Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MACBook Pro as a DTR?  (Read 2010 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
MACBook Pro as a DTR?
« on: June 03, 2007, 01:45:24 pm »

Since the new chips in the MAcBook pro have become so powerful and you can have lots of ram added, I am considering using one to rplace my old Desktop.  I am polling others who have made such a move whether they are happy having done so.  I would attach my laptop to a Apple monitor that can be calibrated via the DVI output for critical color work.

IS there enough power to work on Photos, enlarge to 20x30 sizes, and print them from such a setup?

Comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
MACBook Pro as a DTR?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:43:32 pm »

IS there enough power to work on Photos, enlarge to 20x30 sizes, and print them from such a setup?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes...but at a cost. Everything in a MacBook Pro is sized & scaled for mobility and that effects both the relative cost (mobility based components are more expensive and less powerful because of power consumption and size/weight issues). So, while it's amazing how fast new PowerBooks are it's arguably a more expensive solution with less back for your buck.

Compare the specs for the lowest Dual-Core tower to the specs of the MacBook Pro and there is a vast difference in capability & scalability.

It all depends on what you want, what you are willing to accept and what you are willing to pay for.

Doesn't eveything?

:~)

Roy

• http://
MACBook Pro as a DTR?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

Since the new chips in the MAcBook pro have become so powerful and you can have lots of ram added, I am considering using one to rplace my old Desktop.  I am polling others who have made such a move whether they are happy having done so.
MDIJB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's an impossible question to answer without knowing far more about your needs. It is a question only you can answer.

Factors you might consider:

- need for portability
- need for external storage
- need for speed
- need for memory
- need for configuration flexibility
- will one monitor do or do you need two?
- budget
- work volume

A quad-core Mac Pro with several internal drives and say 8GB of memory and two 23" Apple displays will run rings around a MacBook Pro with an attached display, not only in speed, but also in convenience and flexibility. But,  does that suit your needs, budget, workload and lifestyle?

By circumstance more than choice, I tried a MacBook Pro as my only computer and it didn't meet my needs. A serious Mac Pro and a small portable (13" MacBook) are ideal for me.

But your needs are not the same as mine.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up