Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who would like there own online library?  (Read 2743 times)

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
Who would like there own online library?
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:14:37 pm »

I posted this on DPreview also.

I got an email today from a company that provides online library software. I /We pinged a few emails back and forth. I said I like the idea but it isn't quite enough features for me. I need things like price calculators etc, I suggested they looked at Alamy to get an idea, I also sent them to a photographers site that had one built. A searchable site by keyword, pictures in catagories, price calculator and server with high res for download. I said I'm shure there is a market for an off the shelf adaptable solution. The next email was how many photographers would be interested. So I thought I would ask, I'm not on any kind of deal here, anyone else interested. It would not be cheap, so only if you are serious let me know. I'm shure there are many of you that like the idea. I'm not selling anything here just looking to see if others are interested.
I kinow it sounds like a sales pitch, but if enough think it's a good idea we could all get a cheap online picture library solution. I have no connection with the company or anyone in it.

Kevin.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 01:28:22 pm »

Kevin

Photoshelter and Digital Railroad already offer similar services to photographers with
different packages ranging from about $9.95 to $49.95 a month depandant on a number
of different factors.

Both enable the photog to use the service as a standalone personal website or be
integrated into a collective site where prospective buyers search across all participating
sites within the network for content.

Both offer pricing calculators supporting either Royalty free or rights-managed imagery.

Both are becoming well-established brands in this field and,as such, I would be leery
seeking out similar options from small entities that are unknown.

Photoshelter even offers a free option where the users gets 5 GB of online storage in
additiopn to a fully featured site.

A large number of well-established pros are using either PS or DRR for online showcasing
and delivery of images in addition to the archiving/library features.

To answer your question,I would not be interested in the services of an unknown at this
point in time and i  think anyone with knowledge of DRR or PS would  also be inclined to
be of the same opinion

Both companies are also extremely responsive to users feature requests.

Mark
www.digitalrailroad.net/marktomalty
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:31:12 pm by mtomalty »

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:52:50 pm »

Kevin

Photoshelter and Digital Railroad already offer similar services to photographers with
different packages ranging from about $9.95 to $49.95 a month depandant on a number
of different factors.

Both enable the photog to use the service as a standalone personal website or be
integrated into a collective site where prospective buyers search across all participating
sites within the network for content.

Both offer pricing calculators supporting either Royalty free or rights-managed imagery.

Both are becoming well-established brands in this field and,as such, I would be leery
seeking out similar options from small entities that are unknown.

Photoshelter even offers a free option where the users gets 5 GB of online storage in
additiopn to a fully featured site.

A large number of well-established pros are using either PS or DRR for online showcasing
and delivery of images in addition to the archiving/library features.

To answer your question,I would not be interested in the services of an unknown at this
point in time and i  think anyone with knowledge of DRR or PS would  also be inclined to
be of the same opinion

Both companies are also extremely responsive to users feature requests.

Mark
www.digitalrailroad.net/marktomalty
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135066\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just looked at digital railroad it looks like a site I'm already with and they take a percentage. It's not the same as having your own site to promote.

Kevin.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 02:01:08 pm »

I can do libraries for photographers. (like mine www.beachfeature.com) I also host for some other 'private' phtographers (login only libraries)

There are pros and cons to small indy solutions Versus DRR etc.

The main being absolute custom-ability

I program specific requests for my clients

One example was integration with an SMS service

I think in terms of Digital MF (and retouches and the tracked ordering thereof)  the workflow can require special solutions

I also beleive my image search algorithym is ahead

Sorry to plug my self!

p.s. people can try mine for free

SMM
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 02:02:17 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 04:47:42 am »

I was with DRR now I am with Photoshelter.

I have years of IT experience. BUT hey, I gave that up to be a photographer, not to mess around with supporting my own online library. I want more time to take pictures! Someone else can host and sell them for me.

Photoshelter is really great.  I gave up on DRR when they had a major technical failure which they failed to recover from (Pictures were not lost, but they did lose photographers custom site data). To me that's hard to forgive.  Now that DRR have a sales solution and are actively marketing stock I might also go back with them, as the more outlets... the better.

When you pay the small %age to Photoshelter or DRR, you are getting in return hundreds of man years of IT support, not to mention marketing and possibly some search engine relevancy.

I sold my first print from Photoshelters related print service recently. Making, packaging, sending and billing a print might have taken me two hours of my own time. For the modest fee from Photoshelter, this took me all of 5 minutes to email the client an invitation to the online gallery. Time is money, and that seems like a good deal to me.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up