) crossing over the Bonner Bridge and accessing the beach under the bridge (depending on how much beach is actually there at the time) can yield some wonderful sunset shots juxtaposed with the bridge.

Further up the highway, Jockey's Ridge and the Wright Memorial as previously mentioned.  A short trip down Hwy. 64 can lead you out to East Lake, where you'll find Milltail Creek.  Perhaps not so much for landscape shots, but LOTS of wildlife (I've traced 1,000lb Black Bear here) and if you're timing is good, civilians can gain access to watch bombing practice on the Army and/or Navy bombing ranges (don't worry, signs give you plenty of warning before you become an unwilling target).

If you head into Manteo, you'll find a replica of the Queen Elizabeth II ship down on the waterfront.  I would highly recommend heading down Annanias Dare St. (next to the Baptist Church) and visit Hubby Blivens' wildlife art gallery.  Hubby is also a leading historian of the island and can surely lead you to some great locations to visit.

espressogeek

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 11:22:20 pm »

Wow, Thanks Jon! I'm going to print this out before I leave so I can take a stab at all of this! I'm not into just landscapes, I would like to capture part of the native element of the place, fishing villages and such. I don't have anything longer than a 200mm on my D200 so the wildlife has to be fairly tame. I'll take a stab at that bridge while I'm there and I'm really wanting to find some abstracts of light and shadow on the dunes.

Jon Smith

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 06:53:56 am »

Wow, Thanks Jon! I'm going to print this out before I leave so I can take a stab at all of this! I'm not into just landscapes, I would like to capture part of the native element of the place, fishing villages and such. I don't have anything longer than a 200mm on my D200 so the wildlife has to be fairly tame. I'll take a stab at that bridge while I'm there and I'm really wanting to find some abstracts of light and shadow on the dunes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you do head up to Manteo, take the short drive down to Wanchese (wahn-cheese) and grab lunch at the wharf.  Note signs to the Queen Anne's Revenge while there, and hit it up for dinner.  It can be tricky to find the place, but watch for the well hidden signs

Feel free to drop me a PM, my family comes from Manteo.  I'm by no means an expert on the place, but I've visited from time to time