Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Sharing and Print Services  (Read 2091 times)

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Photo Sharing and Print Services
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:19:32 am »

For several years I used ClubPhoto to post family albums and allow others to purchase prints.  ClubPhoto was especially handy to post events such as a family reunion.   Alas, I just learned that ClubPhoto is no more.

Any recommendations for a similar service?  I'd like to be able to exercise a bit of control over what is shown -- password protection, etc.  I'm not interested in making a profit (from this service, anyway!).  I'd like to be able to make an album, say from my mother's birthday, and allow other family members to be able to select and purchase prints, T shirts, mugs, etc.  I'd like to be able to reference images from the new site to Luminous Landscape and other sites.  A 'personal website' would be a nice feature.

I've seen a good review for "dotPhoto".  Any other recommendations?  This does not have to be a free service.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:22:56 am »

Gordon,

I'm using Smugmug.com. $40 a year and personalization features. Check it out and see if it fits you, they have a trial period.

Works well for me. The link to my page is below.

Rich

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:37:54 pm »

Thanks, Rich.  Looks like Smugmug is more like what I had in mind.  I almost subscribed to dotPhoto without testing it but fortunately tried the trial version first.  

With dotPhoto, there does not appear to be a way to list private albums and require a password or to have separate passwords for individual albums.  Perhaps I just didn't catch on.  Also with dotPhoto, it seems that the only way to notify family members about an album is to send them a dotPhoto email -- meaning that one is required to use the dotPhoto email service.  I just want to send people an email from my normal, person account and give them a link such as you gave me.

I'm going to review Smugmug FAQ, etc a bit more but it looks much better than I expected.  Somehow, I had the wrong impression about Smugmug.

Have you been satisfied with service and qualify of snapshot prints?
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 05:36:41 pm »

Hi Gordon,

I haven't used any of their print services, so I can't comment.

The couple of times I had questions I couldn't find in their FAQ, an email to their support brought an answer within a couple of hours.

I think it will serve your purposes very well.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up