Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage - Corrupt Thumbnails  (Read 3053 times)

Recked

Qimage - Corrupt Thumbnails
« on: July 12, 2007, 11:22:41 am »

Hello,

While I patiently wait for my Z3100 to be supported by Imageprint I was attempting this past weekend to use the trial verison of Qimage to print some stuff, but noticed that a number of the thumbnails that were generated when I brought photos into Qimage were corrupt showing black lines of varying thickness through the image running horizontally.

Are there any Qimage users out there who have some clue as to what is going on?

thank you

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:28:17 pm »

Hello,

While I patiently wait for my Z3100 to be supported by Imageprint I was attempting this past weekend to use the trial verison of Qimage to print some stuff, but noticed that a number of the thumbnails that were generated when I brought photos into Qimage were corrupt showing black lines of varying thickness through the image running horizontally.

Are there any Qimage users out there who have some clue as to what is going on?

thank you
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127818\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like a byte order choice that's available in Photoshop for TIFFs.  By any chance were the funky thumbnails TIFFs?
Regards,
Ron

Recked

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:32:02 pm »

Hello,

Yes the thumbs are of tiffs that were worked in both Lightroom and CS3.

thanks

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:54:28 pm »

That's what I thought.  Sometimes PS defaults to a byte order that's arcane and isn't supported by Qimage.  The bad thing with PS is that its very difficult (impossible?) to change that setting once its been set without doing a "Save As" and being more alert with the new filename.
Regards,
Ron

Recked

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:08:37 pm »

Hi,

First appreciate the help on this.

I am a bit lost with regards to byte order. Where exactly does one set this in CS3?

thanks again

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:49:59 pm »

Hi,

First appreciate the help on this.

I am a bit lost with regards to byte order. Where exactly does one set this in CS3?

thanks again
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127853\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello,

First, I apologize, I wasn't at my machine with PS and was operating from my faulty memory.  The offending setting is Pixel Order not Byte Order.

When you do a "Save As" in Photoshop CS3 and you choose TIFF you're presented a "Tiff Options" window.  You set byte order according to whether or not you have a PC or a Mac.

"Pixel Order" options are "Interleaved (RGBRGB)" or "Per Channel (RRGGBB)".  Qimage only reads "Interleaved".

Oh yeah, and for whatever reason Adobe chose to have Lightroom save TIFFs in "Per Channel" and not offer the option to change to "Interleaved".
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:02:55 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Recked

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:53 am »

Hey,

No apology necessary. Appreciate your help and thanks very much for the detailed explanation.

have a good weekend

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:41:08 am »

The hard drive in my Photoshop computer croaked so I'm in the process of rebuilding it and don't have access to CS3 and Lightroom right now.

Anyway, you may want to check on Lightroom 1.1.   I've been told that it now saves TIFFs in "interleaved" pixel order.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up