Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 with on board PostScript  (Read 4654 times)

Osequis

z3100 with on board PostScript
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:21:49 pm »

Hi, I believe this printer will fit my needs (fine art printing and offset proofing) but want to hear some feedback from users about...

- RIP features?
- How fast it is?
- Can you print from any application?
- Performance of the on board RIP vs 3rd party software RIPs?
- Availability? seems is in backorder every site I checked

I already know this qualifies for the polemic HP rebate (extended until July), and it cost almost $100 more than the "nomal" z3100.

Thanks in advance

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:55:34 am »

Hi, I believe this printer will fit my needs (fine art printing and offset proofing) but want to hear some feedback from users about...

- RIP features?
- How fast it is?
- Can you print from any application?
- Performance of the on board RIP vs 3rd party software RIPs?
- Availability? seems is in backorder every site I checked

I already know this qualifies for the polemic HP rebate (extended until July), and it cost almost $100 more than the "nomal" z3100.

Thanks in advance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119065\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As for availability, I don't believe any retailers have taken delivery of the PostScript version printers yet. Mine was ordered from Provantage and they gave me a delivery date of the first week in June.  However, some beta testers have already received ps models for testing.

From what I've read, for offset proofing you'll have CMYK and Pantone matching capability.

And as far as I have been able to determine, the Z3100ps will be able to use the full capabilities of Adobe InDesign and PDF print functions, as well as maintaining PostScript functions in Photoshop.  

Regarding speed, you'll need a Gigabit network port and a couple Gig of RAM to realize the Z's potential.

DC

Osequis

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 03:42:04 am »

Thanks dct123 for the info, seems the PostScript z3100 is a very capable machine, sadly not much info is available yet, HP brochures are basically the same for all the z3100 models...

I just realized that Neil Snape has the PS version, the model is displayed in the screen shots he posted in his review, hope he can read this post and give some details about this specific model.

Having the PS integrated in the printer have advantages like not dealing with 3rd party RIP software but could be outdated eventually, and on the other hand having a software RIP you could tweak a lot more but could be difficult to setup.

Anyway is great to have options.

u1022186

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:24:23 pm »

As for availability, I don't believe any retailers have taken delivery of the PostScript version printers yet. Mine was ordered from Provantage and they gave me a delivery date of the first week in June.  However, some beta testers have already received ps models for testing.

From what I've read, for offset proofing you'll have CMYK and Pantone matching capability.

And as far as I have been able to determine, the Z3100ps will be able to use the full capabilities of Adobe InDesign and PDF print functions, as well as maintaining PostScript functions in Photoshop. 

Regarding speed, you'll need a Gigabit network port and a couple Gig of RAM to realize the Z's potential.

DC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119191\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had originally ordered from Provantage as well.  But they have raised their price t0 4957.24 plus shipping and it seems they won't be honoring their original lower price. They didn't notify me but when I called to verify my original order, the customer service rep said that they probably will notify me of the change in price before they ship so that I can decide if the difference is OK (it's not). Was wondering if you heard anything from Provantage?

R.Simon

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:10:51 pm »

I had originally ordered from Provantage as well.  But they have raised their price t0 4957.24 plus shipping and it seems they won't be honoring their original lower price. They didn't notify me but when I called to verify my original order, the customer service rep said that they probably will notify me of the change in price before they ship so that I can decide if the difference is OK (it's not). Was wondering if you heard anything from Provantage?

R.Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119410\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just curious, what part of the world do you live in?

Here in Canada, you can get a 44" Z3100PS GP for a little over $8000, buy a 24" vinyl cutter on Ebay for $550 and trade that in (hp.ca, click on rebate offers at the bottom of the page) and get a $3000 rebate check from HP bringing your net cost down to about $5600 or so.

u1022186

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 04:41:39 am »

Just curious, what part of the world do you live in?

Here in Canada, you can get a 44" Z3100PS GP for a little over $8000, buy a 24" vinyl cutter on Ebay for $550 and trade that in (hp.ca, click on rebate offers at the bottom of the page) and get a $3000 rebate check from HP bringing your net cost down to about $5600 or so.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I live in New Jersey, USA. The price was for the 24" model before rebate which is $1000 plus $300 in media.  I already have a printer to qualify for the rebate.

