Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS Mark III - Lens Resolving Concerns  (Read 19143 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
1DS Mark III - Lens Resolving Concerns
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2007, 08:03:58 pm »

PS Knocking Hassey glass also seems a losing proposition. This is no 'emperor has no clothes situation' not after 150 years it aint
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The proof is in the pudding.  Why not test the Hassy glass on a Canon and then get back to us.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 09:21:05 pm by infocusinc »
Craig Lamson Photo

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 05:24:09 am »

The proof is in the pudding.  Why not test the Hassy glass on a Canon and then get back to us.
Thanks to our esteemed Mark Welsh at 16-9.net, we'll probably see tests of this soon (see the bottom of the page).
Jan

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 06:25:05 am »

Thanks to our esteemed Mark Welsh at 16-9.net, we'll probably see tests of this soon (see the bottom of the page).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry I missed the mention of Hassey lenses on a Canon,  could you please point it out?  I was under the impression that Mark has divested himself of his Canon gear in favor of the Mamiya and back.  If so I would be suprised to see more Canon testing.
Craig Lamson Photo

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 03:43:46 am »

I had that problem wiht my 24-70L lens. I never really noticed it until I shot teh same subject (A tree trunk with bushy background) with both lenses at maximum length. The other lens was teh 70-200L and it was unbelievably sharper, so much in fact that I sent the 24-70L back to canon for calibration. It's sharp now. Very sharp. I would recommend sending all new lenses back for calibration by the factory since the lens is not on teh assembly line but adjusted by a Canon tech on the bench. However, my 17-34L and 70-200L seem sharp enough without doing that. I am still tempted. It wouldn't hurt. If it's calibrated then they simply don't do anything to it.

I don't believe that it's a case of all Canon lenses not having the resolving power. For me, I found that it was one particular lens, the 24-70/2.8 L, that was never consistently sharp. This may be the case with other specific Canon lenses, too. The buzz seems to be that Canon's wide angle lenses in general aren't too hot. But my experience is limited to this one, plus some longer lenses that were always razor sharp.

I tried 3 different 24-70s and none were consistently sharp. This general focal length zoom is my workhorse lens, and its lack of sharpness was the main factor that made me switch back to the D2x when it came out.

Some of the promotional pitch about the MkIII mentions some supposed focus improvements. I'd be curious to see if they addressed this issue in a real way.

David

www.brennanphotography.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 06:08:09 pm »

Sorry I missed the mention of Hassey lenses on a Canon,  could you please point it out?
Try using the "find" function in your browser.

If you have a user friendly browser, the following keyboard shortcuts work:

Firefox: /
Opera: .

Then enter "hassel", and you'll see e.g. "Hasselblad 50mm v Canon 50mm macro".

I was under the impression that Mark has divested himself of his Canon gear in favor of the Mamiya and back.  If so I would be suprised to see more Canon testing.
Mark's been clearing out a lot of gear, but I haven't seen anything on 16-9.net to indicate that he's selling/has sold it all yet. But perhaps I've missed something.
Jan

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2007, 11:23:44 pm »

I'm looking forward to the 1Ds MkIII for a lot of reasons already mentioned here, but after using my new Canon 40D for the past week, the larger LCD screen is on the top of my list.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You know, I just had to shoot with my D2x again for a images yesterday coming from months of shooting with the Mamiya ZD only (I hadn't touched the D2x for 3 months), and I re-discovered the value of a good screen.

No doubt that next gen cams like the 1ds3/d3 will offer yet another level of convenience and that really does affect one's shooting experience more than I remembered!

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up