Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Custom Gain File  (Read 4175 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Leaf Custom Gain File
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:26:52 pm »

Just wanted to say kudos to Leaf for the way their Custom Gain correction performs.

I've just been familiarizing myself with the process (finally) after shooting with
an aptus 22 on an ArcBody a couple of weeks ago.

As well as,obviously,working very well with the v11 RC,corrected RAW files are able to
be processed with Adobe Camera Raw with the color cast corrections applied.

As far as I can ascertain this is not possible with color cast corrected files from other backs
that one might wish to process outside of the native software

Can anyone comment as to whether the original Leaf Raw file is altered to achieve
this functionality or is a hidden sidecar file buried somewhere that ACR can access
to have access to the corrections?

MT

yaya

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:43:09 pm »

Just wanted to say kudos to Leaf for the way their Custom Gain correction performs.

I've just been familiarizing myself with the process (finally) after shooting with
an aptus 22 on an ArcBody a couple of weeks ago.

As well as,obviously,working very well with the v11 RC,corrected RAW files are able to

As far as I can ascertain this is not possible with color cast corrected files from other backs
Can anyone comment as to whether the original Leaf Raw file is altered to achieve
this functionality or is a hidden sidecar file buried somewhere that ACR can access
to have access to the corrections?

MT
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The pixel data is altered, same as when the moire filter in being applied. In a way this is similar to retouching a tranny.

Of course when using the CGA, one can keep the original for blending purposes.

Yair

mtomalty

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:34:40 pm »

Thanks Yair

MT

adammork

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 03:13:34 am »

MT,

You have probably also noticed that if the gain file are shot right after the "real" files without removing the back from the camera, then will the gain software spot the dust away automatically from the raw files - this is also a very nice time saving feature  

And if you have a centerfold problem with you back it removes that as well - and you can correct the light falloff from your wide angels from 0-100%, so I use only centre filter on my 24mm and 35mm.

Very best,
Adam

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 06:22:30 am »

Dear Mark,

FYI: this is possible also with Sinarback RAW files, converted and color cast corrected with the Brumbaer DNG Converter.

Best regards,
Thierry

MT
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

yaya

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 10:05:43 am »

Dear Mark,

FYI: this is possible also with Sinarback RAW files, converted and color cast corrected with the Brumbaer DNG Converter.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129276\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry can the corrected files be interactively viewed, edited and then processed in CaptureShop while tethered?
Can one see the files before/after in the same converter? With/ without the cast and falloff corrections?

thanks, yair

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 10:20:12 am »

Dear Yair,

I was speaking about the Brumbaer tools, which supports the Captureshop raw files! You can apply the white shading (custom gain file) or not, and they are applied automatically in a batch, the software recognizing and allocating the right white shading to the right file, tethered or not, like it allocates automatically and in a batch the black references.

Welcome,
Thierry

Thierry can the corrected files be interactively viewed, edited and then processed in CaptureShop while tethered?
Can one see the files before/after in the same converter? With/ without the cast and falloff corrections?

thanks, yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

yaya

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 10:37:59 am »

Dear Yair,

I was speaking about the Brumbaer tools, which supports the Captureshop raw files! You can apply the white shading (custom gain file) or not, and they are applied automatically in a batch, the software recognizing and allocating the right white shading to the right file, tethered or not, like it allocates automatically and in a batch the black references.

Welcome,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I admit it's been a while since I last used the Brumbaer tools, it is great that it does auto batch. But If I'm shooting tethered (or not) and I use the tools for the corrections, can I run it in the background and still see the corrected files in the same session? Will CS pick these files and refresh the preview or does the B. Tools show the previews before/ after?

mtomalty

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 05:07:29 pm »

You have probably also noticed that if the gain file are shot right after the "real" files without removing the back from the camera, then will the gain software spot the dust away automatically from the raw files

I did notice this but I also noticed some funky looking 'ghost dust' when using a gain file
from a different set of images where,by removing the back,I had introduced a different
set of dust which the software tried to remove from a raw file that had no dust in the
corresponding co-ordinates  :>))

MT

pixjohn

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 12:33:26 am »

Since I asked on the Leaf forum with no response, I will ask the same question here as I have been asking for months with no response?

Will the final version of LC 11 have the gain utility built in?

It's a great utility to use, but the workflow is very poorly thought out.  if you want to see your corrected images tethered you have to create a Gain file in V8 shooting 8 files, disconnect then connect with 10 or 11.

The newest problem with this workflow can also be seen here with no correction by Leaf yet?

Magenta with Gain utility

Shachar

• http://
Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 02:43:56 pm »

Hi John,

We do plan to add the user gain functionality and the custom gain adjuster to the final release of LC11.

Regards,

Shachar Kedem
Leaf
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:45:13 pm by Shachar »

pixjohn

Leaf Custom Gain File
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 04:14:39 pm »

Any idea on a release date? how is the fix going for the 24mm xl lens with the gain utility? Once you have a easy fix for centerfold and lens falloff, you will have one of the best backs for shooting architecture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up