Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 1.1 wont print proof sheets  (Read 2614 times)

flash

LR 1.1 wont print proof sheets
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:26:05 am »

1.1 is generally working well for me. far better than 1.0. However I am having problems printing proof sheets.

Single images and single pages with 2-4 images print fine, so it's not the printer or settings. But I regularly need to print hundreds (even thousands) of images on proof sheets. Currently I am trying to print 1500 images with 30 thumbs per page. Lightroom goes through the whole process, spools out to the printer (which takes hours) and then the print spooler acts like it has printed the pages but... nothing. It works occasionally but not always.

This behaviour did not happen with 1.0. I am using an AMD dual core laptop with Vista ultimate and 2 GB of ram. All other lightroom functions are fine.

I would love any ideas to fix this.

Gordon

gdstaples

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:45:18 am »

1.1 is generally working well for me. far better than 1.0. However I am having problems printing proof sheets.

Single images and single pages with 2-4 images print fine, so it's not the printer or settings. But I regularly need to print hundreds (even thousands) of images on proof sheets. Currently I am trying to print 1500 images with 30 thumbs per page. Lightroom goes through the whole process, spools out to the printer (which takes hours) and then the print spooler acts like it has printed the pages but... nothing. It works occasionally but not always.

This behaviour did not happen with 1.0. I am using an AMD dual core laptop with Vista ultimate and 2 GB of ram. All other lightroom functions are fine.

I would love any ideas to fix this.

Gordon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131906\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Qimage is a better tool for this specific need.  Very fast, not a resource hog and will handle most file types.

Regards,
Duncan Staples
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 04:46:10 am by gdstaples »

flash

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 09:21:38 pm »

Qimage is a better tool for this specific need.  Very fast, not a resource hog and will handle most file types.

Regards,
Duncan Staples
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Duncan.

I'm aware of (or already own) a few programs that can do this but I am trying to utilise Lightroom as much as possible to avoid doubling up. There are plenty of tools that can perform the functions of Lightroom (in some cases much better). I have always been able to do everything I can do in Lightroom with other programs and I have bought almost every Raw converter available. The reason I am using Lightroom is that it (after some modification to my workflow) has enabled me to be far more efficient (and efficiency counts when you process 1000+ images a week) while maintaining an acceptably high output quality. Bouncing from program to program reduces that efficiency and as good as they may be this adds hours to my workflow.

I have found a good workaround anyway. I am using a PDF printer engine to make a .PDF file of the proof sheets in lightroom. This then prints easily. I am fairly sure that the print driver (an HP laser for the proof sheets) can't handle the file sizes generated for a 50 sheet document and just gives up. The PDF I am creating is about 50MB and prints easily. I now have the advantage that I can give clients a copy of the proofs as a PDF on disc. So its all worked out for the best.

Now I just need to sort out the print colours in 1.1 (again 1.0 was fine. It looks as if 1.1 is sending an Adobe RGB file to my SRGB printer) and I'm good to go. I do wish Adobe could have avoided creating new issues in 1.1 while removing the one's in 1.0.

Gordon
Pages: [1]   Go Up