Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR  (Read 2250 times)

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
HDR
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:32:30 am »

Are there any more options to consider beyond CS3 or Photomatix for HDR images?

I haven't invested masses of time in this direction but I wondered if there are other options worth considering?  The problems I have experienced to date are

1. Merging shots including one or two people in the distance in interior shots.
2. Movement of camera between shots. (CamboWDS)
3. Tree movement and similar.

Steve Townsend

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
HDR
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:13:05 am »

Are there any more options to consider beyond CS3 or Photomatix for HDR images?

I haven't invested masses of time in this direction but I wondered if there are other options worth considering?  The problems I have experienced to date are

1. Merging shots including one or two people in the distance in interior shots.
2. Movement of camera between shots. (CamboWDS)
3. Tree movement and similar.

Steve Townsend
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have not tried CS3 for HDR. Nice thing about Photomatix is that you can develop a single raw with different exposure settings to generate a HDR, which CS2 (have not tried HDR in CS3 yet) is unable to. This works very well in Photomatix and prevents all the stuff with movement which you have when making more than 1 exposure.

BTW, it is not the HDR that is making the difference but the tone-mapping you have to do to get the part that would have dropped off at either side of the scale back into the visible realm. Photomatix makes a bit more extreme HDR images.

If you have to do more than one exposure, you have to be extremely meticulous in doing so, even than the tree movement, etc.. will generate softness.

This is my experience but I don't make a lot of HDR images anymore most of the time I have enough information in 1 exposure. In extreme situations I take some more to expose for specific parts and in most cases I blend them in by hand with masking (PS).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:15:05 am by Dustbak »

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
HDR
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:42:23 am »

I use both Photomatix and CS3 for HDR images.  There is a Photomatix plug-in for CS3 and I usually use the plug-in for tone mapping.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up