Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Path to Large B&W Prints?  (Read 3044 times)

Roscolo

Best Path to Large B&W Prints?
« on: August 06, 2007, 01:44:41 am »

Over the years, the primary medium for my artwork has been 4x5 B&W processed / printed in my darkroom to sizes of 11x14 to 20x24. Most of my work would probably fall into the Landscape category, but I frequently shoot people usually in their environment.

Up until last year, most of my commercial projects were shot on medium format and 4x5 film and then scanned with a Polaroid 45 Ultra scanner.

I recently purchased a 44" HP z3100 printer.

Question: For large B&W prints (32"x44") what is my best path? I had planned on continuing to shoot, process and scan B&W film, but I like the controls I have over B&W if I start with a RGB file. My limitation is that my highest res digital camera is 8mp. I'm going to try some different methods of upsizing my digital files, but 32x44 may be asking too much.

Should I stick with the B&W film? Or just shoot 4x5 and 2 1/4 chrome and scan? I've looked into the digital back options (phase-one), and I'm not ready to fork out $20K-$30K. The betterlight scanning backs look appealing, but still a little much considering the limitations (no movement in subject = no shots of people). Any other options or ideas?

There's definitely a niche here for an affordable, portable hi-res solution as large format users move to digital. Maybe something exists I don't know about.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:51:46 am »

Over the years, the primary medium for my artwork has been 4x5 B&W processed / printed in my darkroom to sizes of 11x14 to 20x24. Most of my work would probably fall into the Landscape category, but I frequently shoot people usually in their environment.

Up until last year, most of my commercial projects were shot on medium format and 4x5 film and then scanned with a Polaroid 45 Ultra scanner.

I recently purchased a 44" HP z3100 printer.

Question: For large B&W prints (32"x44") what is my best path? I had planned on continuing to shoot, process and scan B&W film, but I like the controls I have over B&W if I start with a RGB file. My limitation is that my highest res digital camera is 8mp. I'm going to try some different methods of upsizing my digital files, but 32x44 may be asking too much.

Should I stick with the B&W film? Or just shoot 4x5 and 2 1/4 chrome and scan? I've looked into the digital back options (phase-one), and I'm not ready to fork out $20K-$30K. The betterlight scanning backs look appealing, but still a little much considering the limitations (no movement in subject = no shots of people). Any other options or ideas?

There's definitely a niche here for an affordable, portable hi-res solution as large format users move to digital. Maybe something exists I don't know about.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Scanning film will be your most economical approach to creating digital files large enough to print 32x44". If you're patient, you can get a feel for what digital capture can accomplish by stitching together multiple frames from your 8 mp camera. If you stack two rows of vertical (portrait) format captures, you will easily reach the required resolution.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:56:41 am »

For the last 6-years, all my B&W has started with color files (in my case, all shot digitally). The advantage is that you have greater control over contrast/color relationships when you start with color. For example, shooting in B&W, you are limited to only the B&W rendering of the film, or if used, the rendering produced using, say, an orange or green filter. Once exposed, you can't make a change.

I use a great pluggin from The Imaging Factory called, "Convert to B&W". Not only does it allow you to make your filtering decision in post-capture, but also has simulations for different film types such as Ilford FP4 and Kodak Tri-X. Additionally, you can adjust contrast (simulating darkroom contrast filters) as well adjust the relationship of highlights and shadows.

With all these adjustments at my fingertips, it's made easier work of the conversion process. Many times I've worked on separate areas of an image, applying different color filters to adjust contrast relationships.

Personally, I'd switch to digital, because of the immediate gratification as well as removal of the processing step. I've taken 1Ds2 files up to 24x36 with superb result.

Geoffrey

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:56:12 pm »

Of course, the most economical is to take MF shots on BW film, and get a great scanner. I've had good luck with Imacons, as they give great results, and dust is less of an issue without the glass holders (they have a special SS holder).

But this takes time, and is good for a shot at a time, and scanning maybe 4-8 at a time.... if you have the patience - you can get great results.

Another way is to get a good digital solution - and go from there. At the risk of seeming a bit off the wall, the Leica M8 has a unique capability to "draw" well, looking more like MF film than a digital camera. I've had good luck with JPG's from it in BW up to 11x14, and then go to RAW files for larger prints. Just amazing quality - ignore what you hear or read, and just take one for a test. The BW subtlety of the camera, lens, and back are just special.

Food for thought.

[attachment=2974:attachment][attachment=2976:attachment]
Pages: [1]   Go Up