Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest in October/November or January?  (Read 2690 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Southwest in October/November or January?
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:06:31 am »

I am in the initial stages of planning a 4-week trip to Zion, Antelope Canyone, possibly Escalante, Death Valley, and the California coast from Point Reyes to Big Sur. Since I want to be home for  Thanksgiving and the Christmas holiday period, I need to go before, or after. Going before, would have me leaving mid October, and returning mid November. The other possibility is to leave the first part of January.

I understand that shooting in Death Valley is best during November or December. So I have to go before, or after that "ideal" time window. But, I want to be able to be able to drive most anywhere, and I'm concerned that high elevation roads might be closed in January. But, there would be FAR LESS people in January.

I want to allow time for each area. Do you think that I'm trying to cover too much territory in 4 weeks?

I've bought a bunch of hiking and photo books for shooting in the Southwest, so I'm covered in that regard. I just need to start reading them now.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

(Mr.) Jan bell

www.bellimages.com
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Hank

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 10:48:02 am »

I've spent a lot of time in those desert regions during both time periods.  October/November is definitely my prefered period.  Lots of fall color with fewer driving hazards when passing through the high country in intervening areas.  Also much more comfortable camping if that's your intent.  As long as your contemplating Escalante, I'd keep going north into Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, Arches and Canyonlands.  Four weeks is neither too long nor too short for the desert without the California coast.  In fact, it's about the same time span I devote.  I doubt it's too short, even including CA.  While in the vicinity I would certainly add Yosemite.  Oct/Nov may not have the high water there, but it certainly has fall colors and a lot fewer people than spring.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 02:19:53 pm »

I've spent a lot of time in those desert regions during both time periods.  October/November is definitely my prefered period.  Lots of fall color with fewer driving hazards when passing through the high country in intervening areas.  Also much more comfortable camping if that's your intent.  As long as your contemplating Escalante, I'd keep going north into Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, Arches and Canyonlands.  Four weeks is neither too long nor too short for the desert without the California coast.  In fact, it's about the same time span I devote.  I doubt it's too short, even including CA.  While in the vicinity I would certainly add Yosemite.  Oct/Nov may not have the high water there, but it certainly has fall colors and a lot fewer people than spring.

Thanks Hank. I've been to Yosemite for the past 3 years. In fact, I did a week long workshop at the Ansel Adams Center last summer (taught by Charlie Cramer). It was great. So I won't be going there. I want to concentrate on the other areas. How far is the drive from Zion to the places that you mentioned (Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, Arches and Canyonlands)?

I have to say, that the best shots that I've seen of distant mountain ranges have snow in them. Otherwise,  they seem like mountain photos that I've seen a million times.

What could I expect if I travel in January in these areas? Will there be snow? I know that I won't be able to make it up to the bristlecone pines in January.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:20:22 pm by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Hank

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 04:17:39 pm »

If you drive up I-15 and across on I-70, it's about 6 hours between Zion and Moab.  If you go "the back way" on Hwy-12/Hwy-24/Hwy-95/Hwy-163  via Escalante, then Capitol Reef, etc it's longer actual driving time due to the small roads, but lots more photo stops along the way.  I use the snowcapped mountains for striking backgrounds to my shots in Canyonlands and Arches.

As for driving, the worst in January might be between Bryce and Escalante, though you can get into icy roads on I-70 east of Richfield.  Conditions will almost certainly be better in November.
Pages: [1]   Go Up