Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Which Tripod?

(1/3) > >>

GMiller64:
Hi,

I'm looking for advice as to which way to go. I need a new tripod and have settled on two paths. I like to do landscape/building and macro photography so I'm coming from that direction.

The first choice is a really expensive tripod that I can convert to shoot macro's close to the ground and would last me a lifetime. The other choice would be to buy two cheaper tripods one for close to the ground macro and one for everything else. This route might leave enough left over to buy a bigger bag as well but I would still have to replace these sooner or later.

Any advice as to which way you would go would be very helpfull.

George.

srpirolt:
Since no one answered this, I’ll go ahead and give you my recommendation...

Go for a good sturdy tripod right away, and skip the inexpensive models. ...as you said you will replace it anyway.  Plus, it will cost you a lot more money if your cheap tripod collapses or gets blown over by wind and breaks your camera and lens.

(I am assuming you are shooting with a 35mm digital body, or smaller)

I would get the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 Legs and the 804RC2 Head ($284 at BHPhoto.com).  This will give you your best bang for the buck.  Since you mentioned Macro, I would also get the short center column ($30 at Bhphoto.com) to get close to the ground.

I have been using my 3221 legs for many years without any regrets.

Enjoy!

René

pixelpro:

--- Quote ---Hi,

I'm looking for advice as to which way to go. I need a new tripod and have settled on two paths. I like to do landscape/building and macro photography so I'm coming from that direction.

The first choice is a really expensive tripod that I can convert to shoot macro's close to the ground and would last me a lifetime. The other choice would be to buy two cheaper tripods one for close to the ground macro and one for everything else. This route might leave enough left over to buy a bigger bag as well but I would still have to replace these sooner or later.

Any advice as to which way you would go would be very helpfull.

George.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Buy the best quality and heaviest tripod you can handle. Make sure the tripod has at least 3 spirit levels and that is very adjustable. The worst thing of all is to go out, spend a day walking and working to find your images are not sharp. The shutter going off and a breeze makes the camera shudder imperceptibly unless your camera is on a very sturdy tripod.

When I shoot I do three things :  1. use a tripod  2. raise the mirror manually to prevent camera movement while shooting 3. use a shutter release cable.

GMiller64:
THanks for the advice guys. I was actually looking at a Manfrotto 3021 with an 808RC4 head. I just didn't want the brand to effect any advice. I'm still leaning that way it would be the last tripod I would ever need.. I really didn't think about the weight of the tripod and the dampening effects, I would have never thought of that.

George.

srpirolt:
Those are great choices.  I like the Bogen/Manfrotto equipment since it is well priced, well designed, and can stand up to a lot of abuse.

The 808RC4 is a bit beefier than the 804RC2, whereas the 3021 are a bit lighter than the 3221 legs.  I use the 3221 and 808RC4 combination for shooting large format.

If you are shooting a smaller format, like a 35mm digital body, and not large or medium format, you may consider the smaller 804RC2 head.  The 808RC4 has a much larger plate and it may be uncomfortable when you handhold the camera.  Depending on your camera the plate will probably protrude both on back and front of the camera.

…but either choice will serve you well …and you WILL be glad you didn’t go for the cheap tripod.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version