Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online gallery  (Read 4042 times)

Khurram

Online gallery
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:07:26 pm »

I finally got around to setting up an online gallery of my work . I ended up just setting up a gallery in pbase as a first step, until i figure out how i want to organize things.

I've been sick with pneumunia for the past couple of weeks, which is why i probably got as much done as i did - otherwise, there is no way i could've spent that much time processing files instead of shooting.

It's still very much a work in progress, as i haven't posted anything yet from my three trips to the Tetons, or Yellowstone and there is very little of my work from the canadian rockies and or california trips.

Despite that i've shot film a lot more then digital, my landscape gallery has mainly digital work, as i no longer have a scanner. I found that i really, really hate scanning - which is what drove me to digital in the first place  

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on the organization as well as the number of images i've posted in each gallery, as the next step i want to take is setting up my own website.  However, i'd like to get some feedback on the organization, number of images and image sizes i've used first.

my gallery address is:
http://www.pbase.com/kssphotography
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:52:04 pm by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

LoisWakeman

Online gallery
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:23:51 pm »

All very logically arranged (which appeals to the scientist in me) - but would the average punter be bothered to click through so many categories?

Perhaps better to be able to choose (for example) straight from Landscape to a particular location, without going though the country/area first. Most people have a very short attention span or willingness to click a lot - so you need to capture their interest and give them what they want quickly.

Khurram

Online gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 03:08:48 pm »

All very logically arranged (which appeals to the scientist in me) - but would the average punter be bothered to click through so many categories?

Perhaps better to be able to choose (for example) straight from Landscape to a particular location, without going though the country/area first. Most people have a very short attention span or willingness to click a lot - so you need to capture their interest and give them what they want quickly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the feedback Lois.
----

Chris_T

Online gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:28:33 am »

Designing a good web gallery is far from simple. You may find the comments here helpful:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=13890

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on the organization as well as the number of images i've posted in each gallery, as the next step i want to take is setting up my own website.  However, i'd like to get some feedback on the organization, number of images and image sizes i've used first.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133006\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Khurram

Online gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 10:12:42 am »

Designing a good web gallery is far from simple. You may find the comments here helpful:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=13890
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133165\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the link Chris!
----

griffithimage

Online gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

Thanks for the link Chris!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One suggestion I would make is to remove the white boxes that surround the photos. Visually I find them distracting, the simpler it is, the cleaner and nicer it is.

francois

Online gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:00:02 pm »

One suggestion I would make is to remove the white boxes that surround the photos. Visually I find them distracting, the simpler it is, the cleaner and nicer it is.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I second the above comment regarding the white boxes... As for the numbers of categories, I feel that  it's mostly ok now but avoid going "deeper". For example, you could perhaps group your Canandian landscape photos on one level.

By the way, nice photos! Congrats

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:00:28 pm by francois »
Francois

Khurram

Online gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:39:48 pm »

I second the above comment regarding the white boxes... As for the numbers of categories, I feel that  it's mostly ok now but avoid going "deeper". For example, you could perhaps group your Canandian landscape photos on one level.

By the way, nice photos! Congrats

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133227\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the feedback.  I've changed the format template to Pbase's just black (rather then black and white).  However, this does change the rest of the text formatting.

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on which looks better.  The main gallery page and some of the landscape galleries have been changed to the "standard black" template.  But for now, the other galleries, still use the "black & white" template.
----

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Online gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:30:01 pm »

I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on the organization as well as the number of images i've posted in each gallery, as the next step i want to take is setting up my own website.  However, i'd like to get some feedback on the organization, number of images and image sizes i've used first.
If this is meant to be a portfolio, with the target audience being prospective customers, then you want to showcase only your best work and choose a selection of photos that will grab and keep the viewers attention. Some of the galleries need some editing, as you've posted way too many images in them. I'm speaking specifically of the southwest galleries (at least, the few I looked at).

I know it can be difficult to decided which images are best, but when you post multiple shots of the same scene that are almost the same, the images lose impact and people looking at the gallery will lose interest due to the repetition. In some of the galleries, it appeared that the exact same shot had been posted multiple times with differences only in sharpening.

A couple other things. The watermark is too intrusive; if you're that concerned about image theft post smaller images. I'd also recommend giving the images a title other than the file name. Even if the file name is descriptive, it would be better to use consistent capitalization and get rid of the file extension (ie "Peyto Lake Sunset" instead of "peyto lake sunset.jpg").

This might all seem like nitpicking, but IMHO it's the difference between a professional looking online gallery/portfolio versus a website of vacation snapshots. Note, when I say that I'm speaking strictly about presentation/organization, not the images themselves. Your photography is very good, you've got some really nice shot on there.

I should probably practice what I preach, as my pbase site is a mix of family snapshot galleries and more serious landscape galleries. I've been meaning to split the two into separate sites and do a re-org, but there never seems to be enough time....

Hopefully this is the kind of feedback you were looking for.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Khurram

Online gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 02:01:25 pm »

If this is meant to be a portfolio, with the target audience being prospective customers, then you want to showcase only your best work and choose a selection of photos that will grab and keep the viewers attention. Some of the galleries need some editing, as you've posted way too many images in them. I'm speaking specifically of the southwest galleries (at least, the few I looked at).

I know it can be difficult to decided which images are best, but when you post multiple shots of the same scene that are almost the same, the images lose impact and people looking at the gallery will lose interest due to the repetition. In some of the galleries, it appeared that the exact same shot had been posted multiple times with differences only in sharpening.

A couple other things. The watermark is too intrusive; if you're that concerned about image theft post smaller images. I'd also recommend giving the images a title other than the file name. Even if the file name is descriptive, it would be better to use consistent capitalization and get rid of the file extension (ie "Peyto Lake Sunset" instead of "peyto lake sunset.jpg").

This might all seem like nitpicking, but IMHO it's the difference between a professional looking online gallery/portfolio versus a website of vacation snapshots. Note, when I say that I'm speaking strictly about presentation/organization, not the images themselves. Your photography is very good, you've got some really nice shot on there.

I should probably practice what I preach, as my pbase site is a mix of family snapshot galleries and more serious landscape galleries. I've been meaning to split the two into separate sites and do a re-org, but there never seems to be enough time....

Hopefully this is the kind of feedback you were looking for.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Jeff,
I really appreciate the feedback. I always have a hard time trying to pick between photos, so, that is one thing i definately need to do a better job on.  

I actually wanted to rename my files as well, i'm just trying to think of a better way of renaming the files and still be able to reference them to my original raw files.  I wish there was a way you could keep the original file info in Pbase, but just rename the photo for presentation purposes.  Do you know if it is possible to change the display title, but still retain the file name for referencing purposes?

At this point, i'm still working on getting all of my galleries setup (i still have a lot to add for my Grand tetons, yellowstone, big sur and canadian rockies photos to the landscape galleries, and haven't really done much for my Cityscapes and wildlife galleries either.
----
Pages: [1]   Go Up