Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5x4 view camera  (Read 9175 times)

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Canon 5x4 view camera
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:40:49 am »

I've put together an article about making an adapter ($20) to use a 1Ds with an MPP 5x4 monorail view camera, with some examples of its use.

The design could easily be changed to fit almost any LF camera or use any DSLR

What started as an experiment to 'see if it could be done' has actually taught me quite a bit more about using camera movements, and improved my day to day use of the Canon TS-E 24 and 90

www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/canon-view-camera.html

Hope you find it of interest -- it certainly draws a crowd in the street :-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

Sfleming

• http://
Canon 5x4 view camera
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 12:19:18 pm »

Thank you for a truly excellent article.  Not only interesting but put together so very very well.  I am quite impressed.   Don't think I'll run out and try it myself but now I know I certainly could if I wanted to given your excellent instructions.  %^))

I've put together an article about making an adapter ($20) to use a 1Ds with an MPP 5x4 monorail view camera, with some examples of its use.

The design could easily be changed to fit almost any LF camera or use any DSLR

What started as an experiment to 'see if it could be done' has actually taught me quite a bit more about using camera movements, and improved my day to day use of the Canon TS-E 24 and 90

www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/canon-view-camera.html

Hope you find it of interest -- it certainly draws a crowd in the street :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131321\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Canon 5x4 view camera
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 05:57:11 pm »

There is also this pre-built solution. What I don't like about the design is that is recesses the sensor deeper into a cavity.

This Canon-to-Sinar adapter looks to be a little more thorough, at a considerable price increase.

A few years ago, this system was available for a reasonable price. There is a review of it here. This system looks the best because it attaches a bellows directly to the camera body, placing the sensor closer to the lens' focal node. The downside is that it eliminates the Sinar offset swing-tilt calcluations.
~ CB

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
Canon 5x4 view camera
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 06:11:35 pm »

Thanks for that - I've been looking at building the 'Mk2' version of the adapter, since to be honest I wasn't too sure that the original would work as well as it did :-)

One problem with shorter lenses is that the 1Ds is effectively mounted at the end of a tube and in my version sets the sensor back some ~67mm. I'm looking at a different mounting plate design which minimises vignetting problems and still meets a $25 cost ceiling ;-)

The setting back of the sensor isn't really a problem for me, given the design of  the MPP rear standard. It's still an experiment after all :-)

If I wanted the functionality of a digital back on a 'proper' view camera I'd buy the kit, but I can't justify the company's money on that sort of kit given the sort of commercial work I do ...it would be nice to use, but I just don't _need_ it :-(

Keith

PS Thanks for all the mails with suggestions and comments for enhancements :-)
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

ronno

Canon 5x4 view camera
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:13:04 am »

Does anyone have portrait samples taken with these gizmos?
I'd be interested in buying one of you could get a look similar to Mike Disfarmer or Sarah Moon. Of course a lot of their looks have to do with the film itself, but those really old lenses can look beautiful...

Caracalla

• http://
Canon 5x4 view camera
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 02:38:43 am »

What about Canon+View Camera?

Regards

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Canon 5x4 view camera
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:13:19 pm »

I bought one of the Graflok backs from HK. I haven't used it for a commercial shoot on my Sinar yet, but if I need it , it's there.
A few years ago no one wanted digital, now they all want digital and don't want film.
I can't see the quality of a drum scanned 4x5 to be inferior to a DSLR but if that's what they want it's okay with me.
Nice article on making your own adapter BTW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up