Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 20D Flash Card Problems  (Read 2109 times)

FossilPeddler

Canon 20D Flash Card Problems
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:42:22 pm »

I have had a Canon 20D for about 18 months.  It was a gift, and it came with a 2G Lexar flash card.  I used to delete files from it with ACDSee software after I downloaded the images, but a pro told me to download, backup, and reformat the card in the camera.  I have been doing so for almost a year.   Always worked fine.

Late in March in the middle of shooting,  the camera stopped working, and the display showed an error message, I don't recall which, but I think it was Error 02 which is a corrupt card.

I was able to download the images on the card to my computer, reformat the card in the camera and use the card again as before.  Then last week, while shooting, the same thing happened.  Again I was able to get the images to my computer, reformat and use again.

This time I figured I should look into getting a new card, so I went to an excellent shop here in Minneapolis, National Camera Exchange.  When I tried new cards, the camera simply would not read them.  Nor could I format a new card in the camera.  It still reads the original Lexar, but not the new ones, and I tried three different cards they had in the store.  They recommended I update the camera's software, and thought it might solve the problem, otherwise I might need to send it in.  I bought a new card anyway, a ScanDisk Extreme III 2.0 GB, thinking I would use it once I solved the problem.

I was just looking throught the 20D manual again and I saw a note about removing and reinserting the battery.  So I turned off the camera, removed the battery, put the new ScanDisk card in, turned on the camera, and it worked!  I took a picture and was able to preview it on the screen, etc.  However, tried to look at the image again and the red light stayed on for maybe 7 seconds and would not pull up the image, then it did but it was very small, with the message "image corrupted" underneath.

I went to format and it immediately turned off.  So now it is back to not recognizing the new card, and if I turn it on, it says "Error CF".

I put the old card in, and it works again... but for how long?

Any suggestions on either how to fix the problem, where to look, or where to call?  Is updating the camera's software a good idea?  

Thanks in advance.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:50:12 pm »

I could be wrong but I thought one updated the software by putting it on a cf card and stuffing that into the camera.  If your camera cannot read the CF card in the first place that might be an issue.

And if you're shopping in MPLS you should try west photo.  Still expensive compared to mail order but not like national.

Alaska

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:37:07 am »

On the off hand chance you could try to reformat the card by using your computer and not the camera.  That should remove any old data that may be causing the issue.  Then if the camera reads that card you can then just reformat in the 20D.

However, be most careful that you do not reformat your computer's hard drive!!!

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up