Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutter delay on Canon 5D  (Read 9087 times)

Lilly

Shutter delay on Canon 5D
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:36:35 pm »

Hi, can anyone shed some light on how to delay the shutter on the 5D (not using self timer) just for 2 seconds?     thanks

shoshone

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:09:15 am »

Hi, can anyone shed some light on how to delay the shutter on the 5D (not using self timer) just for 2 seconds?     thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lilly, I have not been able to find such a function either. It would be good to be able to customize the self timer down to 1-2 secs but can't see how to do that either  

Jamie

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:26:17 pm »

yes...

although the only way I know does involve the self timer.

- set Mirror Lockup to enabled and set the drive function to self timer.

Stephen
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:27:21 pm by Stephen Starkman »

picnic

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 12:29:50 pm »

Hi, can anyone shed some light on how to delay the shutter on the 5D (not using self timer) just for 2 seconds?     thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm guessing you mean that you want to set the shutter to 2 seconds.  Just put it in M mode and set it for 2 seconds--you will need to set the aperture, ISO to deal with a 2 second shutter speed.

Now--if you mean that you don't want the camera to take the picture at whatever settings you have for 2 seconds--you will have to settle for 10 seconds or whatever it is for timed.  They are 2 different things and I'm not understanding exactly what you mean--as to why you would only want to delay it for 2 seconds--that's a very short period of time.  AFAIK--for timing, there is only the 10 second time---but you can set the shutter speed--which 'delays' the shutter for 2 seconds if you see it that way---in M or Tv.

Diane

picnic

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:32:13 pm »

yes...

although the only way I know does involve the self timer.

- set Mirror Lockup to enabled and set the drive function to self timer.

Stephen
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah, yes, forgot about ML---you will find that in C. Fn #12.

Diane
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:34:22 pm by picnic »

shoshone

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 04:52:08 pm »

I'm guessing you mean that you want to set the shutter to 2 seconds.  Just put it in M mode and set it for 2 seconds--you will need to set the aperture, ISO to deal with a 2 second shutter speed.

Now--if you mean that you don't want the camera to take the picture at whatever settings you have for 2 seconds--you will have to settle for 10 seconds or whatever it is for timed.  They are 2 different things and I'm not understanding exactly what you mean--as to why you would only want to delay it for 2 seconds--that's a very short period of time.  AFAIK--for timing, there is only the 10 second time---but you can set the shutter speed--which 'delays' the shutter for 2 seconds if you see it that way---in M or Tv.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry if this is usurping or at a tangent to Lilly's thread. I read it as delaying the shot rather than exposing for 2 seconds. My requirement was just to be hands off the camera to minimize shake but not to let the subject 'get away'. However I guess I should buy a remote for that purpose.

Jamie

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 06:42:31 pm »

I have been very succesful using the mirror lockup w/self timer mode approach.

When you press the shutter release the mirror locks up and the timer counts down 2 seconds before exposure.

When I'm on a landscape shoot I often program the C mode on the 5D with these settings, so it's quick and easy to throw the camera on a tripod, switch to C and be set to shoot with mirror lockup and 2sec delay. Pull the camera off the tripod and then switch to the exposure mode of your choice (P, Av, Tv, Man etc) for handheld use - without mirror lockup or self timer. Very handy.

S

Lilly

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:27:27 pm »

Sorry if this is usurping or at a tangent to Lilly's thread. I read it as delaying the shot rather than exposing for 2 seconds. My requirement was just to be hands off the camera to minimize shake but not to let the subject 'get away'. However I guess I should buy a remote for that purpose.

Jamie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is exactly what i meant sorry for the confusion in my wording!! i just want to minimize shake without having to use a remote. i know the 1Ds Mark II does it (of course)! i tried the Custom fnct with the self timer and while it is a good method it is still a little long. It would be good to be able to set it to 2 seconds.oh well ill have to wait till i can get a 1Ds!!! Thanks everyone
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:33:29 pm by Lilly »

shoshone

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:57:12 am »

I have been very succesful using the mirror lockup w/self timer mode approach.

When you press the shutter release the mirror locks up and the timer counts down 2 seconds before exposure.

When I'm on a landscape shoot I often program the C mode on the 5D with these settings, so it's quick and easy to throw the camera on a tripod, switch to C and be set to shoot with mirror lockup and 2sec delay. Pull the camera off the tripod and then switch to the exposure mode of your choice (P, Av, Tv, Man etc) for handheld use - without mirror lockup or self timer. Very handy.

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Stephen, This has helped me a lot. Many thanks

Jamie

picnic

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

That is exactly what i meant sorry for the confusion in my wording!! i just want to minimize shake without having to use a remote. i know the 1Ds Mark II does it (of course)! i tried the Custom fnct with the self timer and while it is a good method it is still a little long. It would be good to be able to set it to 2 seconds.oh well ill have to wait till i can get a 1Ds!!! Thanks everyone
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lily, no you won't.  Use Stephen's method with the C.Fn. for mirror lockup ((C. Fn. 12) along with the timer and it will give you 2 seconds instead of 10.  YOu can then set it as a custom setting---see page 148 to use the C mode.

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up