Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSLR and MF gap  (Read 2245 times)

KAP

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 168
    • http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
DSLR and MF gap
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:00:31 am »

The more I think about it the more I think all the new Canons and Nikons have for me instead of closing the gap between MF and top end DSLRs, they have highlighted the difference. I'll wait a few months to see how the Canon works out in the rough and tumble before deciding.
I'm increasingly getting asked for files for A3 at 300dpi, that leaves little for cropping straightening etc Plus I still have issues with a number of Canon lenses. If this is the best for a couple of years, the backs look a safer investment now than they did a week ago.
I'm not saying the mkIII is not a top notch camera, I'm shure it will be, but it doesn't look like the poormans MF substitute I thought it might. I think it is quite a conservative upgrade, I think Canon could of gone further without much more effort.

Kevin.
Logged

Randal32

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 71
DSLR and MF gap
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:47:53 am »

I get asked for big files as well.  Early in the summer, I made the jump to MF with P30+ and Mamiya.

With that said though, what I dont like about MF is the speed.  the p30+ can shoot fast but the autofocus is a joke compared to canon.  and I use autofocus 90% of the time.

I think it just depends on what you're shooting.  If I'm shooting a portrait of someone I only have 15 minutes with, I'm reaching for the 1DsIII.  If I'm shooting a portrait of someone I have 2 hours with, I'll use the p30+ .. At the end of the day, the p30 files looks better every time and will for the next couple years...

Another debate is though, does that difference translate into a 4 color CMYK press.  IMO, I don't think so.

One thing that is very nice about the phase files is they dont require near as much post processesing... If Mamiya had a little bit better AF system (maybe 3 points, instead of one) I would never look back =)
Logged

KAP

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 168
    • http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
DSLR and MF gap
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:22:31 am »

Quote
I get asked for big files as well.  Early in the summer, I made the jump to MF with P30+ and Mamiya.

With that said though, what I dont like about MF is the speed.  the p30+ can shoot fast but the autofocus is a joke compared to canon.  and I use autofocus 90% of the time.

I think it just depends on what you're shooting.  If I'm shooting a portrait of someone I only have 15 minutes with, I'm reaching for the 1DsIII.  If I'm shooting a portrait of someone I have 2 hours with, I'll use the p30+ .. At the end of the day, the p30 files looks better every time and will for the next couple years...

Another debate is though, does that difference translate into a 4 color CMYK press.  IMO, I don't think so.

One thing that is very nice about the phase files is they dont require near as much post processesing... If Mamiya had a little bit better AF system (maybe 3 points, instead of one) I would never look back =)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have no idea whyclients want big files as most end up A4, it's not for me to question them. Autofocus doesn't matter for me mostly. I shoot aerials, if it's close enough to focus it's probably the last picture I'll take.
More importantly does the end user notice the difference between a Phase and a Canon file, I know some can see I use a camera that gives a "bigger picture" than most of my competitors.
My big plus for MF would be my library images, I'm always cropping to supply a better composition of the requested subject. When I was shooting 6x7 I had lots of freedom for adjustment, not so much with the Canon. I'm thinking the new Canon does not improve much on the areas that concern me, the lenses are still a problem and pixel count has not gone up much.
The gap looks bigger now I know what  Canon's immediate future is.

Kevin.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up