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 12:24:26 pm »

I had originally ordered from Provantage as well.  But they have raised their price t0 4957.24 plus shipping and it seems they won't be honoring their original lower price. They didn't notify me but when I called to verify my original order, the customer service rep said that they probably will notify me of the change in price before they ship so that I can decide if the difference is OK (it's not). Was wondering if you heard anything from Provantage?

R.Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119410\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Call Marie at Provantage (1-800-336-4466 Ext. 120) and discuss this with her.

DC

Arhaeus

• http://
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:24:52 am »

Did anybody received his Z3100 PS?
We ordered one in 25 April and the dealer did not know even an approximate delivery date (We are a small print-shop in Romania).

Arhaeus

• http://
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:08:55 am »

We spoke with the HP representative here in Romania yesterday, and they said that Z3100 PS is available for distribution from 12 June 2007. The delay was caused by a final tuning on the embedded postscript chip and the monitor-printer calibration devices. So the first units will come around 25 June probably…

Jon Abbott

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:43:58 pm »

I received a Z3100ps GP 44" on June 1st. I ordered it directly from HP in April, but they subsequently informed me they were still working on the software, and it would not be shipped until... ship date posponed twice. Since I already have a 3rd party rip (Wasatch) that supports it, and separate profiling software and equipment (GM ProfilerPro, iccolor 210, eye-one, etc) I asked HP if they would send it out now and let me update the software/firmware with patchs later. I expect optimum profiling and printer drivers for 12 colors to be a work in progress for some time. I remember the major improvements in profling GretagMacbeth has made in software from version to version. GM/Xrite/HP seems like a great team, and I trust them to fully develope the advanced software.

I did have an interesting experience with delivery. The first day of scheduled delivery it did not arrive. The next morning a UPS supervisor called me and said "What am I supposed to do with this? We had 3 supervisors unsuccessfully try to lift it into the truck. Do you have a pallet jack?" That got my adrenaline pumping. We are on the top floor of a loft building with a small elevator. Our Epsons had to come up the elevator "on end". Just what I need, a monster printer on the street we can't move or get into the lobby, let alone up the elevator. Apparently UPS send it out via the wrong division, not the one for really large items! Two UPS supervisors arrived with the printer upside down and the pallet on top, and the end of the box crushed. But they were great guys; they helped us get it in the lobby and on end in the elevator. It really was no more of a problem to receive than our previous Epsons once the wooden pallet was off. And it was factory foam packed really well; there was no damage to the machine at all, just some crushed packaging of the accessories. Kudos to HP and UPS for great packaging and delivery service.

It is assembled and connected, but I haven't had time to install the inks yet.

This is my first post; I'm really glad to have this great forum. Thank you Luminous Landscape and Mr. Reichmann.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 07:40:36 pm »

Two UPS supervisors arrived with the printer upside down and the pallet on top, and the end of the box crushed.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Perhaps UPS thought that the wooden pallet was to protect the printer from being crushed by falling objects!   As a rule, guys:  wood side toward the ground.

Quite a testament to the packaging that it could withstand such abuse.  

Please keep us updated on your progress.  I'm right behind you in ordering mine, and would love to hear as much as possible about the printer and especially the Postscript software option.  What is the most recent guess about the software availability from HP?

-Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Jon Abbott

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 02:20:42 am »

I just installed the networking software this evening, it went very smoothly. HP really has a nice install routine. Put in the disk, pick your conection mode, USB or ethernet, and sit back while it installs everything and checks for updates. Very slick and easy. The software version dates are all April 19 and 20, so I expect there will be a newer patch out sometime this month from the emails I got from HP sales. But sales may not be too reliable a source for dates about upcoming technical patches. The software can be set to check HPs website for updates as often as you like, or not at all; and to auto install, or only download, or only notifiy. Much like one sets preferences for patches for Windows XP or Vista. One less thing to keep track of manually, so I think it's a nice convenience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up